Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 04:17 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,749,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Clayton really does have a lot going for it.

What would you say are the best parts of the county?
Do you mean the best areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 04:19 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,242,434 times
I know you weren't asking me, but Lake Spivey is obviously the nicest. There are nice neighborhoods off Noah's Ark Rd, River's Edge is pretty good (basically because it is right at Fayette County), the neighborhoods along 314 just north of the Fayette County line don't look too bad, and the panhandle at the very southern end of the county is great.

Problem is, do you need to use the public schools? If so, not sure if there is any good place to live in Clayton. There is that Utopia charter school, which despite its ridiculous name, sounds like a pretty good place.

It's a shame that Clayton isn't a nicer place. Its location is steller for commuters. Problem is that county officials damned large portions of the county to deteriorate by allowing terribly cheap housing and apartment complexes. Unless those are torn down, I can't see many areas ever improving.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:19 PM

250 posts, read 328,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Clayton really does have a lot going for it.

What would you say are the best parts of the county?
I would say the Hampton and Lovejoy area.I like some parts of Morrow too.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post

Problem is, do you need to use the public schools? If so, not sure if there is any good place to live in Clayton. There is that Utopia charter school, which despite its ridiculous name, sounds like a pretty good place.

It's a shame that Clayton isn't a nicer place. Its location is steller for commuters. Problem is that county officials damned large portions of the county to deteriorate by allowing terribly cheap housing and apartment complexes. Unless those are torn down, I can't see many areas ever improving.
I agree with this statement. The thing is when most of these were built, it didn't lower the neighborhood quality. Now they are old and need replacement. With your schools comment there is Elite Scholars High(charter), and Martha Ellen School of the Arts(magnet) which are two of the best in Georgia. Also there are good honors/AP programs at Forest Park, Morrow, Mt. Zion, Jonesboro, Drew, and Lovejoy High Schools.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:40 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,363,625 times
I really love my home county, and it does have areas that need work (19/41 corridor), but some here say more bad than good,I say more good than bad. Most outsiders that I have met say, "Wow! This place is really great; not at all what I have heard about Clayton County." I say come down and give us a try. Get off the beaten path (especially the Tara Boulevard/ 19/41 corridor) and drive through the neighborhoods. Eat at Anne and Bill's in downtown Forest Park (good southern cooking), Walk the Morrow Trail system or Jester's Creek Trail, check out the clearance racks at Macy's, Southlake Mall, get fresh seasonable vegetables at the State Farmer's Market in Forest Park, have a conversation with a Clayton neighbor at Clayton County International Park. You will probably will wind up saying, "Hey! This place is not half bad; in fact I like this place!"

Old 02-11-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
I really love my home county, and it does have areas that need work (19/41 corridor), but some here say more bad than good,I say more good than bad. Most outsiders that I have met say, "Wow! This place is really great; not at all what I have heard about Clayton County." I say come down and give us a try. Get off the beaten path (especially the Tara Boulevard/ 19/41 corridor) and drive through the neighborhoods. Eat at Anne and Bill's in downtown Forest Park (good southern cooking), Walk the Morrow Trail system or Jester's Creek Trail, check out the clearance racks at Macy's, Southlake Mall, get fresh seasonable vegetables at the State Farmer's Market in Forest Park, have a conversation with a Clayton neighbor at Clayton County International Park. You will probably will wind up saying, "Hey! This place is not half bad; in fact I like this place!"
Someone up this guys reputation.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:08 PM

39 posts, read 54,843 times
How long until the schools lose their accreditation again?

Old 02-11-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregsDaddy View Post
How long until the schools lose their accreditation again?
In Dekalb? Maybe a year, year and a half.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:55 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,363,625 times
Greg's Daddy,
Hey! I am Eva Rose's, Will's, and Harrison's Daddy. Father to father, is everything quite alright. Some times I get pessimistic vibes from you. Last week you were West End bashing; this week Clayton County Schools, which most here feel are definitely on the upswing with the new school board in place. (If you recall it was the school board, not the quality of education in Clayton County that caused those issues several years ago) I know what can cheer you up. Come down to Reynolds Nature Preserve here in Morrow/ Clayton County with Greg. Walk the pristine nature trails along the lakes, ponds, and woodlands connecting with nature, your maker, and of course your son. After this relaxing and invigorating Clayton County experience, take a deep breath and realize that negativity breeds more negativity, or at least what your mother taught you, "If you can't say (type) something nice, say (type) nothing at all. God Bless you Brother and have a more upbeat today! ;0)

Old 02-12-2015, 07:32 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,702,009 times
Well said there again Clayton.
Honestly, if GregsDaddy has insight to somethig going on that's new & a current threat to the school accreditation in Clayton let him share it here.
If he doesn't have anything new & TRUE to share, then the negativity in that post is just that & should be ignored.
So, which is it Gregs?

Overall, for quite a few years it seems that it has been "politically correct" to bash Clayton County for anything & everything amongst certain types of mindsets.
I have lived in Clayton County east of Jonesboro since mid 2010 & would not have moved there in the first place or remained there if it truly were the pits.
Yes, it has problems but what area of our metro area & state doesn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta