Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 06:16 AM

29 posts, read 211,157 times

Advertisements

so what months can you really open your windows? I mean, the months that are not hot and humid??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 02:34 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,998,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz0012 View Post
Can someone tell me, is summer THAT bad there? How long (month wise) is the hot around for? If you have bad allergies, should you get the shot before moving there? Any weather or allergy tips?
The summer isn't that bad. Warm, yes, but not too humid. It seems to last a long time, but the more comfortable fall/winter season is also lengthy, and it more than makes up for the summer (in my opinion).

I dunno much about allergies. There's a LOT of pollen from the trees in the spring, though. If you have an allergy to pine pollen, I suspect it would get interesting around here...

Old 08-22-2007, 03:27 PM

98 posts, read 470,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz0012 View Post
so what months can you really open your windows? I mean, the months that are not hot and humid??
You can open your car windows year round since daytime highs in the winter are often around 60F. Summer nights usually in the 70s. AC mainly comes in handy in June/July/Aug, esp afternoon commute stuck in traffic. If people are hot all the time, it's probably related their weight, not the weather.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:54 AM

183 posts, read 1,004,542 times
I open my windows in the house mid September through early December. We are still able to use the pool until early October. It does get Hot here, yesterday it was 100 degrees at 4 in the afternoon. The nights are getting cooler, at least they are in the 70's now. A week ago it was 83 at 5am!

Old 08-23-2007, 05:57 AM

183 posts, read 1,004,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta View Post
You can open your car windows year round since daytime highs in the winter are often around 60F. Summer nights usually in the 70s. AC mainly comes in handy in June/July/Aug, esp afternoon commute stuck in traffic. If people are hot all the time, it's probably related their weight, not the weather.
Maybe it's also related to the amount of physical activity in the heat?

Old 08-23-2007, 10:25 AM

276 posts, read 1,124,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmom View Post
atlantagreg, I had to laugh when you said
"if you have to dress up, you're toast!" That is so true.I find that as soon as I finish running errands, I come home and it's shorts and a tank top. I find going to restaurants I need a sweater then take it off while walking to the car. I guess there is no happy medium. You are either physically melting or publicly shivering! The past two weeks have been HOT! But it is tolerable.Thanks to air conditioning!My favorite time is around Oct. when you can open the windows and have a breeze air out the house!
Hi there,
I am from NH and the humidity there in summer is nothing short of miserable...and central ac what is that lol...oh yeah that isnt the boxes you put in your windows and hope they dont fall and break a window or damage a plant below..Man I dont miss that lol...I live in Fl now and even though it gets to be 95(yeah its HOT) its not really "sticky" ..I was in GA last month when it was 93* out and it was actually very refreshing as there was a nice breeze(which was cool hehe) and I didnt ever sweat(TG). I am so looking forward to the change of seasons(I hope my allergies dont come back..have not any outbreaks since living in Fl and nor have I had a cold except if and when I went back to NH in Nov...)lol...I cant wait to be able to go and open my windows in Oct and get a nice cross breeze and wear a lil sweater if I get chilly...You should see the people that live here in FL ..it hits 70 at night and the winter wear comes out it is hilarious..I saw winter boots in the store today when shopping for school lol. I still have to laugh at that..Anything over 20* is heaven to me in the dead of winter...Have a great day...Lisa

Last edited by nibseysgirl; 08-23-2007 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 06-13-2010, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,080 times
During the summer months you'll see 90+ degrees every day with a relative humidity of about 55%-85%. I've seen the temp as high as 105 in july-august though. There's usually no wind and frequent scattered afternoon thunderstorms just serve to make it even more humid once the 10 minutes of rain stops and the sun comes back out. You'll sweat a lot, but with the humidity and lack of wind, it'll just pour off of you and do no good. I've lived in the southeast all my life and as you can tell I'm not a big fan of the weather here. As for pollen... I don't have allergies, but we get frequent extreme high pollen alerts on a popular weather site especially during spring, but also during the summer. Mosquitos are really the biggest outdoor pest I can think of as they love standing pools of water. Winter months are somewhat mild. Temperatures seem to hover in the 40-60 degree range with an occasional cold snap dropping it down to the teens or a bit lower. Snow in any significant amount is somewhat rare as it is simply not cold enough most of the time. My roommate is from Vegas and despite the higher temps there, he prefers the weather there to here. I currently live in northwest Georgia.

Last edited by mushroombrew; 06-13-2010 at 02:16 PM..

Old 06-13-2010, 03:40 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,604,809 times
As for allergies it depends on what you're allergic to. I struggle with pollen and whatnot, but smog is even worse. We have "orange alert" days when folks with respiratory problems are advised to stay indoors. Even with my best efforts I wheeze a lot in the summer and have a sinus headache pretty much the whole time. Pollen more or less ends in June, but smog is at its worse during the summer.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:11 PM

126 posts, read 317,038 times
Coming from new england, I think its humid down here. Very true about the temperatures, but that only tells half the story. Even at 9am or 9pm, you walk outside of your house and it feels like you're walking into a heat blanket in the summer. You do get used to it, though, at least to some extent.

And absolutely true regarding the type of clothing you wear on a day to day basis. Being one of those unfortunate souls that has to wear a suit to work, it gets interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta