Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 12:21 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,812,722 times

Advertisements

Well put, Neil.
My question for the Occupy group is what is it that they really want? To take away anything over $200,000 a year that someone earns? I would suggest that most people making that kind of money, have spent at least four years paying college tuition (at private colleges that could mean $40,000 per year), and they are working more than a 40 hour work week with no overtime pay. That they cannot take much of the vacation time that they get, they are connected by technology 24/7 and they don't stop working if they are sick (even post-surgery).
Now, I do think that those at the very top of the corporate, professional sports, entertainment world are making obscene amounts of money, but it is up to the idiots who allow that to happen who need to be stopped. And ultimately, we are the ones voting, in the booth and with our $$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 12:27 PM

559 posts, read 832,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodhipster View Post
I went to Occupy Atlanta, and it was AWESOME! The event was a really great way to come together as a city and get the message across that these fat cats are not going to be able to keep thier money.

2 serious questions, Kirk.

What do the protesters classify as a "fat cat?"

. . . and why do the protesters want to take away their money?

Old 10-09-2011, 12:54 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,451 times
I share a lot of disgust and frustration about what went down on Wall Street with these folks but I don't like how it appears that the far left is hijacking the movement. I was hoping that this would be a more unified movement that would include all sorts of people but it looks more and more like a movement for Che Guevara T-shirt-wearing graduate students. I saw where they "renamed" Woodruff Park Troy Davis Park. Way to polarize conservative working class Georgians who might otherwise be on your side, guys.

I don't think you can make the blanket statement that ALL these people are anti-corporate. And saying someone should eschew anything produced by a corporation before criticizing them is like saying someone shouldn't ride a bus to an environmental rally because it consumes fossil fuels and pollutes the environment. I do agree that corporations have far too much influence on American politics and that shareholders have far too much influence on corporations. Wall Street was a big Get Rich Quick scam that only a handful of people benefited from when it all went to hell. Of course there is plenty of blame to go around and ALMOST EVERYONE let greed get the best of them.

I guess a lot of it has to do with the impression that people's lives seem more under the control of the huge, unpredictable forces of the markets rather than their own will nowadays. Most folks don't understand how Wall Street works but they do understand that whatever went down left them in a lot worse shape as far as their future is concerned. I think a lot of folks want more transparency and moderation in the financial industry.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
Well put, Neil.
My question for the Occupy group is what is it that they really want? To take away anything over $200,000 a year that someone earns? I would suggest that most people making that kind of money, have spent at least four years paying college tuition (at private colleges that could mean $40,000 per year), and they are working more than a 40 hour work week with no overtime pay. That they cannot take much of the vacation time that they get, they are connected by technology 24/7 and they don't stop working if they are sick (even post-surgery).
Now, I do think that those at the very top of the corporate, professional sports, entertainment world are making obscene amounts of money, but it is up to the idiots who allow that to happen who need to be stopped. And ultimately, we are the ones voting, in the booth and with our $$$.

That's kinda what I was asking too.

A-Rod made $32 million playing baseball this year. Is he a fat cat?

Tom Hanks made $50 million for making one movie. Fat cat?

The 27 yr old kid who started Facebook is now worth $17.5 billion. That's more than the entire GDP of many nations.

What if you make money buying/selling securities like Wall Street workers, but your office is not located in lower Manhattan . . . ie Warren Buffett?

Old 10-09-2011, 01:33 PM

187 posts, read 403,968 times
Default Posting LIVE from TROY DAVIS PARK!

To the PEOPLE who THINK they understand the message of this MOVEMENT... you have no clue what YOU are talking about.

Occupy Atlanta is part of the Occupy Wall Street protests. We are not advocating for communism or the USSR (I made a when I read that). We simply want to completely overhaul the government, and use it to take back what is owed to the PEOPLE. We want to PUNISH these fat cats who caused this mess in the first place...bankers, doctors, lawyers, politicians--anyone who thinks they can make a bunch of money and get away with it.

We want to banish these CORPORATIONS and the GOVERNMENT that allows them to influence political decision-making. We want to show them that this is a new AMERICA, where the government is not GOING to let these CORPORATIONS and their GREED go unchecked.

To give those an update, we had a telecast of Presidential Candidate Roseanne Barr speaking live from Occupy Wall Street to Occupy Atlanta. I couldnt record her message, but it was INCREDIBLE. This woman has it right! What she said is very similar to the points she made about the proper punishment for bankers and the rich who wont give up thier money--beheading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGN8cKcSPuQ

And by the way, this post was made with the contributing ideas of many of my fellow occupiers sitting around me.

WE ARE THE 99%!

Old 10-09-2011, 01:42 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,125 times
Quote:
To the PEOPLE who THINK they understand the message of this MOVEMENT... you have no clue what YOU are talking about.

Occupy Atlanta is part of the Occupy Wall Street protests. We are not advocating for communism or the USSR (I made a when I read that). We simply want to completely overhaul the government, and use it to take back what is owed to the PEOPLE. We want to PUNISH these fat cats who caused this mess in the first place...bankers, doctors, lawyers, politicians--anyone who thinks they can make a bunch of money and get away with it.

We want to banish these CORPORATIONS and the GOVERNMENT that allows them to influence political decision-making. We want to show them that this is a new AMERICA, where the government is not GOING to let these CORPORATIONS and their GREED go unchecked.

To give those an update, we had a telecast of Presidential Candidate Roseanne Barr speaking live from Occupy Wall Street to Occupy Atlanta. I couldnt record her message, but it was INCREDIBLE. This woman has it right! What she said is very similar to the points she made about the proper punishment for bankers and the rich who wont give up thier money--beheading.

Roseanne Barr: The Rich Should Be Beheaded.wmv - YouTube

And by the way, this post was made with the contributing ideas of many of my fellow occupiers sitting around me.

WE ARE THE 99%!
Perhaps if you spent more time bettering yourself and working harder, you could one day be a doctor, banker, lawyer or an entrepreneur and be in the top 1%. My wife and I work hard every day and due to hard work, we are on the verge of entering that top 1% of tax payers. Perhaps if you ditched your entitlement attitude and worked harder, you would have a different perspective on wealth.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the update, Kirk. Very helpful.

2 follow-up questions for you and your fellow occupiers . . .

1. You say you're not advocating communism. But, then you say you want to punish people for making money and getting away with it. Isn't that a communist or marxist tenant of seizing individual wealth for the greater good of the people?

2. In the reformed government system you advocate, how much of rich people's money do they have to give up?

EX: Facebook guy's $17.5 Billion . . . in your system, how much should he give the government? 50%? 75%? 90%? All of it?

Old 10-09-2011, 01:58 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,451 times
Quote:

WE ARE THE 99%!
Wow, you're naive to say the least. You have no idea what the movement is about and I doubt anyone involved would allow you to open your mouth anywhere NEAR the press after reading this garbage.

NEWSFLASH: Almost everyone in America, from the Wall Street banker pitching toxic debt to the college student running up thousands of dollars in debt for crap they don't need is part of the problem.

WTF do DOCTORS have to do with this? Is this what this is to you? A war against anyone who happens to make more money that YOU think they should? What exactly is OWED to the people? It's BS talk like this that will cause a huge backlash to this movement. The "people" aren't looking for handouts. We also don't want the government to dictate to each and every corporation what they can and cannot do at every point in their business.

ROSANNE BARR? Are you effing kidding me? And I can't BELIEVE you posted a clip from the RUSSIAN TIMES!!!

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/ric...arr-net-worth/
Don't know how accurate this is but it's probably not far off.

It is just too easy with you.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:58 PM

416 posts, read 972,429 times
Quote:

We want to banish these CORPORATIONS and the GOVERNMENT that allows them to influence political decision-making. We want to show them that thijs is a new AMERICA, where the government is not GOING to let these CORPORATIONS and their GREED go unchecked.

WE ARE THE 99%!
Proof......that the truth IS stranger than fiction.

Roseanne Barr? Beheadings?

Old 10-09-2011, 02:31 PM

187 posts, read 403,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
Thanks for the update, Kirk. Very helpful.

2 follow-up questions for you and your fellow occupiers . . .

1. You say you're not advocating communism. But, then you say you want to punish people for making money and getting away with it. Isn't that a communist or marxist tenant of seizing individual wealth for the greater good of the people?
2. In the reformed government system you advocate, how much of rich people's money do they have to give up?

EX: Facebook guy's $17.5 Billion . . . in your system, how much should he give the government? 50%? 75%? 90%? All of it?
Would you PEOPLE please stop with the communist rants?? We are not trying to kill anyone or start a revolution. We just want to OVERHAUL the government so the proper SYSTEMS are in place to PUNISH these fat cats who caused this whole mess and PREVENT them from ever doing it again! They need to PAY their FAIR SHARE, and if they WONT, then they are going to have to be FORCED to!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta