Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 10:58 AM
aeh aeh started this thread

318 posts, read 1,621,434 times

Advertisements

Hi:
Finally figured out how to do a new thread...anyway, we are looking at Alpharetta, Roswell, Duluth and Sandy Springs. Wondering what the differences are between them and also inquiring about the Riverwood High School and its feeder schools---Heards Ferry and Ridgeview MS, I think--which is in Sandy Springs. Is there a lot of crime in Sandy Springs? What is its reputation? What about the others? My husband would be working close to Norcross. Thanks for any input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2006, 12:49 PM

92 posts, read 659,059 times
all the places you mentioned are good places to be. Sandy Springs has a very good reputation. Very upscale place to live, very easy to get into Atlanta. My wife is a teacher at Heards Ferry Elementary. I'll ask her what she thinks about the middle and high schools in the are and get back to you.

b

Old 07-24-2006, 01:39 PM

Thanks. I'd appreciate your wife's opinion. We currently live in Canada, by way of Texas, and my kids would absolutely be shocked to see anyone that isn't white! They saw a black person the other day and were wondering about the "brown person". They don't remember earlier years in Texas, which is, of course, very diverse. Mainly looking for excellent schools and a safe neighbourhood--ideally with older beautiful homes. Thanks so much!

Hi:

Also, guess I should be asking what the commute time is if you lived in either Sandy Springs and were working in Norcross or living in Alpharetta and going to Norcross? Thanks again eveyrone for being so helpful. Guess it's that Southern hospitality that I miss so much!!

Last edited by Marka; 07-25-2006 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 07-25-2006, 01:31 PM

5 posts, read 26,856 times
Cool prepare you children

Prepare your children for "Brown People"

Old 07-25-2006, 02:48 PM

16 posts, read 58,724 times
Default Be Prepared. . .

AEH, I was just curious. Exactly what part of bbuch's reply indicated that there would be no "brown people"? I agree with Janese. Best to prepare if you plan to move to Metro Atlanta. . .

Old 07-25-2006, 07:41 PM

Hi:

Nothing from his reply--just from reading posts about diversity, etc I was reminded about how "out of touch with the real world" we are up here in Canada where we're rarely exposed to anyone different than us!! My kids are clueless!! Seems so foreign to me....

Old 07-25-2006, 09:33 PM

92 posts, read 659,059 times
Hello again. Used to live in Texas huh? What part? I am originally from Houston. Anyway, homes in Sandy Springs are definitely known for their southern charm. The commute to Norcross isn’t close by, but I think your husband will be going in the opposite direction of traffic for most of the commute. I'm not sure about going from Alpharetta to Norcross, but I think he could do that without getting on 400 or any of the interstates, which should make life easier.

Now for school info: My wife says that the schools you asked about are good and have passed all state requirements, but she said over all they are fairly average. She said that Lakeside has made national rankings and is very near Norcross (where you husband will be working). The elementary schools and middle schools that feed into lakeside are also very good. If you have any more questions let me know and I will pass them along.

B

Old 07-26-2006, 08:07 AM

Default Thanks so much!

Hi bbuch..From Dallas. Thanks for the info on schools. I will check out Lakeside schools and homes in that area as well.....Thanks to your wife and thank you for taking the time to ask her.

Old 10-15-2006, 02:51 PM
PMV

21 posts, read 118,369 times
aeh, I know this is an old thread but I'm curious, where are/were you living in Canada that your kids didn't see any "brown" people??? It obviously couldn't have been any of the big cities....Toronto is considered one of the most multi-cultural cities in the world. White people are becoming the minority here so I hardly think we are "out of touch" in that respect!

Old 10-18-2011, 10:23 PM

7 posts, read 9,059 times
Hello to all, my name is Mercedes. I have been planning on moving from NYC to Atlanta, GA, sometime at least within the next year or so. I am looking for a place to raise my children. I want a pet and family friendly neighborhood that is culturally diverse, or at least on the rise of diversity. My husband and I are in our mid-twenties(pretty young), and are the proud parents of two small boys 4 and 2. My husband is an Hispanic overnight associate at Walmart and definitely has that Spanish look(mistaken for a delivery guy a few times). I am a Black women mistaken for a Hispanic women all the time(some people see me as Black, some people see me as Hispanic, but most people stop and ask first). I am currently a Social Worker MSW soon to be LMSW at a women's homeless shelter here in NYC. Our income combined is some what between 70,000 and 80,000 annually. I have been saving for a house since my oldest son was two months old. We're ready to make that move. I definitely want a single-family home so my children have space to grow at not such a pricey pace. I basically want a house I can live in for years to come. I am doing my own research of course but thought a blog might give me some insight on making my final decision. Is Atlanta a place I want to look into? Thanks to all in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta