Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2011, 09:45 AM

3 posts, read 5,221 times

Advertisements

Hello!

We are relocating from Singapore in the near future to Atlanta because of my husband's work. I have never been to Georgia and we haven't lived in the US before. I would REALLY REALLY appreciate any help at all knowing where to live.

My husband will be working in Norcross near Triangle Parkway. We have 2 children (6 and 3) and what is important to us is a fairly short commute to work (up to 30 mins perhaps) and schools!!!

Initially we will rent but ideally we want to buy. We think we have a budget of up to 500k. I love cooking so would love to know where great farmers markets are etc and would like to live somewhere safe. Also, in the future I'd like to go back to work (I'm a stay at home Mum at the moment) so being not too far from some hospitals (I'm a sleep therapist) would be great... But the main priority is good schools and being fairly near my husband's work.

We currently live in Singapore and I love the multicultural aspects but accept that Atlanta might not be as diverse.

Please, please could anyone give me any ideas of nice areas to live. Thank you! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 10:01 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,760,902 times
Johns Creek immediately comes to mind as a good fit for you.

Excellent schools and in your budget range
Less than 10 miles from Norcross
Multicultural - big Asian population nearby (Northview High I believe is 30% Asian)
Hospitals - Emory Johns Creek in the immediate area and North Fulton is 8-10 miles west. The commute to pill hill (Northside and St Johns) is further but do-able.
Food Markets - HMart, Whole Foods and as I recall my sister indicated they have a new farmers market. They also have the typical Publix and Kroger.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:08 AM

Thank you Lorilove for your super speedy reply!

Can you suggest any specific elementary schools - as I believe we have to live in a specific school area?

And also, not that it matters, but I'm not Asian. We are all caucasian and expats from the UK before Singapore. But I have loved the Asian culture here. I am really excited about learning all about American culture now!

Do you think we would be able to afford a house with a big enough garden for growing vegetables?

Thanks!!!

Old 09-07-2011, 10:22 AM

Yes, you will definitely be able to get enough land for a vegetable garden. I know the area because of family members that live there but I am not up to date on elementary schools so I will let others respond. There are many fans of Johns Creek that are regular posters here at CD

Old 09-07-2011, 04:27 PM

3 posts, read 5,565 times
Your husband's job is in Peachtree Corners, not Norcross.

Live in Peachtree Corners! An an absolutely beautiful, wooded area nestled along the Chattahoochee River. We moved here from San Fran and absolutely love it. Diverse--lots of Asians here. Simpson Elementary School is one of the best in the entire metro. Best of all--the commute would be, oh, five minutes? How does that sound to you?

Old 09-07-2011, 04:32 PM

876 posts, read 2,273,830 times
I would rent first, even if it is for a half a year and then buy since you would be new to the area and the country.

Johns Creek / Alpharetta / Roswell (North Fulton county) & Duluth / Norcross (Gwinnett county) areas are good to start with for looking if you want to use public schools for your children, or even private schools. All these areas are ideal for many Asians and people from other countries.

There are other areas to consider as well, but these are good start. Good luck in your decision!

Old 09-07-2011, 08:15 PM

Hi. Thanks so much for all your replies. Living nearby in Peachtree sounds ideal for the commute... but I've heard other things on this forum that Gwinnett County is going downhill. Is that true? Or is it a very large county and therefore where you live specifically might not be bad, but a few miles down the road might be dodgy? It is such a scary thing to try and plan a future from so far away!

I really appreciate all your help!

Old 09-07-2011, 08:30 PM

183 posts, read 352,211 times
I would also suggest that you rent first. Note that you are coming from Singapore (Asia) and your housing budget is "skewed" - in that Asian property prices are a lot higher for a lot less kwim? You will find that you can buy a lot more house for a lot less, but you really need to look around here for a while first and not buy the first thing you see .

Since you're UK expats and do not require an Asian supermarket nearby (like I do lol), I would say focus your search on the School clusters AND your commute, and rent first. Oh, you are mistaken. Atlanta and it's surrounds are QUITE diverse!

Yes, you kinda hit it on the head. Areas can be different in that a few blocks down the road, it's a different area. Again, you will get to know this when you are actually living here and and can spend more time exploring.

I would caution you (IMHO - others might disagree) that with your budget, even if you get a deal in this depressed market, you should factor in the fact that the houses here will not appreciate like those in Asia (or even California) and not expose yourself to too much loss in equity by purchasing too much house.....that's just me.

Good luck!

Old 09-07-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingaporeExpat View Post
Hi. Thanks so much for all your replies. Living nearby in Peachtree sounds ideal for the commute... but I've heard other things on this forum that Gwinnett County is going downhill. Is that true? Or is it a very large county and therefore where you live specifically might not be bad, but a few miles down the road might be dodgy? It is such a scary thing to try and plan a future from so far away!

I really appreciate all your help!
Peachtree Corners is right next door to Johns Creek - you can't go wrong with either one. The difference being Gwinnett vs Fulton County. There are pros and cons on both sides of that argument.

Gwinnett is a huge county so it can be going down hill in one area and still be top notch in another.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:01 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,267,218 times
Hi SingaporeExpat! Welcome to Atlanta!

I'm not going to advise you on location -- sounds like the Peachtree Corners area might be good for you and I'm an intowner so as far as I'm concerned anything outside I-285 (Atlanta's perimeter highway) might as well be Alabama. (Although if you decide you'd rather live intown than out in the suburbs, I'd be happy to chime in!)

However, I am a farmers market fanatic, so I can tell you a bit about that. Unfortunately, of course, I shop intown farmers markets, so I have no actual experience with the ones OTP (outside the perimeter).

However, here are some links for you:

OTP Markets

There's one in Norcross that I've never been to, but should be convenient for you:
The Whistle Stop Farmer's Market in Historic Norcross | norcrossfarmersmarket.com

And here's one that seems to be north of John's Creek (also never been to):
Brookwood Farmers' Market

And I've heard great things about the Dunwoody market (although they don't appear very good at updating their web site):
Untitled Document

There's also one in Snellville:
Snellville Farmers' Market - Fresh, Locally Grown Produce - Home Page - Snellville Farmers Market

There are also some permanent farmers markets:

The Georgia State Farmers Market is south of the city
Farmers Market: the Atlanta Georgia (Forest Park) Farmer's Market - a Guide and Listing of Vendors (not organic but tons of conventional produce)

The DeKalb Farmers Market is a permanent market but doesn't actually have local produce (although it has lots of world cuisine staples and carries organic plus conventional produce as well as meats, cheeses, etc.):
Your Dekalb Farmers Market - A World Market - Atlanta's Best Source Of Affordable Organic Food

But Atlanta is actually experiencing a huge local foods movement and we have a great array of actual farmers markets -- where farmers and local food producers get together in a certain location at certain times to sell direct to consumers. Here's a small sampling. There are also LOTS of amazing farm-to-table restaurants intown.

Peachtree Road Farmers Market - Peachtree Road Farmers Market in Buckhead (FABULOUS)

Decatur Farmers Market -- City of Decatur (2 weekly markets)

Brookhaven Farmers Market | Providing healthy locally-produced food and products for our community - Brookhaven (Buckhead)

Morningside Farmers Market - Morningside (all organic)

East Atlanta Village Farmers Market | A Community Farmers Market - East Atlanta Farmers Market

Grant Park Farmers Market | A Community Farmers Market - Grant Park Farmers Market

PiPC - Green Market for Piedmont Park - Green Market at Piedmont Park

There are others, but this should give you an idea about the farmers market scene around Atlanta. It's thriving and growing.

There are also lots of gardeners in and around Atlanta. Here's are some other links that might interest you:

Crop Mob Atlanta | Crop Mob Georgia - Crop Mob (fun group)

Oakhurst Community Garden Project: - Oakhurst Community Garden in Decatur has frequent classes

Georgia Organics: Georgia Organics -- great organization if you're interested in organic v. conventional food production

Best of luck on your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta