Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 12:19 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,924 times

Advertisements

Believe it or not, the $6.14 Billion transporation list was passed unaimously by the metro area mayors (Atlanta region's $6.14 billion transportation list passes unanimously *| ajc.com). Now it is up to us to bring this bill into fruition.

I believe we need this thing to happen to minimize traffic and bring more jobs to the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 11:44 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
I don't know much about this plan, but just reading about it on AJC left me with more questions than answers.

How can a $6 billion plan not do anything significant to expand MARTA rail service?
Funding the belt line might be a neat amenity, but will it really help alleviate congestion?
Every single time I see a MARTA bus, it is at least 7/8 empty. Will adding more buses that nobody uses help with traffic?

I totally agree that traffic needs to be addressed in the metro area, and I think the road projects sound fantastic. I just wish they would either really tackle mass transit and build a system that people would actually use (more heavy rail) or just forget it once and for all and throw everything into more and better roads.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:32 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,031 times
boss!!!

Old 10-14-2011, 12:34 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,410,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I don't know much about this plan, but just reading about it on AJC left me with more questions than answers.

How can a $6 billion plan not do anything significant to expand MARTA rail service?
Funding the belt line might be a neat amenity, but will it really help alleviate congestion?
Every single time I see a MARTA bus, it is at least 7/8 empty. Will adding more buses that nobody uses help with traffic?

I totally agree that traffic needs to be addressed in the metro area, and I think the road projects sound fantastic. I just wish they would either really tackle mass transit and build a system that people would actually use (more heavy rail) or just forget it once and for all and throw everything into more and better roads.
The plan does include MARTA heavy rail expansion on the north line to SR 140.

Quote:
This project funds the corridor planning, engineering, environmental review and assessment, improved interim bus services, and possible limited right‐of‐way acquisition for the extension of the MARTA North (Red) Line. The build out project extends the MARTA North (Red) Line from its existing terminus, located at North Springs station in the city of Sandy Springs, to a new terminus station at SR 140 (Holcomb Bridge Road) in Roswell. The project runs parallel to the existing SR 400 expressway, including a new station at Northridge Road. Addressing heavy travel demand in the SR 400 corridor, the community north of the North Springs station is currently underserved by transit. The project also provides a foundation for future rail extensions northward that serve additional activity centers in North Fulton County. When opened, the project is forecast to support an average 11,800 weekday boardings (in 2025).
It also includes some kind of expansion into Cobb and Dekalb (possibly rail).

There is this item which has a large cost of $689 mil:

Enhanced Premium Transit Service ‐ Acworth / Kennesaw / Town Center to MARTA Arts Center Station

Quote:
This project will implement enhanced premium transit service along the Northwest Corridor between Acworth/Kennesaw/Town Center and the MARTA Arts Center Station including express commuter service in northern Cobb County and Cherokee County. Operational improvements include Queue Jumper Lanes and Smart Corridor Implementation (signal pre‐emption) which benefit the Region by improving safety and operations of Cobb Community Transit Route 10, currently one of the busiest public transit bus routes in the Southeast. The project includes design, right of way and construction. Also included is a maintenance depot, parking facilities and the purchase of transit vehicles. Premium transit service benefits residents of the Region by improving access between CCT and MARTA, and alleviating traffic congestion on major corridors. Contingent upon additional funding, this project may also provide a fixed guideway rail service along a route generally parallel to I‐75/US 41. Phase 1 would provide fixed guideway improvements between Cumberland/Galleria and the MARTA Arts Center Station. Numerous studies support the feasibility of this project. The 2010 update of the Northwest Corridor Transit Implementation Study (2001) estimates projected ridership of 92,600 boardings by 2025, including circulators. The Northwest Corridor High Capacity Transit System is defined in the Regional Transportation Plan (RTP), and is included in both the Cobb County 2030 Comprehensive Transportation Plan (CTP) and Concept 3 as developed by the Transit Planning Board. If implemented, Phase 1 would provide economic and traffic benefits for the Region as a whole. Specific details will be further determined in an Alternatives Analysis Study, which is currently underway.
And this for $700 mil:

Clifton Corridor Transit ‐ Lindbergh Center to Emory University / Centers for Disease Control

Quote:
This project supports construction of the initial fixed‐guideway phase in the Clifton Corridor. The strategy includes funding for new rail transit infrastructure from Lindbergh Center to the Emory/CDC activity center (although track cross‐over configuration will require that trains also operate along the existing Gold Line between Lindbergh Center and Lenox stations); rail guideway elements, and 5 to 6 stations; major infrastructure treatments to minimize impacts to adjacent properties (tunnels, aerial structure); and operating and maintenance costs. The project implements rail service to meet the complex travel patterns and needs within the service corridor as identified within the Clifton Corridor Transit Initiative ‐ Alternatives Analysis (AA). The project provides long distance travelers approaching the Clifton Corridor from points along the Gold line or Red line with rail service into the Emory/CDC complex. The alignment includes options to interline with other regional rail services at either end of the corridor for service into the Beltline Corridor and connections with the Avondale Station (on MARTA Blue line), as recommended by the Clifton Corridor AA. When opened, the project is forecast to support an average of 10,200 weekday boardings (in 2025).
It also seems to include a commuter rail to Griffin.

The vast majority of the projects are roads however.

Here is the full report. http://www.atlantaregionalroundtable...nal_report.pdf

Last edited by atltechdude; 10-14-2011 at 12:52 AM..

Old 10-14-2011, 12:35 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

its being extended.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:33 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
The plan does include MARTA heavy rail expansion on the north line to SR 140.

It also includes some kind of expansion into Cobb and Dekalb (possibly rail).

There is this item which has a large cost of $689 mil:

Enhanced Premium Transit Service ‐ Acworth / Kennesaw / Town Center to MARTA Arts Center Station

And this for $700 mil:

Clifton Corridor Transit ‐ Lindbergh Center to Emory University / Centers for Disease Control

It also seems to include a commuter rail to Griffin.

The vast majority of the projects are roads however.

Here is the full report. http://www.atlantaregionalroundtable...nal_report.pdf
yes and no...

first a better place to go for information (admittedly time consuming is the website Atlanta Regional Roundtable - Penny sales tax referendum to fund transportation projects and their final list/report http://www.atlantaregionalroundtable...nal_report.pdf)

The plan does not include money to build an expansion to SR140

It includes $37 million for project development activities. Basically they are getting the ground work started to make it a shovel ready project. This will allow them to jump at other funding sources when it becomes available (federal funding). I wouldnt be surprised to see them set up TAD for transit station development as they build a line further north. It is the best side of town and land around transit stations (with the proper zoning) will be worth alot. A TAD will take that increase in value the transit provides to help pay for the transit.

The official project list states this "This project funds the corridor planning, engineering, environmental review and assessment, improved interim bus services, and possible
limited right‐of‐way acquisition for the extension of the MARTA North (Red) Line."

I would also point out the same thing exists for the Gwinnett Transit corridor (a sizable $95m). It won't built the project, but it will make it shovel ready, easier to petition for federal funds, and cheaper perhaps when the tax is renewed after 10 years.

For the Cobb route... this has been a hotly debated issue. That $689m is only enough to build the first half of the whole route. They plan to go further, but not necessarily with this funding source or in the same time frame. It will most likely end in Cumberland Galleria and Midtown. However, this will also fund capital improvements for enhanced bus service on the parts of the route that aren't built (traffic light lanes that let buses skip ahead of traffic and automatically turns lights green, etc...)

The Emory/CDC expansion is fully paid for.

One thing I would like to spot out ... I would like to see a TAD set up around station sites... especially where this new route would cross I-85. I think this might make savings for the total cost of the project so we can put more money elsewhere.

I don't think we should back down from setting up Tax Allocation Districts and encourage funding from CIDs just because a project is funded by this tax.

If a transit project makes land more valuable. We should try to make that increase value -help- pay for the project and save money for other purposes.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
first a better place to go for information (admittedly time consuming is the website Atlanta Regional Roundtable - Penny sales tax referendum to fund transportation projects and their final list/report http://www.atlantaregionalroundtable...nal_report.pdf)
yeah that's what I linked lol

Quote:
The plan does not include money to build an expansion to SR140

It includes $37 million for project development activities. Basically they are getting the ground work started to make it a shovel ready project. This will allow them to jump at other funding sources when it becomes available (federal funding). I wouldnt be surprised to see them set up TAD for transit station development as they build a line further north. It is the best side of town and land around transit stations (with the proper zoning) will be worth alot. A TAD will take that increase in value the transit provides to help pay for the transit.
Thanks for the clarification. $37 mil for a heavy rail expansion did seem light to me.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:41 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
btw, I just want to cheerlead some of the road projects. It is expansive and very important.

It is doing alot to help make 316 start to become a limited access highway which is no small thing and very important for safety. It is an extremely dangerous road and many of the accidents happen in Gwinnett. There is also alot of money for several bridges over I-85 in Gwinnett for local traffic and pedestrians (There are no on-ramps). This is very important in helping local travel in Gwinnett (keep in mind most commuters travel locally and are often slowed down crossing freeways where there are major on-ramps).

There is also money to help re-do traffic lights on all the major downtown/midtown core streets in Atlanta, as well as resurface. This is very important for increasing capacity and improving pedestrian and auto safety. It will also help make Atlanta's core start to feel new again. I just wanted to throw that out there, because I think people look over those things because they aren't as sexy.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:43 AM

Quote:
There is also money to help re-do traffic lights on all the major downtown/midtown core streets in Atlanta, as well as resurface. This is very important for increasing capacity and improving pedestrian and auto safety. It will also help make Atlanta's core start to feel new again. I just wanted to throw that out there, because I think people look over those things because they aren't as sexy.
I love this. I live on N Druid hills and they finally just repaved it, the state was simply horrible before. I know other roads need the same thing in the area.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:17 AM

631 posts, read 1,093,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
Believe it or not, the $6.14 Billion transporation list was passed unaimously by the metro area mayors (Atlanta region's $6.14 billion transportation list passes unanimously *| ajc.com). Now it is up to us to bring this bill into fruition.

I believe we need this thing to happen to minimize traffic and bring more jobs to the area.
Wow...just...wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta