Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2012, 09:44 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,349,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Actually it is "transformative" at Morehouse.In a way YOU as a white male may never understand.Thats not an insult and not meant to be negative.Just means that unless you can walk a mile in a persons shoes,you just don't really know.
The very fact that you said this means you don't know.
The Morehouse Man:
I did not go to Morehouse but was accepted.I did not feel I needed what they offered.Morehouse does more than teach,it does transform boys into men.Men that since day one have been told that they owe a debt to their people to do the best they can by leading by example.They learn without knowledge and hardwork you must be also be respectable and accountable for your actions.They become "complete" men.
Sometimes its not what you know but how you say it makes people want to follow your every word.Morehouse excels in this better than any other school on the planet
Perhaps they have a continuing education program that will teach the art of inserting proper spacing following sentences.

How much time did you spend on campus? Having spent a lot of time there, I can't tell you how much respect I lost for the school that I once had respect for. I kept hearing about how great of a school it was, and then I worked here. The facilities are third rate. The student quality is hit-or-miss. Some do buy into the "Morehouse Man" mantra, but that is a minority these days. The administration is second rate and made up of a group of "we've always done it that way" thinkers rather than innovators. They continuously pat the kids on the back from they day they get on campus telling them how great they are for choosing Morehouse and it creates an incredible undeserved sense of accomplishment. They subject the students to racist guest speaker after racist guest speaker. In my last year on campus, I heard at least five guest speakers discuss how Obama was going to fix everything and that the Republicans don't support him only because he is black. After the last speaker, I decided I couldn't continue to work in a that racist environment that preached misinformation and divisiveness.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:15 AM

714 posts, read 813,566 times
Quote:
Actually it is "transformative" at Morehouse.In a way YOU as a white male may never understand.Thats not an insult and not meant to be negative.Just means that unless you can walk a mile in a persons shoes,you just don't really know.
The very fact that you said this means you don't know.
The Morehouse Man:
I did not go to Morehouse but was accepted.I did not feel I needed what they offered.Morehouse does more than teach,it does transform boys into men.Men that since day one have been told that they owe a debt to their people to do the best they can by leading by example.They learn without knowledge and hardwork you must be also be respectable and accountable for your actions.They become "complete" men.
Sometimes its not what you know but how you say it makes people want to follow your every word.Morehouse excels in this better than any other school on the planet
College is transformative, period. That's not something unique to Morehouse. Mine had an honor code, tough courses requiring great self discipline, student lead organizations that we're deeply involved in the community, international programs, a multitude of traditions, etc.

Morehouse does a better job of turning boys into men than WestPoint? All Other schools turn out less "complete" men than Morehouse? You don't have specific methods, programs or measurable facts or proofs. it's just more fantasy posturing by those same types who insisted the emperor was wearing clothes...

Old 02-04-2012, 07:31 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,846,478 times
tiger84,

You sound a lot like another guy that used to frequent these types of discussions on C-D. Are you the reincarnation of Bullbear?

Old 02-04-2012, 09:00 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,349,984 times
nm

Old 02-04-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
tiger84,

You sound a lot like another guy that used to frequent these types of discussions on C-D. Are you the reincarnation of Bullbear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
nm
I dont believe in reincarnation.

nm?

Old 02-04-2012, 09:12 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,686,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Morehouse certainly has its supporters and by most accounts, it is a fine school. But it doesn't compare to schools like Georgetown. If you can get your son into Georgetown, this is a far better option IMO. It is higher ranked and far more reputable nationally. I also feel that Washington, DC is an incredible place to live and grow, and would provide your son with a far broader exposure, while enabling him to experience some black culture. From what you said here about is upbringing in school thus far, this would appear to be a smoother transition for him.

Ultimately though, it should be up to your son to determine where he wants to go based on his impressions when he visits these places or from the information he has internalized about them. Where does he want to go?

I stopped reading comments after this because i agree 100%!!!!!!! Plus Georgetown is in DC. DC should be black enough for him.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:49 AM

27 posts, read 38,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Let me explain the math...
I certainly understand your math. But I will leave you with this: Brandeis and Yeshiva Universities draw predominately from 2% of the population. Do you feel the same way about Brandeis's appearance on this list? And would you feel the same way about Yeshiva's? Only you know the answer to those questions. But if the answer is no, one has to ask why.

Your insistence on focusing on race, frankly, makes little sense. To the extent graduate admissions officers consider diversity in admissions, this does not explain Morehouse's success. As you know-- from the plain terms of your own messages-- African-Americans attend many institutions. Graduate admissions officers could undoubtedly achieve racial diversity without selecting any Morehouse students. Further, no other HBCU's are on the list, making your love of the race-card all the more specious on its face frankly.

At least gt has some experience with this institution. And I'll readily admit that for a number of reasons, the Morehouse graduates I encounter are likely among the best. There is probably a large lacuna between those at the top quartile and the bottom quartile. But the resources they invest in their best are vast. The school has had two Rhodes scholars in the last four years. At some point, dismissing these young men's accomplishments because of the amount pigment in their skin (and the pigment of those they went to school with) lacks credibility.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:21 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Quote:
Morehouse does more than teach,it does transform boys into men.Men that since day one have been told that they owe a debt to their people to do the best they can by leading by example.They learn without knowledge and hardwork you must be also be respectable and accountable for your actions.They become "complete" men.
That's what I'd always heard. Morehouse isn't trying it compete on the basis of the SATs and GPAs of its students are but on the overall cultural experience. Places like Yale, Stanford, MIT and even Georgia Tech are full of people with great test scores but that doesn't mean they are going to amount to a hill of beans. It's the overall Morehouse man experience that makes their graduates so highly sought after.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junimar View Post
I certainly understand your math. But I will leave you with this: Brandeis and Yeshiva Universities draw predominately from 2% of the population. Do you feel the same way about Brandeis's appearance on this list? And would you feel the same way about Yeshiva's? Only you know the answer to those questions. But if the answer is no, one has to ask why.

Your insistence on focusing on race, frankly, makes little sense. To the extent graduate admissions officers consider diversity in admissions, this does not explain Morehouse's success. As you know-- from the plain terms of your own messages-- African-Americans attend many institutions. Graduate admissions officers could undoubtedly achieve racial diversity without selecting any Morehouse students. Further, no other HBCU's are on the list, making your love of the race-card all the more specious on its face frankly.

At least gt has some experience with this institution. And I'll readily admit that for a number of reasons, the Morehouse graduates I encounter are likely among the best. There is probably a large lacuna between those at the top quartile and the bottom quartile. But the resources they invest in their best are vast. The school has had two Rhodes scholars in the last four years. At some point, dismissing these young men's accomplishments because of the amount pigment in their skin (and the pigment of those they went to school with) lacks credibility.
Do you mean the Jewish 2%? Brandeis is about 50% jewish, so you are wrong about it. The jewish people have a long history of accomplishment and success. Israel is a modern and well functioning nation state. There is nothing near its equal among black nations.

So let me get this straight. When blacks (at Morehouse, wherever) achieve its because race doesnt matter, and/or they overcame racial prejudice. BUT, when blacks do not achieve, or fail, such as in crime statistics, or incarceration rates, its ALL because of race, or racism. My, how convenient. Blacks either take 100% responsibility for success, or 0% for failure. Quite the set up.

Another example: When blacks voted 95% plus for Obama, that was just them voting for the best candidate. But the 55% of whites who voted for McCain - pure racism.

Meanwhile, of course, as is well known, white success has been achieved on the backs of others, and thru the "good ole boy network. Their so called success is overrated and often undeserved due to racial preference. When whites underachieve, however, its indicative of their true nature, and what happens when race is not considered.

Does that about wrap it up? Blacks achievement comes from their own hard work in the face of racist attitudes. Black failure is due the color of their skin, and white racist attitudes. Meanwhile, whites havent and dont deserve the success they achieve, because society makes it so easy for them. Whites only show their true nature when they fail and their very "whiteness" cant bail them out.

Got it! What a swell deal for you guys.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:46 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,096,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Let me explain the math. The black population is 13% of the US. Given half are women, that leaves about 7% of the eligible US from which Morehouse draws. Thus, in fact Morehouse, by default excludes over 90% of possible students. The number of whites that consider Morehouse is deminimus, and irrelevant, statistically.

So, my statement was far from silly, and utterly factual. Simple math.
Actually it's irrelevant and cherry picking is consider a fallacy in debates. How the hell can you worry about who is "excluded" when you don't even care about who even applies. Some one can't be excluded unless they apply to be excluded. 13% of the country is black, but that has nothing to do with who applying to these school to get there demographics. Again "Most schools "HCBUs" are majority black because blacks are the largest background trying to get in." There's nothing stopping some one white if they want to go to HCBUs. White have a lower applying rate at these schools. Whites and etc are not being excluded.

SOME ONE BLACK CAN NOT GET INTO HBCUs Though Affirmative Actions. Affirmative Action is a racial quotas set for diversity, It help the minority population, but if the minority population is the majority it doesn't nothing, In fact it can reverse. If a school is public funded it's face with Affirmative Action. That includes HBCUs, Since blacks are the majority in most of them and the largest racial group trying to get in them, who you think it benefits? Whites have a low applying rate to HBCUs, Some HBCUs have to look for whites and etc students,

The White Man's Guide to Getting a Minority Scholarship

Can a white person receive a minority scholarship for a HBCU? - Yahoo! Answers

Also Affirmative Action cause. HBCUs to be in competition with non HBCUs for black students. So again "the hold ideal that "HBCUs automatically exclude nearly 90% of eligible students" is silly with in itself. Affirmative Action doesn't even help Black Students get into HBCUs."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta