Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 12:38 PM

36 posts, read 81,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
Nothing against the OP since you are just moving to Atlanta, but I don't consider the areas you mentioned "Atlanta". They are not in the city limits.

Like others have stated, most real estate agents specialize in areas or neighborhoods. If someone tells you that they sell everywhere, I would reconsider. If you contacted me, I would refer you to someone else who knows the area like the back of their hand.

Good luck to you!
I don't consider the areas I mentioned as Atlanta either. In my original post, I asked about a realtor's knowledge of neighborhoods "throughout the Atlanta outlaying areas" in the first sentence. Am I in the right forum? If not, can anyone direct me to a forum that would be appropriate to my inquiry? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 12:49 PM

397 posts, read 840,977 times
You may need more than one realtor to get what you want accomplished. Ask each of them pros and cons about what they know of different areas even outside of where they may specialize. As you've already said, you can do some narrowing down on your own on the internet.

I would not sign anything to tie me to just one realtor as that person might not be the one who is ultimately able to help you.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:03 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,237,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFuzzyPony View Post
I don't consider the areas I mentioned as Atlanta either. In my original post, I asked about a realtor's knowledge of neighborhoods "throughout the Atlanta outlaying areas" in the first sentence. Am I in the right forum? If not, can anyone direct me to a forum that would be appropriate to my inquiry? Thanks.
You're in the right place. George's comment about your areas of focus not being in the "City of Atlanta" was kind of bizarre, since the city limits are a relaitvely tiny portion of what people mean when they say "Atlanta."

You probably won't be able to find a realtor with expertise in all the areas you mentioned. There are not enough hours in the day to accommodate all the driving that would be required in order to be well versed in such a vast area.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:17 PM

7,576 posts, read 10,714,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
You're in the right place. George's comment about your areas of focus not being in the "City of Atlanta" was kind of bizarre, since the city limits are a relaitvely tiny portion of what people mean when they say "Atlanta."

You probably won't be able to find a realtor with expertise in all the areas you mentioned. There are not enough hours in the day to accommodate all the driving that would be required in order to be well versed in such a vast area.
not to pick on George... but one thing I find interesting about his comment....

Alot of the "we are Atlanta, but all these other areas are not" arguments often seem to come from the area between Inman Park and Kirkwood. I don't hear them near as much from people elsewhere in the city proper.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:27 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,043,812 times
My comment about the City of Atlanta is that I did not want the OP to think that some of the areas that she listed were in the city limits. As others have noted, she is looking at a range of areas and that no real estate agent would be an expert in all the areas noted.

I am still surprised at how many people do not have the distinction between the City of Decatur and "the other" Decatur.

It's hard to get a lay of the land when you are new to the area.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:36 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,237,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I am still surprised at how many people do not have the distinction between the City of Decatur and "the other" Decatur.
If all the far-flung places people call Decatur were in the Decatur city limits, it'd probably be the biggest city on earth.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:37 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,043,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
If all the far-flung places people call Decatur were in the Decatur city limits, it'd probably be the biggest city on earth.
I know right

Old 09-16-2011, 06:01 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,802,631 times
I think when you are first starting out, you do your basic research, mainly online (although I quickly subscribed to Atlanta magazine to get more of a feel of the city). Hours spent on the computer gathering information on schools, cities,neighborhoods, cities. Then came to Atlanta and spent hours in the car cruising the area from Midtown to Kennesaw, Decatur to Dunwoody, to Chandler Park to Milton. Throw in Marrietta and East Cobb. Lots and lots of notes and pictures. Then able to narrow it down to an area and then to 4-5 high schools and finally 2. Having a fantastic real estate agent who lived and new that area very well was essential.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:18 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,874,736 times
If you have the time and other resources to take roxyrn's approach, that's clearly best. If you have to make a quicker choice, I recommend asking advice from colleagues at the new workplace. My office is in Sandy Springs, and I'm forever grateful to the wife of the senior executive there. We went for a dinner outing with spouses on our quick-look trip to Atlanta, and when my spouse and I expressed that our main concern was school quality (subject to housing affordability and tolerable commute time) she advised us to find a house "anywhere in East Cobb." It was excellent advice.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:25 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,802,631 times
I was lucky- our house in NY didn't sell for 18 months and my husband was already working here for 6 months before that so I did have a lot of time to research and take trips to Atlanta. Also, I would give him assignments to go to look at neighborhoods that had houses I liked online.
But, it is best to hear from someone you trust who lives here. I also felt our real estate agent was very open about the various neighborhoods and gave us excellent advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta