Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which amoung these 5 cities do you like the best and why?
Sandy Springs population 93,853 20 33.90%
Roswell population 88,346 13 22.03%
Johns Creek population 76,728 14 23.73%
Alpharetta population 57,551 13 22.03%
Marietta popultion 56,579 7 11.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2011, 12:16 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,307,719 times

Advertisements

Haven't spent a whole lot of time in Marietta, but the little I have just dont remember anything special about it. Alpharetta, Johns Creek...just more of the same upper-middle class and wannabe upper-middle class cookie cutter, oversized McMansion wannabe neighborhoods with a ton of strip malls, crappy restaurants and big box stores. Roswell, somewhat like those, but not as bad, plus it has a nice downtown. Sandy Springs, still bland suburbia, but not as bad as the others and much closer to things.

So Sandy Springs gets my vote!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 05:41 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,687,126 times
I would pick Sandy Springs because it is close to everything Buckhead has to offer. I also like how some parts are ITP. Johns Creek is a bit to far from the city for me.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:20 AM

1,708 posts, read 3,414,173 times
SS

1) I grew up there.
2) Houses have more character
3) More central location vs others on list
4) Close to the highway
5) Close to my friends
6) Closer to good restaurants
7) Less transplants (some may view this as negative)

Old 12-13-2011, 08:48 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,526,391 times
I would actually probably rank the degree of desirability in order of how you listed in the title: SS, Roswell, Johns Creek/Alpharetta (consider these the same, although I know they are not) and Marietta. Sandy Springs I prefer because of being closer to town, "older" feeling, fairly large lots, easy access to other surrounding areas (Buckhead, Perimeter, Vinings) and I like Chastain Park on it's southern edge. While I do like Roswell's tiny little downtown, the rest of it seems the same as every other norhtern burb, except I do like the many parks and location on the river. Johns Creek/Alpharetta are very nice, in the same way a Honda Accord is "nice." Dependable, consistent, not much risk. Marietta is okay, but I just don't like Cobb county after living there for a few years. Also, some parts of it just seem too blighted to me.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:01 PM

9 posts, read 13,453 times
We moved to Roswell because of the small town community feel. The trails and parks have been a HUGE bonus.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:03 PM

9 posts, read 13,453 times
East Cobb is very nice too. Its close to the Roswell charm.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:17 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,761,224 times
Another OLD thread being bumped.

I choose Smyrna, and since it's not on here, I'm conflicted because Smyrna sits between Marietta (incorporated) and Sandy Springs, and both are more similar to Smyrna than the other in some ways, but not in others.

I guess I'll just wait until Smyrna passes one of the top 5 metro cities in population, then vote for it.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:27 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,809,371 times
Of the choices listed, I like Sandy Springs ITP the most. I don't totally dislike it OTP or totally love it ITP, but the closer you get to Abernathy, the less I like it. So what do I like about it? There are restaurants, grocery stores, drug stores, gyms, and what not within walking distance on flat land. It's pretty close to Chastain Park. For the most part it's safe although there are some sketchy areas. It's pretty close to the city but not far fron the NW suburbs.

As a second choice, I kind of like Roswell. I can't quite put my finger on why, but I do find it comfortable and enjoy spending time there. I think it may be that I get along well with the people.

If I had children, I'd could probably go along with Alpharetta. It relatively new and it has stuff and good schools.

If push came to shove, I'd move to Marietta but I'm not a big fan. It's kind of old like Norcross, but I guess mainly I don't want to get hemmed up with mostly 75 and 41 my only way out.

I'm unclear exactly where Johns Creek is so I don't have an opinion about it. I know it's in the northeast but am unsure whether it's a part of Alpharetta that broke off or some place in Gwinnett Co. I'll just go with the fact that I have never had a reason to visit and take that an indication that it's place I'd move on the list.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:41 AM

1,236 posts, read 1,395,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
These five cities represents the top 5 most populous cities in metra Atlanta. Which city do like most and why? If you live in one of these cities why did you decide to move there over the other cities?
None of these would be my choices to live, but if I had to choose, it would be Sandy Springs. Only thing about Sandy Springs is, most of it's so tucked away, and doesn't provide very good immediate interstate access.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:01 AM

10,739 posts, read 13,329,013 times
Folks seem to talk about places that have houses "with character". Does that simply mean old houses? What is character in a house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta