U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2007, 09:59 AM

167 posts, read 712,000 times

Advertisements

Could you tell me about Vinings Estates Eastgate? What's the difference between this community in Vinings Estates and Vinings Estates in general? Is it more diverse? How are the public schools in the Eastgate area? Is there great shopping nearby? How far is the commute from this area of Mableton to midtown Atlanta? Are the houses really worth the amount I've seen at ReMax's website ($400K+)?

Thanks for any help!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 11:41 AM

426 posts, read 2,191,999 times
Vinings Estates is a HUGE community with two entrances, one off of Cooper Lake Road and one off of Pebblebrook Road. Smyrna has annexed the entire community, half used to lie in Mableton and half in Smyrna. The whole community was annexed because the Mableton residents wanted to go to the higher achieving Smyrna schools.

Eastgate at Vinings Estates is right accross from Vinings Estates at the Pebblebrook Road entrance. Eastgate still lies in Mableton and is in the low performing Pebblebrook district as a result. Many of the homestyles in the two communitities resemble eachother.

That part of town (Mableton) is growing like wildfire. You would be like a block or two from Whitefield Academy if you chose the private school path. There are homes being built accross the street from Whitefield off Buckner with a starting price at 1.2 million dollars. Further down Buckner there is a subdivision with home prices starting in the high 700s. More and more of the old homes in that area are being bought up and being torn down for multiple upscale homes. The other subdivisions along Buckner, Pebblebrook, Cooper Lake, and Veterans have homes priced from the mid 200s to the low 500s.

If private school is not an option I would suggest moving into Vinings Estates so you caa be zoned to Nickajack Elem., Griffin Middle, and Campbell High which are all decent schools. They are no where near the best in the state but Campbell sends more students to UGA than any other college just like Walton, Northview, and Chattahoochee, some of the top performing public high schools in the state.

Since the two communities are right accross the street from eachother, it wouldn't hurt to move into Vinings Estates to be in a better school district. According to the john wieland homes website, there are still homes priced in the mid 400s in Vinings Estates...and for all you get with that neighborhood and the ultimate convience it offers, yes, it well worthit if you can afford that price range.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:56 PM

426 posts, read 2,191,999 times
Yea, I am sorry about that. I thought Eastgate was annexed too but found out on the John Wieland website that only Vinings Estates has been annexed. I tried to go back to say that Eastgate is in the lower performing school district but I guess I forgot about that first paragraph. The Mableton schools you would be zoned to if you lived in Eastagte would be Hamony Leland Elem, Lindley Middle, and Pebblebrook High. No one would put these schools in high esteem. They might improve in the future due to all the new higher end development in the area but for right now, these schools just are not up to par.

Also, Campbell has an International Baccalaurate(IB) program available to everyone in the county, provided they are admittted into that program. The kids from IB get into every prestigeous college in the nation. In 2005 four kids went to Harvard. IB is in my opinion, the toughest curriculum any high schooler can endure. Because the curriculum is so challenging many find college to be a breeze and feel very prepared.

Also, the Honors and AP track is very good at that school as well. In 2005 the school boasted that out of the students who took AP courses, 80% passed with a 3 or better. In your child's junior year they take one AP course, AP U.S. History and if they recieve an 85 or better in the class during their senior year they are allowed to take up to six AP courses, and there are many many courses to choose from. Campbell also has many foreign languages available including French, Spanish, Latin, German, and Japanese. So long as they don't choose the "regular" track, which is basic non-challenging high school curriculum, they will recieve a very good education. Campbell is not as good as other schools over all because the vast majority of the students choose not to opt for the more challenging curriculum whereas greater numbers would at schools like Walton and Northview.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:10 PM

3,479 posts, read 6,624,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
If private school is not an option I would suggest moving into Vinings Estates so you caa be zoned to Nickajack Elem., Griffin Middle, and Campbell High which are all decent schools. They are no where near the best in the state but Campbell sends more students to UGA than any other college just like Walton, Northview, and Chattahoochee, some of the top performing public high schools in the state.
Since when is having more students go to UGA a sign of greatness in a school system?

(Note: I am a graduate student at Georgia Tech.)

Old 08-21-2007, 07:05 AM

167 posts, read 712,000 times
Thanks for you response.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:10 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,055,188 times
The Campbell HS district is still very poor performing, but compared to Pebblebrook it might as well be Pace Academy! All the schools in this general area are far from the best (actually they are not really even average), but I'm a big believer in instilling the values, confidence, and drive in your children so that they want to seek out the best in what is available and succeed regardless. I would agree with stvincent, though, that avoiding being in the Pebblebrook HS district is always a smart decision - even though Campbell and it's feeder schools are still poor, it's probably a solid 5-10 years ahead of the surrounding areas in terms of "fixing" the system. If you end up living in Pebblebrook, though, check out the Mableton Charter school, which started last year. Everyone in my old development sent their kids there.

stvicent's general assessment of the area is right on, though. I used to live in the Providence development (another Wieland community on Veterans Memorial Hwy, about 5 minutes from Vinings Estates) and my old boss lives in one of the custom homes in V. Estates, and I really believe this area will continue to boom. My big recommendation, however, would be to focus on resale homes - you can find $400k houses that are 3-7 years old and I, personally, try to avoid "new construction" now that I realize that builders try to create "false appreciation" as a development ages. Example - you can't buy a new house in VE for less than $600k right now, but most resales are in the $400-500k range. So if you bought a new home there, then got transferred out of state 3 months from now, you basically just lost $100k?!?! Doesn't make sense, does it?

One thing that I personally did not like about this area is the lack of GOOD retail nearby. The shopping/restaurants out the East-West Connector are generic and kind of depressing in their strip-mallishness. Vinings is pretty good, but you're driving a solid 15-20 minutes to get there. Same with Smyrna. I will say, however, that if you're looking in that lower-Smyrna/Mableton area, Vinings Estates is your best bet and, especially if you go the resale route, you will see some nice appreciation in, say, 5 years as the area continues to grow.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:15 AM

160 posts, read 554,508 times
So spacelord and stvincent, are you recommending the resales in Vinings Estates over Providence? There are some around the same price and I'm not worried about the schools. I do like the look of Providence and quick easy highway access. (Remember I was looking in S fulton originally for the convenience) You guys keep adding to my confusion!

Old 08-21-2007, 11:29 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,055,188 times
You can land a KILLER deal in Providence right now. I know for a fact that there is a single family selling for $319k (unless it sold already) and it even has a basement. There is also a non-basement priced at $339k. I do not know what could be wrong with them, b/c they are way lower than most everyone else there. Having lived in Providence, I would maybe have preferred the "buffer" that being in VE would provide (b/c it's so freaking massive) and I run a lot and HATED running on Veterans to get to other roads to run on, but I, too, liked the visual aesthetics of the Providence designs and also really liked the clubhouse/pool better. Also, you can't beat living across the street from Publix! Either way, I think you'll be okay, but remember just b/c YOU don't care about schools, doesn't mean others don't also - it could hurt you in resale years down the road, but hopefully they will be better by then. I honestly would not buy a resale in Providence over $400k - if someone tries to play hardball and say "new construction is $450k+!" just tell them to look at comparables. On the flip side, b/c VE has been in process for so long, even the resales start in the $420k's at the absolute lowest (last I checked).

Old 08-22-2007, 03:14 PM

11,333 posts, read 23,475,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
That part of town (Mableton) is growing like wildfire. You would be like a block or two from Whitefield Academy if you chose the private school path. There are homes being built accross the street from Whitefield off Buckner with a starting price at 1.2 million dollars. Further down Buckner there is a subdivision with home prices starting in the high 700s. More and more of the old homes in that area are being bought up and being torn down for multiple upscale homes. The other subdivisions along Buckner, Pebblebrook, Cooper Lake, and Veterans have homes priced from the mid 200s to the low 500s.
Heh. Check out the homes in the little Manor at Vinings development just off Nickajack. Very pretty stonework, IMO, and pushing into the seven digit range.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:48 PM

160 posts, read 554,508 times
Thanks Spacelord, I know exactly which one you're talking about. I think they're having some financial issues. They haven't paid their taxes and are selling for just what they paid +commission. The new sales center is aware of what's out there too, and have quite a bit of inventory...so I got the feeling they want to compete with the resales. Thanks so much for the advice. How long did it take you to sell? Hopefully the schools will get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta