Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 09:37 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
Walked past Occupy Atlanta yesterday morning on my way to jury duty at 8:00 am- quiet as could be as they were all in their tents sleeping. Guess they don't have to worry about getting up for work or anything else constructive. While they are down there, why don't they spend some time picking up the trash?

I walked through there yesterday at lunch time. I didn't see a single piece of trash.

Protesting IS constructive, whether you agree with their views or not. A lot of people died to give us freedoms which include the right to protest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 10:46 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
It's not about what one can achieve. Racial profiling is just one example of a civil rights issue that must still be addressed.
First you'd have to agree that such a thing exists or can ever be completely removed.

Look, people get "profiled" all day long, every day. That was and has always been the case. People with long hair; people with tattoos; people with handicaps; people who dress differently; etc. You will NEVER change everyone's opinions or beliefs, and that's not a realistic expectation. Today, it is illegal to use race, sex, religion, age, sexual orientation, and other attribute in areas such as employment and lending. Does that mean that every individual always follows the law...of course not, but it's not official and it happens with regard to age, sex, religion, and even blacks discriminating against whites or hispanics.

What we have to be careful about is labeling as "racial profiling" in the name of political correctness those things that do use ethnicity. For example: while not all terrorists are muslim or arab, 99% of the terrorists who have struck the US and Europe in the last 10 years have been. So does that mean you only concentrate on young male muslims and arabs? Of course not, but you shouldn't put your head in the sand and pretend that the little old white lady from Wisconsin is just as likely to be a terrorist as the 25 year old male carrying a Saudi passport.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:48 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,813,069 times
Protesting can be constructive if you are able to get your message out effectively to the people who are in position to make the desired changes. Going to Phipps Plaza is not going to change a thing. Camping out in a public park for months is not going to make a difference. The $30,000 spent so far by the APD (according to the mayor, yesterday) could certainly make a difference to those without food, transportation, medication.....

I certainly believe in the right to free speech, but this "group" does not seem to have any understanding of economics, public policy, government nor have organizational skills or even the ability to navigate the MARTA. Pathetic.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:04 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
I certainly believe in the right to free speech, but this "group" does not seem to have any understanding of economics, public policy, government nor have organizational skills or even the ability to navigate the MARTA. Pathetic.
Have you actually spoken to any of these people?

Old 10-21-2011, 11:32 AM

714 posts, read 813,972 times
Quote:
Have you actually spoken to any of these people?
Have you actually spoken to any CEOs?

Old 10-21-2011, 11:50 AM

989 posts, read 1,742,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
First you'd have to agree that such a thing exists or can ever be completely removed.

Look, people get "profiled" all day long, every day. That was and has always been the case. People with long hair; people with tattoos; people with handicaps; people who dress differently; etc. You will NEVER change everyone's opinions or beliefs, and that's not a realistic expectation. Today, it is illegal to use race, sex, religion, age, sexual orientation, and other attribute in areas such as employment and lending. Does that mean that every individual always follows the law...of course not, but it's not official and it happens with regard to age, sex, religion, and even blacks discriminating against whites or hispanics.

What we have to be careful about is labeling as "racial profiling" in the name of political correctness those things that do use ethnicity. For example: while not all terrorists are muslim or arab, 99% of the terrorists who have struck the US and Europe in the last 10 years have been. So does that mean you only concentrate on young male muslims and arabs? Of course not, but you shouldn't put your head in the sand and pretend that the little old white lady from Wisconsin is just as likely to be a terrorist as the 25 year old male carrying a Saudi passport.
The way this is worded makes a reader think of the two being the same, whether it was deliberate or not. Most Arabs are Muslim, but most Muslims are not Arabs. If you look at most of the failed attacks within the last 10 years, yes by far they have come from young muslim men, but not Arabs. So thats why racial profiling is problematic, it has too much room for abuse, and more importantly it's a lazy way of investigating.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:55 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Have you actually spoken to any CEOs?
Yes, I have, but I'm not on here bashing CEOs, so I fail to see how that is relevant.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:06 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
Great responses.

Quote:
Responses in bold.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:10 PM

714 posts, read 813,972 times
Quote:
Yes, I have, but I'm not on here bashing CEOs, so I fail to see how that is relevant.
Really? Because I havent ever spoken to a CEO about these larger matters. You must have quite the connections. Can I ask which ones/what did they say?

As a supporter of OWS, you are bashing "corporate greed". CEOs are symbolic of this to most protestors.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:15 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Really? Because I havent ever spoken to a CEO about these larger matters. You must have quite the connections. Can I ask which ones/what did they say?

As a supporter of OWS, you are bashing "corporate greed". CEOs are symbolic of this to most protestors.
I have not spoken to any CEOs about these specific issues, but that is not what you asked, and again, it's not relevant anyway since I've not made one single comment about any CEO, or about CEOs in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta