Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which amoung these 5 cities do you like the best and why?
Sandy Springs population 93,853 20 33.90%
Roswell population 88,346 13 22.03%
Johns Creek population 76,728 14 23.73%
Alpharetta population 57,551 13 22.03%
Marietta popultion 56,579 7 11.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 10:36 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,822,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Folks seem to talk about places that have houses "with character". Does that simply mean old houses? What is character in a house?
When I hear someone say "with character", I think it means an older house in sort of the same way that cozy means small.

I also thing it means more sturdy construction and perhaps a few long past creature features. Lord knows I'm strugling to come up with anything under than a wide porch with huge banister, a winding staircase, or a laundry room with sinks. Maybe it can even refer to real hardwood floors, but I kind of get what is being said.

Even though I went for something newer that I'm not altogether sure a big bad wolf could not have huffed and puffed and blew down, it doesn't meant that was my first choice. I just felt like I was getting more square footage for my money or in the grand schem of things didn't think it through.

If someone like me said they wanted a home with character, I'd not want click clack leggo floors and perhaps not a set of stories. It doesn't mean I like the bungalow style but even though it apparently took me a month of Sundays to say it lol, something with a yard, a fence, good neighbors, and doesn't look like everything else on the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 12:35 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,994 times
Quote:
Folks seem to talk about places that have houses "with character". Does that simply mean old houses? What is character in a house?
I think it means no front-facing garage doors. Bonus points for no garage, detached garage or carport, but the key is not to have the garage doors in front. A structure with front-facing garage doors inevitably looks like a garage (or warehouse, depending upon size and aspect) with attached housing, and is fundamentally incompatible with architectural character.

But that could just be me.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:11 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,778,928 times
Although there's quite a few Smyrna homes being built with rear-entry garages so they can have close access to the sidewalk in the front (at the expense of back yards), or sides on bigger homes, garage door placement isn't everything. In fact, in Connecticut, I have never seen a rear-entry garage. That's more of a Southern thing (alley concept). Most garages in Connecticut are in front, and some on the side.

To me, character is something that doesn't look cookie-cutter, and has some custom aspects to it (even if some may come with the house when built) like crown moulding, fancy patios off the deck, custom kitchen, doors, fences and gates (like arched or moon gates or wrought iron), etc etc. Craftsmen homes tend to have a lot of character. However, you can take any home, even a mcmansion and give it a sense of character.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
In fact, in Connecticut, I have never seen a rear-entry garage. That's more of a Southern thing (alley concept).
I'd be rather shocked if you never saw a house like this in CT, since it's the single most common style.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's Science that character is all about the absence of front-facing garages. They've done experiments and stuff.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
I'd be rather shocked if you never saw a house like this in CT, since it's the single most common style.
That's a farm-house or a faux farmhouse style. It was the most common style in the 1800s and earlier, and a lot of them don't have garages at all unless they were added later..

Newer homes would be a saltbox or colonial and typically have garages in front unless they are on the corner, then it's on the side

Old 07-08-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
That's a farm-house. It was the most common style in the 1800s, and a lot of them don't have garages at all unless they were added later.
It's a Colonial, dude. Many newer Faux Colonials have front-facing garages, and you'll notice that something has mysteriously leeched all the character out of them.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:28 PM

212 posts, read 286,648 times
All the North Fulton cities are excellent but my choice is Johns Creek for the best schools.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
It's a Colonial, dude. Many newer Faux Colonials have front-facing garages, and you'll notice that something has mysteriously leeched all the character out of them.
Most colonials in CT not in Fairfield county were built in the 60s through 1990, with a few built before the U.S. existed, and most have front-entry garages. During the late 1800s they built mostly farmhouses and victorians. Most contemporaries in CT built in the 70s and 80s have front-entry garages. During that time period, homes were cookie-cutter and it was rare to have something custom. Side entry if it was on the corner. My father had a high-priced custom contemporary built in 87, and even that had front-entry garage, as did all houses on that street except one.

The street it was off of had mostly capes and colonials built in the 60s and 70s. Most with front entry garages. There was an exception here or there, of course.

This is an example of a new multi-million dollar colonial (Glastonbury, CT) with a side entry garage, but it seems like they weren't 100% sure I thought this was funny.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:51 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,399,796 times
Quote:
A house with character means the opposite of builder basic and cookie cutter. Something that is unique, and unlike what is usual to see. Something different from you see in every single subdivision you drive into or see at an open house.

Character could mean archways between rooms, antique door knobs, a stained glass window in the entry way, hardwood floors original to the home, floor to ceiling windows, tile imported from Italy, built-ins in the dining room, a balcony off the master, etc. You get the idea...

Old 07-09-2014, 03:01 PM

80 posts, read 143,103 times
So since we're talking about character (and man, I'm glad other people notice this besides me), what is the best place in the area to find a house with character <220k (even if its a fixer upper), that would be commutable if I were to move there and work in Cumming? I'm not finding anything out that direction other than Gainesville that has any character in that price range. And like I said, I don't mind a fixer upper; might actually even prefer it. There is just something about the older, more established homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta