U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 01:16 PM

956 posts, read 3,089,324 times

Advertisements

I think i am going to attend!

75 Langley Drive, Lawerenceville, GA

Gwinnett | Gwinnett commissioners to meet with airport consultant Tuesday

LAWRENCEVILLE -- A month after a confrontation over moving forward on Gwinnett's process to study privatizing its airport, commissioners are scheduled to meet publicly with consultants.
#A 90-minute briefing and Q&A will follow Tuesday's 10 a.m. work session.
#"I think everybody recognizes there is a good bit of information to cover," Chairwoman Charlotte Nash said. "We need to focus on getting the questions from commissioners answered."
#The meeting with IMG, a company chosen because of its expertise in airport operations to help guide the privatization considerations, comes after more than a year of discord on the issue.
#Privatization, officials have said, could mean keeping Lawrenceville's Briscoe Field a general aviation airport full of flight schools and small aircraft or it could open the airport to commercial jets.
#The process was placed on hold until after recent elections, but three of the five commissioners voted to move forward with seeking proposals earlier this year. Last month, Nash said the three directed county staff to move forward again, choosing one of four options given in an IMG report. A formal vote was later taken.
#Commissioner Lynette Howard, who voted to move forward and called for the meeting, said she still has a number of questions about the feasibility of the proposals.
#"I want to find out more about the facts behind it so I can make a good decision. We need to have a credible source of information," Howard said, adding that she wanted the group's take on putting together an advisory board of residents as well as the financial possibilities in the different options.
#"After they hear what commissioners say on Tuesday, (IMG) will know how to finish up," a request for proposals, she said. "The decision has been made but there is fine-tuning to it."
#Officials had hoped to arrange the meeting for last week but schedules did not allow that. With all five board members expected to attend, the meeting will be open to the public. It is scheduled to be held in the commission conference room on the second floor of the Gwinnett Justice and Administration Center, but if the crowd is to large it could be moved, Nash said.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 04:17 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,502,241 times
Very insightful article & comments here on the people behind this airport scheme.

A Heartless and Unethical Employment Scheme - Dacula, GA Patch

Old 09-15-2011, 06:28 PM

7,347 posts, read 8,987,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Very insightful article & comments here on the people behind this airport scheme.

If people want to argue against the airport for other reasons that is fine, but this is a little disengious.

It sounds like they are trying to produce bad press... just for the sake of making it sound more negative, rather than relying on the real reasons they might not want the airport...

First off.... It is an op-ed.... Opinion-editorial. Not an article. We don't want to mistakenly confuse it with a new article.

My problem is his points just don't add up.

Is the company not suppose to take resumes? Are they really offering false hope? or... are they just being smart and having resumes (and time to look screen and look through them), so they can start hiring what they need as soon as they have a green light.

The other problem I have is this opinion writer doesn't seem to understand the premise of "economic impact." When economists research money, jobs and transportation connections they don't just analyze "direct impact," but instead how many jobs this can attract in other industries. How much money does something bring into a community... and how many other unrelated service industry jobs that money filters down to from its presence in the area. I haven't seen where this company ever claimed that they themselves would hire 20,000 people. That is a big difference.

Now to be fair. Of course they are trying to sell the idea. They are probably using high estimates, but the point is there is an economic impact that is far beyond just the people they hire at the airport after it is already constructed. Do people have a right to think the numbers this company give them might be high projections and perhaps a little rosy. Absolutely, and they should consider them that way. However, there is a difference how many people they hire directly (a direct impact) and how many jobs the area gains from the economic impact of the increased presence and money coming into the community. This op-ed ignored, nor seemed to understand that difference in his argument.

I understand some people are against this... and that is fine and their right to an opinion. But let them debate the real reasons people are against it, rather than trying to blindly invent every possible reason to be against it.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:32 PM

7,732 posts, read 13,096,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post

Very telling, thanks for the link.

I have a very bad feeling about this particular proposal, from this particular group. Their press releases are laughable, and they seem to have a knack for Brooklynese, used-car salesman style tactics in their talking points.

I don't trust them.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,355 times
Its always a lot easier to criticize than to create.....

Old 09-16-2011, 09:31 AM

johnatl...

I am not here to cause any trouble but I want to speak my mind. I've spoke with Bret Smith, the owner of propel investments several times. He is a visionary who wants to see Atlanta prosper and be taken seriously as a world class city. Moving here recently from Chicago, I can clearly see the pros and cons of Altanta. One thing that Atlanta lacks is investment in infrastructure to support the population growth. No infrastructure = no growth. Why do you think India and China is investing so much into infrastructure? I feel really bad for Bret as what he is trying to do is make Atlanta a better place but yet he gets shot down. JohnAtl, I am not saying that you are an old school, narrow minded native Georgian, but a lot of political and Gwinnett residents opposed to the 2nd airport, in my opinion are narrow minded, afraid of change, and do not see the bigger picture of the new Atlanta... Progressive change and strong leadership is exactly what Atlanta needs to taken seriously as a world class city. I am sorry for being so blunt.. but the MARTA you guys have here is a complete joke.

I would have not risked moving my family, business, and prime years of my life to Atlanta had i not believed that Atlanta had the potential of becoming world class. As I live in Atlanta today.. we are still atleast 15 years behind Chicago when comes to infrastructure.

Last edited by mrpanda; 09-16-2011 at 09:44 AM..

Old 09-16-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
johnatl...

I am not here to cause any trouble but I want to speak my mind. I've spoke with Bret Smith, the owner of propel investments several times. He is a visionary who wants to see Atlanta prosper and be taken seriously as a world class city. Moving here recently from Chicago, I can clearly see the pros and cons of Altanta. One thing that Atlanta lacks is investment in infrastructure to support the population growth. No infrastructure = no growth. Why do you think India and China is investing so much into infrastructure? I feel really bad for Bret as what he is trying to do is make Atlanta a better place but yet he gets shot down. JohnAtl, I am not saying that you are an old school, narrow minded native Georgian, but a lot of political and Gwinnett residents opposed to the 2nd airport, in my opinion are narrow minded, afraid of change, and do not see the bigger picture of the new Atlanta... Progressive change and strong leadership is exactly what Atlanta needs to taken seriously as a world class city. I am sorry for being so blunt.. but the MARTA you guys have here is a complete joke.

I would have not risked moving my family, business, and prime years of my life to Atlanta had i not believed that Atlanta had the potential of becoming world class. As I live in Atlanta today.. we are still atleast 15 years behind Chicago when comes to infrastructure.
Sorry, but I am not a native and am about as progressive as they come. I think this proposal is cheesy. I think his press releases are cheesy. Anyone that claims a passing MARTA train is louder than a corporate jet is insane in my opinion, and has some sort of agenda.

Many of us believe Atlanta already is world class. They don't award the Olympics to backwater cities.

Chicagoland is approximately twice the size of metro Atlanta. Chicago itself has been a large city much, much longer than Atlanta has - so of course they will be ahead of us in infrastructure, as they should be.

MARTA is a complete joke to you, but over 250,000 people use it every day, as I do to commute Downtown to work. Complaining about the number of stops between Doraville and the Airport is ridiculous to me, as the same exact thing could be said of someone taking the CTA from Skokie to Midway. MARTA is not commuter rail like Metra, it is urban rapid transit like the CTA.

You seem to really love it here, and I am happy for you. However, you seem to be pinning all your hopes for the future and this "global status" you seek on one thing and one thing only - a second airport on the Northside. I'm just trying to let you know you are in for a huge letdown if this is the deciding factor of whether or not Atlanta becomes "global" in your and/or others views.

Again, Delta doesn't want it, Southwest doesn't want it and the City would fight it for years and years. It isn't going to happen in most of our lifetimes, if ever. Period.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeDavidson View Post
Its always a lot easier to criticize than to create.....
Sometimes, sometimes not. Cheesy proposals such as this deserve to be criticized.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:13 AM

Alright JohnAtl... fair enough....

Are you willing to do a friendly wager.. that we do have a second airport in Atlanta on northside, even though it may not be Briscoe? let's say by 2020 In order for a city to become world class... you need a second airport. San Francisco has it, Chicago has it, New York has it, and Los Angeles... Atlanta is the only one without a second airport.

By 2020... if Atlanta doesn't not have a 2nd airport on the northside by 2020... I'm packing up again, selling off all my Altanta real estate and moving the Panda family to Newport Beach, California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Sorry, but I am not a native and am about as progressive as they come. I think this proposal is cheesy. I think his press releases are cheesy. Anyone that claims a passing MARTA train is louder than a corporate jet is insane in my opinion, and has some sort of agenda.

Many of us believe Atlanta already is world class. They don't award the Olympics to backwater cities.

Chicagoland is approximately twice the size of metro Atlanta. Chicago itself has been a large city much, much longer than Atlanta has - so of course they will be ahead of us in infrastructure, as they should be.

MARTA is a complete joke to you, but over 250,000 people use it every day, as I do to commute Downtown to work. Complaining about the number of stops between Doraville and the Airport is ridiculous to me, as the same exact thing could be said of someone taking the CTA from Skokie to Midway. MARTA is not commuter rail like Metra, it is urban rapid transit like the CTA.

You seem to really love it here, and I am happy for you. However, you seem to be pinning all your hopes for the future and this "global status" you seek on one thing and one thing only - a second airport on the Northside. I'm just trying to let you know you are in for a huge letdown if this is the deciding factor of whether or not Atlanta becomes "global" in your and/or others views.

Again, Delta doesn't want it, Southwest doesn't want it and the City would fight it for years and years. It isn't going to happen in most of our lifetimes, if ever. Period.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Alright JohnAtl... fair enough....

Are you willing to do a friendly wager.. that we do have a second airport in Atlanta on northside, even though it may not be Briscoe? let's say by 2020

By 2020... if Atlanta doesn't not have a 2nd airport on the northside by 2020... I'm packing up again, selling off all my Altanta real estate and moving the Panda family to Newport Beach, California.
Sorry, I just don't see it. This has been talked about for decades now. Decades. Atlanta even bought land in rural Paulding and Dawson Counties back in the 70's planning for this. It still hasn't happened.

Delta runs the show here, along with Southwest after the AirTran merger. They are totally against the idea. No other airline has come forward saying they favor it or would serve a new airport. If a site is eventually picked and agreed upon, the NIMBY's would go to war to stop it. I know the history of this after living here for 25 years.

I guess you better keep abreast of Orange County real estate prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta