Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 03:19 PM

3 posts, read 3,480 times

Advertisements

This is all extremely helpful! My interest in Decatur has grown based on this thread and I'm wondering if there are any other areas (other than the 30030 zip) that I could expand my search to? I did a preliminary search of Decatur and found what looks to be two decent homes in what I'm guessing would be considered Decatur (postal) and based on the asking prices alone, I'm second guessing the neighborhoods. They were in the Highland Park and Glen Haven subdivisions. Would they be worth visiting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 03:22 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,040,774 times
The two listings you mentioned are not the City of Decatur. Look for 30030 for the zip code and Decatur High as the high school.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:27 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,040,774 times
Here's a good list of neighborhoods and condo associations in the City of Decatur.

City of Decatur : Neighborhood Groups

Old 09-20-2011, 08:08 PM

16,644 posts, read 29,343,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Something_New View Post
Greetings all! My husband and I are ready for a change and have started considering moving South. We've both been to Atlanta, but haven't spent enough time there to be familiar with the neighborhoods. I've described our situation below and welcome any feedback you can offer, as we will be visiting in the coming weeks!

1. Budget: Approximately $200-265K
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Single Family House
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) The hubby will need to commute to the airport and I'll probably do some consulting from home for at least a year, but would still love to be close to Downtown Atlanta.
4. Children(public school vs. private) None as of yet, but would still love to be in a good school district as we're hoping to have a little one soon.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: We're more urban than suburban, but a mix would be ideal! I'd love to have some shopping and restaurants nearby as well as some good parks and recreation.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Not important, we both drive.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. Diverse neighborhood, preferably with young professionals (we're in our early 30's) and families. A good sense of community would be great, but safety is priority!

Have started looking at Smyrna, Mableton, Douglasville...have also looked at Peachtree City, but fear I'd be bored out of my skull! Please also share your thoughts on some of the best areas in Southern Atlanta. Thanks!
Based on your criteria/list, I highly recommend the Smyrna/Mableton/Vinings Area of southern Cobb County.

Reasons--
-Affordable/Middle-Upper Middle Class
-Quick, Easy Access to Airport
-Quick, Easy Access to Downtown Atlanta
-Great Urban/Suburban Mix
-Good/Great Schools
-Very Diverse and Professional
-Great Shopping/Restaurants at Cumberland Mall, Smyrna Town Green, and Vinings Village
-Silver Comet Trail
-Beautiful Single-Family Homes--so many options/styles!

I would start your search by looking at homes/neighborhoods by elementary school district. Start with these districts first (great schools):

Kings Springs Elementary
Nickajack Elementary
Mableton Elementary
Teasley Elementary
Brown Elementary

Then, if needed, take a look at homes/neighborhoods in these districts (good schools):

Skyview Elementary
Russell Elementary
Harmony-Leland Elementary

Here is a helpful map:
http://www.cobbk12.org/centraloffice...Elementary.pdf

(I gave a similar recommendation just recently on another thread... //www.city-data.com/forum/20958467-post8.html)

I hope this helps. Not everyone can or should try to live in the City of Decatur (though the area is great just like everyone said--I lived and worked in the City of Decatur for nearly 5 years). I just think the Smyrna/Mableton/Vinings Area fits your criteria perfectly.
(And there is no need to settle all the way down in Newnan/Coweta and/or Peachtree City/Fayette if you want more "urban" and fear boredom--though both are great areas too!)

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta