Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 07:49 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,834 times

Advertisements

My thoughts based on time at the AUC:

Average school. Ranked highly on reputation of past graduates. It might have a 'stellar HBCU' reputation, but the resources are still very limited due to financial constraints and there are budgetary issues that I don't see being fixed anytime soon (get ready for more tuition hikes!). The area is situated among 4 of the most violent zip codes in the country (25 most dangerous neighborhoods 2010 - DailyFinance). I have been underwhelmed with the quality of students as a whole. There seems to be a portion, about 1/3 to 1/2 that embody the 'Morehouse Man' image. They are the type of students that gave the school its reputation in the community. They are the ones dressed up nicely and go to class prepared. They, from my experience, go on to do great things. However, there is a substantial population of lazy, morally questionable kids. I think this is what happens when the acceptance rate hovers around 70% and 25+% of the school has sub 950 SAT scores. There are bad apples everywhere, but I suspect Georgetown has a much better academic environment. There are many examples of students who go on to do great things, but personally I would be worried about the direction of the school and would be hesitant to spend the $30,000 per year ($20,000 tuition + $10,000 room and board) for this education. If for a similar price, you could attend Georgetown, it would be a no-brainer IMO. Personally, there are some great in-state schools out there that would cost 1/3 of Morehouse or Georgetown that provide equal to greater educations with access to even greater educational resources. If being surrounded by a 99% black environment is vital, then I guess Morehouse is a good choice, but I have never understood how this prepares the graduates for life after college. Based on your son's test scores, I think there are much better educational opportunities available than Morehouse and there should be multiple minority scholarships available as well.

Just being honest with my assessment.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:27 AM

257 posts, read 470,077 times
Your son has great options. Morehouse is a solid school, but I'm not sure the black cultural experience is enough to trump the superior quality of Georgetown, especially if he gets a scholarship there. In terms of prestige (as a whole, not just within the black community) and educational quality, Georgetown wins by a mile.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:57 AM

54 posts, read 182,773 times
thanks for all your assessments. They are very very greatly appreciated.

He and I wants him to go to Morehouse, but before I spend any money on a Morehouse's education.
I want to know will he have a guaranteed high paying job. Does the school has good connections and networks well. Does the school has a good reputation around the Atlanta area. {another part of his decision he loves Atlanta}.

The costs of both schools is not a factor at all. I just want the education to be at that value.

Also I heard that ivy league schools loves a morehouse man. How true is this? Because graduate school is in the future ass well (He wants to be a lawyer and has been interning at my cousin law firm in Dallas).

Im sorry for all the questions. I just want to stir my son in the right direction for his future and educational choices.

He also loves Georgetown (not so much Washington Dc) and the funny thing, we were looking at Howard University as well. And they are ranked higher on Newsweek.

Other than crime anything else negative about the school.

So far reviews has been good. and thank you so much again

Old 09-30-2011, 01:02 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Crime really at Morehouse is not a big deal. The school is gated off from the surrounding communities and really even the surrounding communities aren't all that bad crime wise IMO. But of course that is all relative as I am not a person who believes an area is horrible based on crime. I actually live a couple miles from the AUC and my neighborhood is touted as being very crime ridden, yet I have lived here for 5 years and have never had any trouble with anyone and have never been the victim of any crime since I came here to go to CAU in 1997.

I will say though that Morehouse does have a good reputation I know here in Atlanta specifically. I know plenty of people who look to hire Morehouse graduates. Our HR head will also hire someone who went to Morehouse over someone with a similar background because he went to Morehouse.

I don't know that he will be able to guarantee a high paying job no matter what college he goes to. The job market is fierce and there are never any guarantees IMO. A friend of mine went to Morehouse and was laid off from an IT job and took over a year to get another but that is what the economy here is today. Hopefully things will improve in the next few years regarding the economy and unemployment.

I don't know if I can think of anything negative about Morehouse, they have achievers and they have slackers like all colleges.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:02 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
My thoughts based on time at the AUC:

Average school. Ranked highly on reputation of past graduates. It might have a 'stellar HBCU' reputation, but the resources are still very limited due to financial constraints and there are budgetary issues that I don't see being fixed anytime soon (get ready for more tuition hikes!). The area is situated among 4 of the most violent zip codes in the country (25 most dangerous neighborhoods 2010 - DailyFinance). I have been underwhelmed with the quality of students as a whole. There seems to be a portion, about 1/3 to 1/2 that embody the 'Morehouse Man' image. They are the type of students that gave the school its reputation in the community. They are the ones dressed up nicely and go to class prepared. They, from my experience, go on to do great things. However, there is a substantial population of lazy, morally questionable kids. I think this is what happens when the acceptance rate hovers around 70% and 25+% of the school has sub 950 SAT scores. There are bad apples everywhere, but I suspect Georgetown has a much better academic environment. There are many examples of students who go on to do great things, but personally I would be worried about the direction of the school and would be hesitant to spend the $30,000 per year ($20,000 tuition + $10,000 room and board) for this education. If for a similar price, you could attend Georgetown, it would be a no-brainer IMO. Personally, there are some great in-state schools out there that would cost 1/3 of Morehouse or Georgetown that provide equal to greater educations with access to even greater educational resources. If being surrounded by a 99% black environment is vital, then I guess Morehouse is a good choice, but I have never understood how this prepares the graduates for life after college. Based on your son's test scores, I think there are much better educational opportunities available than Morehouse and there should be multiple minority scholarships available as well.

Just being honest with my assessment.

Not surprised by THIS response. BTW, I lived in DC for 4 years... have you ever actually spent any amount of time in the area around Georgetown? Would the fact that they just had a meth lab bust INSIDE of a campus dorm make the school any less desirable? Just askin...as far as better opportunities, im sure many Ivy Leaguers felt the same way about GT but i'm sure that wouldnt have stopped you from attending. And I can remember a time when GT had Techwood Homes right on the back side, should that have stopped anyone from attending there? Just askin...as far as the black environment.

You know, the fact that a lot of these "white" schools actually required the national guard just to get our elders through the front doors still means something to a lot of people. This is one of the reason I will NEVER understand the desire for anyone black to attend an Ole Miss or an Alabama when many of them don't even respect us enough not to have confederate flags and klan meetings ON the campuses. Many PREFER their kids attend their alma maters the same as YOU would. The same way you dont understand it, I dont understand why many whites think that we should just drop our ways of life to run to a PWC just because we can now. Having gone to both, the PWC isnt necessarily the better opportunity just based on statistics. Especially if you look at the success rate of black engineers in contrast of HBCU and PWC. But i'm sure you already knew that right?

Old 09-30-2011, 02:22 PM

257 posts, read 470,077 times
Law schools do not care about undergraduate institution for the most part (with the exception of a potential slight boost for students who get undergraduate degrees from the very top ivies). They will not look at your son differently based on whether he attends Georgetown or Morehouse.

Point your son in the direction of this website: Top Law Schools

Pretty much anything he could possibly want to know about law school can be found on the website.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp01358 View Post
Law schools do not care about undergraduate institution for the most part (with the exception of a potential slight boost for students who get undergraduate degrees from the very top ivies). They will not look at your son differently based on whether he attends Georgetown or Morehouse.

Point your son in the direction of this website: Top Law Schools

Pretty much anything he could possibly want to know about law school can be found on the website.
thank you for that information. Georgetown was a option for law school as well, but not a definite option.

Im pretty sure he would want to experience another college.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Not surprised by THIS response. BTW, I lived in DC for 4 years... have you ever actually spent any amount of time in the area around Georgetown? Would the fact that they just had a meth lab bust INSIDE of a campus dorm make the school any less desirable? Just askin...as far as better opportunities, im sure many Ivy Leaguers felt the same way about GT but i'm sure that wouldnt have stopped you from attending. And I can remember a time when GT had Techwood Homes right on the back side, should that have stopped anyone from attending there? Just askin...as far as the black environment.

You know, the fact that a lot of these "white" schools actually required the national guard just to get our elders through the front doors still means something to a lot of people. This is one of the reason I will NEVER understand the desire for anyone black to attend an Ole Miss or an Alabama when many of them don't even respect us enough not to have confederate flags and klan meetings ON the campuses. Many PREFER their kids attend their alma maters the same as YOU would. The same way you dont understand it, I dont understand why many whites think that we should just drop our ways of life to run to a PWC just because we can now. Having gone to both, the PWC isnt necessarily the better opportunity just based on statistics. Especially if you look at the success rate of black engineers in contrast of HBCU and PWC. But i'm sure you already knew that right?
O wow!! they busted a meth lab in the dorm???

Old 09-30-2011, 03:55 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post

Not sure why you are getting all angry. The lady asked for a review of the school and as someone who has worked with the school extensively, I gave my honest critique. What was incorrect with my assessment? I'm sorry if I offended you but your rebuttal is off base.

I would like my children to have the best opportunities available to them. If that happens to be my alma mater, so be it, but if a better oppurtunity comes along, I'm not going to push them to follow in my footsteps. That would be irresponsible parenting.

Who is talking about Bama or Ole Miss?

Georgetown is far and away a better school. Lets compare hard numbers on the caliber of students attending each institution:

Georgetown:
SAT 25/75 range (Math & Verbal): 1250/1450
USN&WR Ranking: NATIONAL University #22
Acceptance Rate: 19%
* Also, Georgetown's student body very closely resembles the nation as a whole with regards to ethnic make up. I consider this a plus.

Morehouse
Avg SAT: 1045
USN&WR Ranking: National Liberal Arts College #127
Acceptance Rate: 70+%

To clarify my previous post, here are my points again:

• Average school. Based on the students I previously taught at Morehouse, the continued mediocre incoming grades/scores, and high acceptance rate, it is not an elite institution.
  • Crime. It is what it is. I can't speak to Georgetown, but the stats do say something about the location. This would be a problem for me as a student. Want to go to a grocery store? Get in the car and drive a ways because there isn't a Publix or Kroger in the area since they left that area 2 years ago. Why did they leave? Crime and poverty in the area. I guess you can get all of your shopping done at the local corner 7-11. This is just one example of how this crime in the area makes life more difficult and less desirable. The campus might be reasonably secure and the campus police are active, but take a step off campus and you are no longer safe. This would certainly factor into my decision of where to go to school.
  • Budget problems. I know most schools are trimming the fat right now, but Morehouse has some legit budget issues. Ever sat in on an admission meeting at Morehouse? Talk about a desperate group. Yikes.
  • Access to resources. Small campus. Not very good facilities. Sure the Ray Charles Center is swell, but the rest of the campus would not pass for a good high school in most areas.
  • Expensive. You could go to Morehouse for $36,856 a year or you could go to a larger in-state school like Kennesaw State, a school with similar, if not more difficult, entrance requirements for 1/3 of that (not including Hope which would trim it to about 1/6 of the cost of Morehouse).
I'm just providing a counter point based on previous experience on the Morehouse Campus. If you don't like that, oh well. Someone should provide a balanced perspective and I'd do the same about my alma mater if anyone asked for a balanced critique.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Not sure why you are getting all angry. The lady asked for a review of the school and as someone who has worked with the school extensively, I gave my honest critique. What was incorrect with my assessment? I'm sorry if I offended you but your rebuttal is off base.

I would like my children to have the best opportunities available to them. If that happens to be my alma mater, so be it, but if a better oppurtunity comes along, I'm not going to push them to follow in my footsteps. That would be irresponsible parenting.

Who is talking about Bama or Ole Miss?

Georgetown is far and away a better school. Lets compare hard numbers on the caliber of students attending each institution:

Georgetown:
SAT 25/75 range (Math & Verbal): 1250/1450
USN&WR Ranking: NATIONAL University #22
Acceptance Rate: 19%
* Also, Georgetown's student body very closely resembles the nation as a whole with regards to ethnic make up. I consider this a plus.

Morehouse
Avg SAT: 1045
USN&WR Ranking: National Liberal Arts College #127
Acceptance Rate: 70+%

To clarify my previous post, here are my points again:

• Average school. Based on the students I previously taught at Morehouse, the continued mediocre incoming grades/scores, and high acceptance rate, it is not an elite institution.
  • Budget problems. I know most schools are trimming the fat right now, but Morehouse has some legit budget issues. Ever sat in on an admission meeting at Morehouse? Talk about a desperate group. Yikes.
  • Access to resources. Small campus. Not very good facilities. Sure the Ray Charles Center is swell, but the rest of the campus would not pass for a good high school in most areas.
  • Expensive. You could go to Morehouse for $36,856 a year or you could go to a larger in-state school like Kennesaw State, a school with similar, if not more difficult, entrance requirements for 1/3 of that (not including Hope which would trim it to about 1/6 of the cost of Morehouse).
I'm just providing a counter point based on previous experience on the Morehouse Campus. If you don't like that, oh well. Someone should provide a balanced perspective and I'd do the same about my alma mater if anyone asked for a balanced critique.

So basically Morehouse is not a good school compared to any other public state school.

So the cost is not worth in your opinion?
Admissions are trying to let anybody in because they are desperate?
So the only definite thing to get out of Morehouse is the black experience?
They have budget issues? for what? and why? with the cost of attendance?
It is not a elite school for
Your opinion is very much needed.

Oh Wow didn't know this.

In my opinion I don't think Morehouse College cannot be compared Georgetown University simply because Morehouse is a private small institution as Georgetown is a big private UNIVERSITY.

But it should be more higher on the liberal art college rank though. much much higher if its the elite college for african american men
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta