Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 10:57 PM

5 posts, read 25,353 times

Advertisements

What supermarket do you think is better? Does one have better prices though? It seems like Publix and Kroger are the big supermarkets in the north ATL suburbs, are there any other good ones I should know of around Duluth, Johns Creek/Alpharetta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 11:27 PM

562 posts, read 1,790,235 times
Kroger is way cheaper when it comes to regular prices hands down. Publix is a little bit "nicer", so you pay a little more.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:25 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,771,436 times
I like both but shop more at Publix for the following reasons:

1) I find the Publix weekly ad easier to follow for pricing. Publix does alot of BOGO of many of my favorties which I pay attention to and stock up when possible
2) The Kroger's near me are smaller and I often find they don't have some of my basic everday favorites. This is going to change since I live in Smyrna and we are getting one of the largest in the Southeast.
3) Again with the smaller Krogers, the parking lots I find a bit frustrating.
4) I like Publix seafood section much better

There are somethings I like at Kroger I can't get at Publix so I tend to go there when I just need a few things. If you are a coupon user, Kroger has an app where you can download your coupons to your loyalty card and automatically get credit at the store.

If the stores are equally clean and nice, location will always be the trump card.

Right now I have 2 Krogers and 2 Publix within a 3 mile radius but Publix has plans to build one only 1 mile away which would be awesome and elimiate major intersections I currently have to go through.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:12 AM

43 posts, read 116,481 times
Definitely Publix. Prices are very comparable but service and selection is best at Publix. I do use Kroger for sale items and I am going to startgetting my milk there because it is way cheaper.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:24 AM

23,458 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Oh, how I miss the Toco Hill Publix down here on SSI...

Old 07-13-2011, 06:52 AM

329 posts, read 638,071 times
Publix, simply because I do not like to carry a Kroger Plus Card to get the discounted price.

When I used to shop at Kroger, sometimes Kroger cashiers have been nice enough to scan their own plus card, but some have been quite strict and give me a new card and application to fill out. I must have gone through at least 4 of these, so that's why i stopped shopping there unless its after hours.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:58 AM

562 posts, read 1,790,235 times
Wow really, you cant put a little tag on your keychain? The other thing I like about Kroger is the ones in the suburbs have gas stations and for every $100 you spend you get either 5 or 10 cents (cant remember) off each gallon the next time you fill up, and Krogers gas station price are always the lowest to start out with.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:17 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,137 times
I tend to break the tags on the keychain. I definitely prefer Publix, primarily because they carry the brands that I like. There's a small Publix near me that I absolutely adore. I know all the cashiers to the point that when I was on bedrest one volunteered to bring me my groceries. I think Publix is cheaper, at least for the type of stuff I buy, and I go to their site each week to check out specials and BOGOs.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:22 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,085 times
Before the Kroger nearest our house closed down, I did price comparisons on a number of occasions and found Publix was cheaper, overall, for the items I buy. As others have mentioned above, Publix tends to offer a more pleasant shopping experience (nicer-looking stores, fresher produce, better selection and service).

Old 07-13-2011, 07:26 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
I live near a recently refurbished Kroger and a newish Publix. I am price conscious to the extreme with my college boys home for the summer. Kroger saves me a lot more money than Publix. Publix BOGO things are rarely anything I use, and I prefer the Kroger Private Selection brand to the Publix brands.

Kroger meat prices are much lower than Publix (although Costco has better meats than either).

Now Kroger offers $.10 off per gallon up to $1.00/gallon. It recently changed to $.10 per $100.00 spent.

If our Kroger was one of the older ones, I might give Publix more business, because I prefer a clean, modern store. But, since they are comparable, Kroger wins. The store I frequent is always busy, so the turnover of produce and dairy is good.

Publix has a better bakery though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta