Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2011, 09:12 AM

538 posts, read 923,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Could just as easily have been a Harvard man.
I doubt there's many Harvard guys selling used cars.....there's a bit of a difference between the average SAT score for incoming Harvard students and those at Morehouse. In fact, the incoming SAT scores for Morehouse are really pretty pedestrian when viewed in the context of other schools.....just sayin'

Old 10-26-2011, 09:30 AM

31,995 posts, read 36,572,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Do you have stats to back that up? Or just angry liberalism....
I'm neither angry nor particularly liberal. How do you read that into facts about the employment situation?

While I don't have time to look up statistics right now, it's well known that a Harvard degree is no longer an automatic ticket to the big time. Or even a job at all. Just Google up "unemployed Harvard grad" and you'll see reports from the WSJ and from the Crimson itself.

Times are tough.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:01 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,872,386 times
northwinds is just stirring the pot, arjay. He loses no opportunity to insinuate (or more) that black people are inferior to white people in one way or another. I don't see any particular reason to believe his assertion about the used car salesman. (For one thing, is it plausible that northwinds would have elected to deal with a black salesperson? Well maybe, he might have thought he was smarter.) Anyway, he likely just picked an occupation that has fairly negative connotations but is on the edge of plausibility. If he thought we'd have bought a claim that his trash collector is a Morehouse man, he'd probably have claimed that.

This post probably squarely violates the rules against commenting on other posters, but what the heck. Sometimes other posters and their race-baiting ways are just too exasperating.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:05 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,354,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Yet they still account for a huge percentage of all black doctors, lawyers and outright professionals. I'm sure they're doing just fine without you attending. To the OP I didn't want to put it out there but I will, asking this question to non black people will get you this result. White is right and black is inferior by default. Nevermind all of the successful people that graduated from these Universities.
Snarky and defensive good thing I know enough Morehouse Men to know you are not representative of them or HBCU grads in general.

If you read my posts instead of selectively choosing the parts to respond to I merely say academically HBCUs are weak but if one is concerned about job prospects going to one is not a detriment. I went to one for undergrad and am doing quite well.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:29 PM

51 posts, read 98,242 times
Default Data Point

My experience:

Myself, Howard Undergrad, U of Michigan Grad, Wharton Grad
Business Partner, Morehouse Undergrad, Harvard Law Grad
My Wife, Howard Undergrad, GW Med School Grad
College Roommate, Howard Undergrad, Wharton Grad

I know plenty that have similar backgrounds. Take from it what you may. I'm a Christian now so it's all vanity in the end.

Be Blessed.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:24 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,734,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
The used car salesman for the last car I bought was a "Morehouse Man"....
What was his name?Where?I need a another car.It must be a good car.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:49 PM

We have a friend who got laid off after 22 years with a major local company. He was fairly high up in management, but couldn't find a comparable job at his age. So he started selling cars and has done okay. You do what you have to do and I admire him for doing it.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:12 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,734,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
We have a friend who got laid off after 22 years with a major local company. He was fairly high up in management, but couldn't find a comparable job at his age. So he started selling cars and has done okay. You do what you have to do and I admire him for doing it.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:01 PM

Here's an interesting article on Morehouse man Herman Cain. Some think he's a classic example, while others say not.

Quote:
Morehouse man Cain divides alums, students *| ajc.com

In debates Cain has behaved in a manner true to the Morehouse man's reputation, quickly rebutting challenges accusing his rivals of being flat wrong and exerting a plain-spoken and commanding style that is winning him fans nationwide.

But historically black and all-male Morehouse, while proud of Cain's accomplishments, is also divided about his presidential bid.

Some students, alumni and faculty of the private Atlanta college say Cain’s conservative views do not mesh with the values taught at Morehouse. Others say Cain epitomizes Morehouse.

“The politics that he has embraced does not represent the likes of Mordecai Wyatt Johnson, Benjamin Mays, Martin Luther King Jr., Maynard Jackson and Howard Thurman,” said 1964 graduate Amos Brown, comparing Cain to some of Morehouse's most accomplished alums. “We acknowledge what he has done as a business person, but we don’t take pride in [Cain's candidacy], we don’t crow in it. We came up with certain traditions. Herman Cain did not.”

But Marcellus Barksdale, chairman of Morehouse’s African-American Studies Department, argues that Cain is exactly what a Morehouse Man should represent.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:13 PM

538 posts, read 923,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
northwinds is just stirring the pot, arjay. He loses no opportunity to insinuate (or more) that black people are inferior to white people in one way or another. I don't see any particular reason to believe his assertion about the used car salesman. (For one thing, is it plausible that northwinds would have elected to deal with a black salesperson? Well maybe, he might have thought he was smarter.) Anyway, he likely just picked an occupation that has fairly negative connotations but is on the edge of plausibility. If he thought we'd have bought a claim that his trash collector is a Morehouse man, he'd probably have claimed that.

This post probably squarely violates the rules against commenting on other posters, but what the heck. Sometimes other posters and their race-baiting ways are just too exasperating.
RainyDay: Don't be so tiresome....I was merely sharing a very real story about the last used car I bought.....bearing in mind it was a damn nice used car...2 years old and $36,000 as I recall...but we did get 2% financing which was sweet. How is that "insinuating (or more) that black people are inferior to white people". Lots of car salesmen make very good money. Why would you not believe that I would have "elected to deal with a black salesperson".....I did have the thought at first that black people openly support black businesses and black sales folks and everybody seems to think that is soooo great.....so maybe I should have a white saleperson to make the liberal do-gooders feel better. But the guy seemed nice enough and knowledgeable enough....so I gave him my hard earned money. And your post does squarely violate the rules against commenting on other posters....but have no fear, even if I reported you to the mods they would probably ban me since your "ideology" is more akin to theirs....cheers....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta