U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 10:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,280 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I have just started a job in the Technology Park area of Norcross. Currently, I'm staying with a friend of mine in the Duluth area and I am really enjoying the area. I have heard conflicting views and opinions on the area, so I'm trying to figure out what to do.

I am a gay late 20s white guy with a partner. He does private consulting, so he can work from anywhere. We will be coming from the Charlotte area. We both come from normal upper middle class backgrounds and are looking for a similar place. We can afford up to around 250k, but if possible we would like to keep it less, especially if the house needs remodeling. We both would like to stay in Gwinnett for my commute, plus we enjoy the great small downtowns and ease of 85 to go home and see family.

What do you think the Duluth area between Norcross and Duluth is doing? I know the area around the mall has some hit or miss places, but I have found a great house to possibly purchase. It sits directly across the street from Berkeley Hills Country Club. Is the area in an upward or downward shift in terms of socioeconomic levels? I went to the Duluth Fall Festival this past weekend and I was blown away at how great the town and people were.

I'm so conflucted on what to do. Please help?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 11:19 PM

13,705 posts, read 20,394,452 times
I think Duluth is more desirable north/east of Pleasant Hill Road.

By the way, if you have nothing to do on a Friday or Saturday night, be sure to stop by Q-Zar in the Santa Fe Mall on Venture Drive. They have a "Moonlight Madness" special: $17 plus tax for four hours of unlimited Q-Zar (laser tag), 8PM to midnight. I know the owner of the place, and he's a cool dude. Even though I'm in Athens, I try to get there at least once or twice a month. It's fun!

Old 09-27-2011, 06:25 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,250,293 times
Don't limit yourself to Duluth. There are many houses for sale in Suwanee also in your range that do not need remodeling. Good luck!

Old 09-27-2011, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 4,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
Don't limit yourself to Duluth. There are many houses for sale in Suwanee also in your range that do not need remodeling. Good luck!
Thanks for the help, however, I looked at Suwanee. I wasn't really that enamored with it. I prefer an older home with a nice yard and tree coverage. From what I saw, I wasn't really afforded that in Suwanee.

I'm mainly just looking to see what people think the area between Duluth and Norcross will be in 5 or 10 years. I have talked to 4 or so of the neighbors located around the house, and they all seem to love it. However, they are all older, and won't be around forever...

Old 09-27-2011, 05:08 PM

36 posts, read 97,527 times
Have you taken a look around Norcross area more so than just where you are planning to work? Peachtree Corners is a nice area in Norcross, and you are not too far from Duluth (you can go down Buford Highway, I-85, or Peachtree Industrial to hit Pleasant Hill Road).

Roswell in Zipcode 30076 might also work for you, and you'll still have a reasonable commute in the mornings.

Duluth is a decent area, I recommend the same areas a previous poster mentioned, the north and east parts from Pleasant Hill Road. Generally these areas have the better homes and less crime in their areas.

How each will look in 5-10 years though, hmmmmm, that's tough to really think on since I have only lived in NE Atlanta for a year and a half, but Duluth would probably have the bigger potential at this time.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:19 PM

25 posts, read 65,710 times
I am not so sure about the area between Duluth and Norcross. I live in Duluth, but I live in the 30097 zip code, close to Suwanee and John's Creek. I would recommend this part of Duluth. There are quite a few subdivisions along Peachtree Ind Blvd that are very nice, relatively new, and in your price range. This zip is also very close to the downtown area of Duluth, which is really beginning to thrive.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:45 PM

13 posts, read 22,181 times
Norcross. West of Buford Hwy. Near the Forum.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:06 PM

9,008 posts, read 12,161,596 times
Second atlvagirl.

If you live in the city limits of Duluth, especially along PIB, you have incredible access. Access to Suwanee right up the road for their awesome town festivals, access to Mall of Georgia a bit north of that, access to the Chattahoochee river, access to Johns Creek to the West, access to downtown Duluth which is definitely getting cooler, access to Lifetime Fitness (either Johns Creek or Sugarloaf) for an awesome workout, and the list just goes on and on.

I say live within the city limits of Duluth because the city has a lot going for it. The leaders seem to do an excellent job bolstering the area parks (brand new dog park about to open at Rogers Bridge!) but most importantly, the Duluth police department is well known in the area for being excellent at fighting crime. Even if the rest of Gwinnett went down the crapper, I would still feel comfortable in the city of Duluth. It's just a neat little town. It's also really cool to have great access to all the wonderful things in Johns Creek without having to pay those Fulton county and Johns Creek taxes. Duluth seems to have a real spirit and the residents rally behind the town, so I don't think they are going to let it go downhill any time soon. You've already been downtown, so you know a bit about what I'm talking about. I also hate to say it, but you have to look at your neighbors. Being nestled between Sugarloaf Country Club, St. Ives Country Club, St. Marlo Country Club, and Atlanta Athletic Club, I don't exactly think the area is gonig to go ghetto very soon.

This isn't to say Norcross is bad. Norcross is fine, and it also has some really cool areas. It's had a bit of more tumultuous past and a bigger hill to climb, but the area is definitely making huge strides with its historic downtown and the Forum shops are very cool. It seems like the closer you are to Medlock Bridge, the better off you are. If you're in the incorporated city of Peachtree Corners, that's probably even better! Access to Suwanee and Lake Lanier is a little longer, but access to Atlanta is a little closer, which may be important as a gay couple. Sounds like you are partnered suburbanites, but you may find yourselves wanting to go have a drink at Blake's or get a book at Brushstrokes every once in a while. Of course, you may be surprised to see how many gay people you will find in the suburbs, especially in Alpharetta.

No matter what, I'd say it's going to be hard for you to lose. You can absolutely steal houses in the area right now, and it's not going to stay down forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta