Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:22 AM

37 posts, read 96,543 times

Advertisements

Is that a good school for your child to attend, and what about houses, apartments in that area? All comments will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 08:57 AM

16,643 posts, read 29,333,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saldridge View Post
Is that a good school for your child to attend, and what about houses, apartments in that area? All comments will be greatly appreciated.

Check out this link:

//www.city-data.com/forum/19574712-post5.html

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Old 10-05-2011, 09:04 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,387,098 times
I can pretty much tell you how this is going to go. Expect many to say its not a good school, it's a dangerous area and you should move to east Cobb instead.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

Old 10-05-2011, 10:18 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,800,905 times
Also it depends on what your expectations are regarding schools. If you are looking for an elite prep school, MHS might not be your first choice. Or, if you are coming from an inner city school in, say, the Bronx, it might be a very good school compared to what you are used to.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:30 AM

We currently live in Key West, FL so I want a school not to elite but not ghetto either if that makes since. The school here is equally mixed with all races.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:54 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,800,905 times
You can do your online research, get some opinions here, ask anyone you know who lives in the area and then then go to the individual school websites. After spending hours online, narrow it down and then arrange for a visit to tour the schools. Being in the school (and just checking out the cars in the parking lot) is the best way to determine if a school is for you. There really isn't a "best school," but what is best for your child and feeling comfortable as a family. I have seen a lot of people who move to the cheapest house in an affluent area for super schools and then never fit in. Makes for a miserable time for all.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:57 AM

16,643 posts, read 29,333,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saldridge View Post
We currently live in Key West, FL so I want a school not to elite but not ghetto either if that makes since. The school here is equally mixed with all races.
...Marietta [High School] serves a diverse socioeconomic population consisting of upper, upper-middle, middle, lower-middle, and working class families--with a fair distribution of White, Black, and Hispanic/Latino students. An ideal environment to raise a family in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

Old 10-05-2011, 12:38 PM

Roxyrn,
your so right about visiting the school, my husband and I were recently there. We visited Pope High School and the feeling I got would probably be the same feeling my son will get if we were to send him there. We can cancel Pope High School.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:08 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,871,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
You can do your online research, get some opinions here, ask anyone you know who lives in the area and then then go to the individual school websites. After spending hours online, narrow it down and then arrange for a visit to tour the schools. Being in the school (and just checking out the cars in the parking lot) is the best way to determine if a school is for you. There really isn't a "best school," but what is best for your child and feeling comfortable as a family. I have seen a lot of people who move to the cheapest house in an affluent area for super schools and then never fit in. Makes for a miserable time for all.
The bolded part is such an interesting comment, as I'd never thought about this possibility. We live in about the cheapest housing in our high school district, and the average household income of my daughter's classmates is probably well above ours. However, we are not intimidated by wealth or the lifestyles and possessions it is used to buy. Having a lot of British upper class and aristocrats in recent generations of ancestry, we think focusing on money is crass, and we consider some of our child's wealthier friends uncultured. (They have flashy possessions and have been on plenty of cruises and Disney vacations, but never to a symphony concert, opera or ballet.) We like to think of ourselves as comfortable interacting with all kinds of people. So the family culture and attitudes have a lot to do with the comfort level.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:04 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,093,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
...Marietta [High School] serves a diverse socioeconomic population consisting of upper, upper-middle, middle, lower-middle, and working class families--with a fair distribution of White, Black, and Hispanic/Latino students. An ideal environment to raise a family in my opinion.
From Wikipedia:

42% black, 39% white, 12% hispanic and 7% of another ethnicity

schooldigger.com ranks Marietta High at #76 among Georgia schools, but a lot of Cobb schools are ranked higher. Pope and Allatoona are ranked #5, Kennesaw Mountain, Walton, and Lassiter are ranked #8.

Joseph Wheeler is supposed to be their Math, Science, and Technology school and it's ranked #59.

Are you looking for a science oriented education, artsy,...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta