Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2007, 04:43 AM

371 posts, read 1,555,494 times

Advertisements

Well, my company has finally decided to set up it's new headquarters in Atlanta, which is a bit of a relief for me as I travel back and forth quite a lot from London and to be honest have quite fallen for Atlanta, we could easily have ended up in L.A. but thankfully not.

So I will be looking at making the move from hotels to a rented place in the spring, I'm in town again in a few weeks so will start looking in earnest then, it would be nice to hear advice from people, I am a single(divorced), guy, early forties and have no interest in hearing from potential soul mates, I am actually looking for a normal circle of friends with no pressure to be paired up, I have been living that hell in London for years now, I enjoy a good relationship with my soon to be teen daughter, I don't need anyone trying to compete with that.

So in order of importance, I would like to hear from people who can introduce me to nice areas, city based to live in, with good community and a relaxed social scene. A good gym with reasonably priced personal training as I am lazy unless encouraged. Non city activities like trail motorcycle riding, sailing, both of which I do, also new activities that as an Englishman I have probably not tried.

I like a balance between arts and more energetic past times, an odd mix but I am somewhat eclectic. I like jazz, rock and often as not more modern music forms, history, sport, cycling etc...

Hope to hear from similar people already based in Atlanta, it's often difficult to make new friends in a new city but I'm off to a new country as well so help me out.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 07:08 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times
You sound like an "ITP" (Inside the Perimeter) kind of guy. There will be more options regarding casual entertainment, music, art, spectator sports... As far as recreation goes, you will need to leave the city and head north (mountain or trail biking), or northeast to a lake for sailing (check out the Lake Lanier sailing club). I suppose another option would be to live toward the lake and commute into town as needed. The biggest problem with that option is that you will most likely end up in a subdivision with families and ladies who will fall over themselves trying to fix you up!
Welcome!

Old 08-20-2007, 07:58 AM

697 posts, read 3,021,331 times
I agree that it sounds like you'd probably prefer to be inside the Perimeter, but much will depend on where your company locates -- if they set up shop out on Windward Parkway, you're probably not going to love living in, say, Grant Park. Even if the company locates in the suburbs, you can probably find someplace that'll have the feel you're looking for -- many of the older towns in the suburbs (Roswell, Chamblee, Suwanee, Tucker, etc.) have "downtown" areas that are redeveloping along slightly more urban lines -- loft apartments, town homes, etc., with shops & restaurants within walking distance. Since it doesn't sound like you'll have to worry about schools, that opens up a number of areas that might not be viable otherwise. But by all means try to locate within a reasonable commuting time (note -- time, not distance) from work. Imagine what the difference between 3.5 hrs per week spent commuting (average of 20 mins each way daily) and 10 hrs per week commuting (average of an hour each way daily) would do to your overall quality of life and degree of happiness -- that's nearly a full work-day's worth of time every week. So figure out where you'll be working and tailor your search for housing on that basis.

The sailing thing may be a bit tougher to accommodate, unless perhaps you locate in Buford or someplace else close to Lake Lanier, but that'd generally mean living a much more suburban/rural life, and possibly longer commutes. I used to crew for my boss in the regular Wednesday night big boat races on Lanier, and it took a hour to get there from our office in Norcross -- you could probably double that from most intown locations.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:37 AM

387 posts, read 1,593,675 times
... if you have any love for that teeny-tiny creek that flows through London , I suggest soaking it all in now before you come to Atlanta. This place is land-locked and basically devoid of water. Live in-town though... Virginia Highlands would be a cool place for you, maybe a tad bit younger professionals, but do you really have a problem with that? I mean... really.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:36 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishintown View Post
it would be nice to hear advice from people, I am a single(divorced), guy, early forties and have no interest in hearing from potential soul mates,

So in order of importance, I would like to hear from people who can introduce me to nice areas, city based to live in, with good community and a relaxed social scene.
You might like the somewhat "village" feel of the Virginia Highlands neighborhood, then. Quaint, quirky, individually owned shops instead of strip malls, yet it's intown, not far from most all the intown stuff, close to Piedmont Park (our version of Central Park). If you're homophobic you might not like it as it's probably 25% gay in that area, but more and more younger couples/singles/parents are also relocating to that area.

You don't need a soul mate here - hookers are cheap.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 08-20-2007 at 09:58 AM..

Old 08-20-2007, 09:51 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
Default Inside the Perimeter

I would have to agree with everyone that you MUST live inside the perimeter. If you look at a map of Atlanta - there is a highway (I-285) that circles the city and anything inside of it is considered inside the perimeter while everything outside is outside the perimeter or "OTP".

First - do you know where you office will be? MARTA, Atlanta's subway system is nothing like the London Tube so most likely, like everyone else, you will have a car. Everyone drives in Atlanta because it can get too bloody hot in the city (today's temp is suppose to be 94F). I use MARTA to go to sporting and concert events downtown and to the airport. Otherwise - the subway does not have that many stops that the average commuter uses. The website for the MARTA train system and bus routes can be found at MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority. So since everyone drives, there will be lots of traffic. Hopefully your office will be in Midtown/Downtown and you can get a condominium there and actually take public transportation to and from work.

Midtown: This is an exciting place as there is a large public park - Piedmont Park that is lovely greenspace in the city. Lots of highrises for businesses, residents, shopping and restaurants. The Midtown Alliance is a non-profit group that has really been molding the area. The website is Midtown Alliance. The Symphony, High Museum of Art, Alliance Theater are just a few of the big cultural site in Midtown. Many of the highrises are small for Atlanta standards (one bedroom units around 700 square feet to a nice sized 900 square feet) and are expensive for Atlanta standards too. Midtown will become Atlanta's smaller version of Manhattan.

In my opinion, the suburbs are more for people who would like to have large open spaces and lots of square footage in a home. I think that life is very different OTP than inside. Yes it is more expensive to live inside the perimeter (housing and taxes). But my guess coming from London, you would need and want the stimulation that the City has to offer (although much less than London!)

I live in Inman Park. The neighborhood website is Inman Park and the neighborhood is the first planned neighborhood founded in 1890. There was a direct route via a horse drawn trolley from the neighborhood to downtown Atlanta. Many Victorian houses still dot the landscape of the neighborhood and everything has to have an "older" look such as front porches for new construction. I can walk to restaurants and now some shopping and walk to the MARTA train station too.

Atlanta will be a bargain for you compared to the UK and Europe! The pace is much slower in Atlanta and when you get outside of Atlanta into the southern parts of the state - the tempo is even slower. Atlanta is considered part of the "new south" so whatever negative comments you have heard about "southerners" is probably true but they do not live within the perimeter of Atlanta. Overall I think that the people in Atlanta are very nice and welcoming and you will find it an easy city to get adapted to and live in. Delta Airline is headquartered here so flights back to the UK should be no problem.

Water...um we have no water literally - we are in a drought. To see water you will have to go to Lake Lanier which is an hour drive north of the city and where some water sports were held during the 1996 Olympics. The Chattahoochee Nature Center is only 15-20 minutes away and has more rafting, biking and jogging. In the city we have the Path which is 20 miles of paved area for walking, jogging and biking. The website is PATH Foundation. It gets very hot in Atlanta in the summer so we all go from air conditioning to air conditioning.

Other hot areas of town are Virginia Highlands, Morningside, Castleberry (loft district).

Last edited by jxu66; 08-29-2007 at 08:46 PM..

Old 08-20-2007, 04:41 PM

371 posts, read 1,555,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
You might like the somewhat "village" feel of the Virginia Highlands neighborhood, then. Quaint, quirky, individually owned shops instead of strip malls, yet it's intown, not far from most all the intown stuff, close to Piedmont Park (our version of Central Park). If you're homophobic you might not like it as it's probably 25% gay in that area, but more and more younger couples/singles/parents are also relocating to that area.

You don't need a soul mate here - hookers are cheap.
I have never had an issue with peoples sexual orientation, the colour of their skin or there religious affiliations. I have seen Virginia Highlands signed while driving but have not checked it out yet, thanks for the pointer.

So Piedmont Park is where you get murdered by gangs at night? Or did you mean it is a big green area in the middle of town?

I have had a look around Midtown, Atlantic Station and like it, I will have to give Buckhead a miss though, a bit to "bling" for me, although it is possible we will have offices around there.

I like the idea of a more bijou rather than manufactured neighborhood so maybe Virginia Highlands will be even more likeable than Atlantic Station.

I've never paid for sex, except during my years of marriage and then payment did not always lead to sex.(ouch)

Old 08-21-2007, 07:34 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
So Piedmont Park is where you get murdered by gangs at night? Or did you mean it is a big green area in the middle of town?

I like the idea of a more bijou rather than manufactured neighborhood so maybe Virginia Highlands will be even more likeable than Atlantic Station.

I've never paid for sex, except during my years of marriage and then payment did not always lead to sex.(ouch)
Well, technically, Piedmont Park closes either after dark or at 11pm, I can't remember which. Either way, once it's closed you're not supposed to be in there or the cops will chew you out or just take you in. You almost never hear of anything bad going on in the park though - during the day there's enough people to keep crime down, and again, no law abiding person is in there at night anyway.

Atlantic Station is unique in that it now sits on what was once an old a bandoned factory area. So compared to that, it's a great asset to the city. However, it is a bit "trendy generic" in terms of style and uniqueness. Also keep in mind it is right next to the "Connector" section of highways that meet downtown, meaning, some of the worst traffic in the Southeast is right next to you if you live there. My guess is that there is enough car exhaust (ozone) levels that if someone did a detailed test, the air quality bubble around Atlantic Station isn't exactly the highest.

Paying for sex in a marriage - I'll leave that one alone. LOL

Old 08-21-2007, 08:33 AM

71 posts, read 333,953 times
Quote:
A good gym with reasonably priced personal training as I am lazy unless encouraged.
Would you run for beer?

This is the Home Page of the Atlanta Hash House Harriers and Harriettes

Don't know if you've ever heard of hashing but the concept was founded by an English expat in Malaysia and is now done all over the world. It's a great way to drop into an instant friendly beer drinking social group and the crazy trails you follow each week take you through some of the most interesting sights in and around Atlanta (not all terribly scenic mind!) that most people never get to see. There is also a wheelhopper hash in Atlanta, same concept but on bicycles.

Good luck with the move, hope the culture shock isn't too great for you. I came over from Plymouth and didn't realise how different living in Atlanta would really be. For me, finding the hash really helped when I thought I'd never be able to think of Atlanta as a nice place to live.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:47 AM

96 posts, read 405,567 times
Quote:
I have never had an issue with peoples sexual orientation, the colour of their skin or there religious affiliations. I have seen Virginia Highlands signed while driving but have not checked it out yet, thanks for the pointer.

I have had a look around Midtown, Atlantic Station and like it, I will have to give Buckhead a miss though, a bit to "bling" for me, although it is possible we will have offices around there.

Piedmont Park is relatively safe. It's the main city park of Atlanta. They have art and music festivals there. They also have a large dog park there, a pond, baseball fields, etc. In 25 years of residing in Atlanta, I have visited that park on many occasions and I have always felt safe. I love having picnics on the hill underneath the big oak trees.

There are many historic neighborhoods around Atlanta. Atlantic Station is pretty prefab. Virginia Highlands is nice but pretty expensive. I like any where between there and Decatur. You will find some really nice neighborhoods with older, well built homes and sidewalks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta