Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 11:37 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times

Advertisements

The route I gave is the one (more or less) I take when i'm Going from ATL/NJ and NJ/ATL. (I stay on i78 and pay the toll (well on my ezpass) going into PA. It not worth the effort/time to get off on US22, and then wind around Phillipsburg/Easton to save the Dollar, to go over the "Free" bridge. Most of the time Going north, I will depart after work, and spend the night in Charlotte, NC. And finish the drive on Saturday. For me Charlotte is a good stopping point (Both North & South bound). From Charlotte, I can go I81, or if the weather is bad (Winter) in the mnts. I can head over to I95, The I95 route has a higher stress level, The I81 route, is a easy no stress route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 01:29 PM

8 posts, read 45,633 times
I gotta check that Harlem bus out ! My cousin told me the toll is supposed to be going up again ! its crazy up there. Pretty soon NY is only gonna be for rich people. real talk.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:51 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee 12 View Post
I gotta check that Harlem bus out ! My cousin told me the toll is supposed to be going up again ! its crazy up there. Pretty soon NY is only gonna be for rich people. real talk.
The toll already increased or is increasing in a couple of days. The Hudson crossings will be $12 if paying by cash, which is still slightly cheaper than the MTA crossings since they're $6.50, but you have to pay each way versus only paying one way on the Hudson crossings (who could fairly charge someone to enter New Jersey?)

Old 09-15-2011, 05:59 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,811,551 times
Two of my kids went to school in North Carolina when we lived in New York. They used to sell their books before heading home at the end of the semester in order to have "toll" money.

We have gone both ways but they always thought 95 was the fastest and more places to stop for food. Also, if there is bad weather, you have more, closer exits if you need to stop.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:13 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,317,925 times
Why did you post this thread in the Atlanta forum? All your toll roads will be in NY and elsewhere up north. I believe the only toll road in GA is a short stretch of 400 in Buckhead.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,286 times
I’m trying to get to New York from Georgia without paying that much in tolls. Do anyone know how I can do that? Also do anyone know how much the tolls are?? Where can I buy an EZ PASS from?
Thank youmodcut

Last edited by Beretta; 10-21-2017 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: English only

Old 10-21-2017, 05:25 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,749,903 times
If you go 95 to 85 there aren't any toll roads once you get out of Baltimore

Old 10-21-2017, 11:29 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSexyRed View Post
I’m trying to get to New York from Georgia without paying that much in tolls. Do anyone know how I can do that? Also do anyone know how much the tolls are?? Where can I buy an EZ PASS from?
Thank youmodcut
If you want to avoid tolls but still follow the route of Interstates 95 and 85 southbound between New York and Georgia, just take U.S. Highway 1 southbound from North New Jersey down to the I-95/I-295 loop outside of Trenton, New Jersey.

When you get to the I-95/I-295 loop outside of Trenton, NJ, get on I-295 southbound towards Bordentown. Stay on I-295 southbound through South New Jersey until the road crosses the Delaware River into the state of Delaware and merges into I-95 southbound towards Newark, Delaware and Baltimore, Maryland.

(...Taking U.S. Highway 1 to I-295 to I-95 from North New Jersey to Delaware will get you around the tolls on the New Jersey Turnpike.)

Take I-95 southbound to the I-695 loop around Baltimore. Take the I-695 loop westbound around the north and west sides of Baltimore until you get back to I-95 where you will take I-95 southbound towards Washington, D.C.

(...Taking I-695 around the north and west sides of Baltimore will help you avoid the tunnel and bridge tolls that you have to pay if you drive through Baltimore.)

Follow I-95 southbound down through the Washington and Richmond areas until you get down to the Petersburg, Virginia area where you will merge onto I-85 southbound towards Durham, North Carolina.

After merging onto I-85 southbound, stay on I-85 southbound through the rest of the state of Virginia and into and through the states of North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia until you get into the Atlanta area.

Last edited by Born 2 Roll; 10-21-2017 at 11:39 PM..

Old 10-22-2017, 07:40 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
Born 2 Roll, you forgot about the toll in Newark, DE on I-95.

Old 10-22-2017, 02:46 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Born 2 Roll, you forgot about the toll in Newark, DE on I-95.
Yeah, that's a good point. Thanks for catching that and pointing that out.

And according to the Delaware Department of Transportation, the tolls for getting through that stretch of I-95 start at $4.00 for a two-axle vehicle and go up to $11.00 for a six-axle vehicle both with and without an E-ZPass.

"I-95 Toll Calculator" (Delaware Department of Transportation)
https://www.deldot.gov/public.ejs?co...licTollRateI95

To get around tolls almost completely (except for maybe some, one can also from the New York City/North New Jersey area take Interstate 78 westbound into the state of Pennsylvania all the way until I-78 westbound ends at I-81.

Take I-81 southbound towards Harrisburg and stay on I-81 southbound out of Pennsylvania and through the states of Maryland, West Virginia and into Virginia until you get to the junction for I-77 in Southwestern Virginia.

Take the ramp for I-77 southbound towards Charlotte, North Carolina and stay on I-77 into North Carolina until you get to the junction with I-85 in the Charlotte area.

When you get to the I-85 junction, take the ramp for I-85 southbound towards Spartanburg. Stay on I-85 southbound into South Carolina and into Georgia until you get to the Atlanta area.

The I-95 to I-85 route is the shorter, slightly more direct route with many more roadside services available along the highway... But the I-95 to I-85 route is also the more congested route, particularly during daylight hours and around holiday and vacation periods. The I-95 to I-85 also seems to have a little bit more construction going on at various spots.

The I-78 to I-81 to I-77 to I-85 route is the slightly longer route which is generally considered to be a somewhat scenic backcountry and generally somewhat less-congested alternative to the generally more congested I-95/I-85 route.

...But the I-78/I-81/I-77/I-85 has fewer roadside services than the I-95/I-85 route (particularly along the I-81 part of the route).

Also, because many more people are now using it as an alternative to the I-95/I-85 route, the I-78/I-81/I-77 route has significantly more traffic (especially TRUCK traffic) than it might have had at times during the past. Not unlike the much more heavily-traveled I-95/I-85 route, the I-81 portion of the I-78/I-81/I-77/I-85 route can experience delays from truck-involved accidents during busier travel times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta