Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 01:45 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,593 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what people out there think Atlanta needs to really be a World Class City. Meaning basically a city that people from all over America and the world would agree is a top destination to visit do business or live.

I have my own ideas:

1. To control traffic growth. Commuter rail NW and NE to Acworth and Duluth, East to Athens, South to Macon. Beltline.

2. To keep strong economy. More high paying jobs in fields like Technology, Art and Fashion, Aeronautics and other industries that bring in money from beyond this region.

3. Continued dense development in Downtown, Midtown, and Buckhead as well as smaller intown neighborhoods.

4. More and larger museums, galleries, theatres.

5. I'd like to see a pedestrian street mall downtown with free street car shuttles.

Alot I know. Love to see your ideas. Be as broad or specific as you wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 10:59 AM

262 posts, read 790,054 times
You got them all. One point, to engage in mass-transit one does not necessarily have to wait for train lines (and train line all the way to Athens/Macon may not be necessary). There seem to be plenty of bus options. People I know at work use the bus to get to the train line. It probably is not the most convenient, but if there is a will there is a way!

Old 08-18-2007, 11:52 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,537 times
Great Post!! Agree with everything above. IMO, the fastest way this is going to happen is to have the midtown retail district improved. Sure people love museums and theater, and this is needed, but why do they really gather outside? To shop!!
Bring on the Midtown Mile! Atlanta Station...just doesn't cut it for me.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:10 PM

26 posts, read 111,586 times
Why strive to be "world class"?

Not that we need to worry about this happening any time soon, but it isn't necessarily a desirable thing for Atlanta to become a so-called "world class" destination to visitors and businesses. Some of us have long ago tired of the constant boosterism and emphasis on growth and more, more, MORE.

A better question might have been, "What does Atlanta need in order to become cleaner, safer and just more liveable in general for the residents?"

Old 08-18-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athensvaasi View Post
You got them all. One point, to engage in mass-transit one does not necessarily have to wait for train lines (and train line all the way to Athens/Macon may not be necessary). There seem to be plenty of bus options. People I know at work use the bus to get to the train line. It probably is not the most convenient, but if there is a will there is a way!
I know there is much talk of using bus instead of rail because it is much cheaper. But the problem with buses is they get stuck in the same traffic with cars (HOV lanes only help a little). I know. I was forced to use both the local and express bus routes as a student in Columbus,Ohio. local buses are about the slowest form of transportation around and express are not much if any faster than cars.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:22 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.E. Roselli View Post

Not that we need to worry about this happening any time soon, but it isn't necessarily a desirable thing for Atlanta to become a so-called "world class" destination to visitors and businesses. Some of us have long ago tired of the constant boosterism and emphasis on growth and more, more, MORE.

A better question might have been, "What does Atlanta need in order to become cleaner, safer and just more liveable in general for the residents?"
Believe this to be true, however why do they have to be mutually exclusive? Not necessarily more, more, more, but just better, better, better. I'd venture to say that all of these changes will certainly make the quality of life better for residents as well as entice visitors. Parks, greenspace, walkability, trams, better retail, museums...I want these things just as much as the guy flying in from Paris!

Old 08-18-2007, 02:31 PM

663 posts, read 1,864,064 times
Atlanta is still a very new town. To become word-class destination to visit, live, work and play, it takes decades and it can only happen naturally. No amount of sloganeering or boosterism will achieve this. It is a feel, that people "just get" when visiting. Atlanta does not have this and may never will. It is sort of like a person who has an aptitude for some skill, versus someone who does not. Effort will only get the latter person so far when trying to compete .....

Old 08-18-2007, 04:36 PM

136 posts, read 478,367 times
I know people at work who have tried the bus. They said it added a half hour each way to their commutes and they were often late. They went back to driving.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.E. Roselli View Post

I don't know. Despite all the pessimissim I just can't help but be optimistic about Atlanta. Maybe it's because it's always been so progressive. It seems every 5 years or so some new thing or things about the city takes it to a new higher level.

I believe growth can't be allowed to get out of control but some things about being bigger can be for the better. More business of the right kind can increase income meaning fewer, smaller low income areas and more high income areas. It also provides more city revenue giving ability to hire more higher quality cops. More density means more of these cops availible per square mile. Criminals are less likely to strike in lively well policed thriving areas. All of these things lead to less crime. Also more revenue for the city to keep up infrastructure and keep the city clean.

It's not just about boosterism. It's about aggressive, proactive planning for the future. Cities like New York, and Chicago didn't just happen. They were founded by and always had very ambitious civic and business leaders. In addition to natural attributes like good harbors.

There's something to be said for just staying small and striving for quality over quantity. (Something southern cities have traditionally been known for) But in economics sometimes sitting still can cause you to stagnate. Too eager to accept mediocrity I think is the reason the South lags in income and educational attainment and has more poverty. That's why I think it's not a bad thing to set and pursue big goals.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:31 PM

26 posts, read 111,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Too eager to accept mediocrity I think is the reason the South lags in income and educational attainment and has more poverty. That's why I think it's not a bad thing to set and pursue big goals.
Thinly veiled insults aside, do a search and see how many long-time residents and natives have actually seen a decline in quality of life here in the past 20 years or so. Several regulars here have mentioned that it isn't a place they can love anymore. As Atlanta's population has expanded (too quickly), only those who profit from the growth seem delighted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta