Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 06:22 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poplartree2014 View Post
On the first day of school, my then 13 year old 5 foot son, 8th grader, was beat almost unconscious by a 16 year old 8th grader because he was quote "trying to act white." My son loves to read, an honor student, and all around decent kid. We would shop at Ab-Fitch, Aero, PAC Sun, Target, even Walmart. He didn't care if his shoes came from Payless, as long as he liked them. After the incident, my son started wanting to wear baggy clothes and what I call "ghetto gear." He later confided to me that he was being teased, called gay, boys would squeeze his rear in the hallway because of his clothes. I was very angry for a long time.

That's horrendous, but I'm not surprised at all. If your son keeps doing what he's doing and those other kids keep doing what they're doing, guess who will wind up in jail and guess who will wind up successful?

I hope those kids like squeezing boys butts, because that's just a hint of what they can expect when they get to jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 09:13 AM

187 posts, read 918,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
That's horrendous, but I'm not surprised at all. If your son keeps doing what he's doing and those other kids keep doing what they're doing, guess who will wind up in jail and guess who will wind up successful?

I hope those kids like squeezing boys butts, because that's just a hint of what they can expect when they get to jail.
LMAO at that one. Perhaps these guys "are testing the water, as the old folks would say."

Quote:
Originally Posted by poplartree2014 View Post
All I really want is someplace to raise my children, contribute to my community, retire and live my life in peace. It saddens me that everywhere I go it's the same thing. Crime, traffic, and ignorant people
Unfortunately this is usually the trademarks of most major cities in America. But I do believe Atlanta has many things (if not all) of which you desire for your children and yourself. I would not allow other peoples opinions or experiences deter me from exploring a city that is very diverse and has much to offer. Good luck and tell your son to keep his head up and never submit to the ways of his generation.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 6,463 times
How can you outlaw a fashion tend? There is no way that this law will pass because there is no way to distingiush between underwear and non underwear. If someone goes to the grocery store with only gym shorts (no underwear) then nobody would care because nobody would know that individual was free ballin'. But if that same person puts jeans on over those gym shorts and sags then that would be illegal? Ridiculous and Racist.

Most people on hear say that these people look stupid. But lets take things back to the 80's when tight ripped stone wash jeans were in style with some of the white youth. What is the difference? Skin is still being exposed.

Give these kids a break. It's just a way to have their own identity. Nothing wrong with that. It's apart of growing up.

*on a side note: does anyone on here know the origin of sagging? It might put things into perspective.

Last edited by Astro-black; 09-05-2007 at 03:52 PM..

Old 09-05-2007, 03:50 PM

2 posts, read 6,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuzz View Post
In the inner city community, the baggy look was so that it was easier to conceal weapons and drugs.
scared + ignorance = prejudice

Old 09-06-2007, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,216 times
I do not agree with the person who grew up in the hood and said that most moms are either on drugs or work long hours.. I am a single mom who lives in the "hood" and I work during the day. I am not on drugs I am not looking for a man and I do not need the government dictating what my children can wear. I feel that if we allow them to express themselves through clothing they will be less tempted to do it through drugs. They need to be able to wear what they want as long as they are not exposing themselves. I dont like looking at men who wear those stupid toupee but that does not mean that i want them banned. Well anyway. I just hate it when people judge someone by the way that they were raised. Some of us "hood" moms love and care about our children and we think that it is okay for them to wear baggy pants. What else are we going to allow the government to dictate in our lives. Give me a break. What happened to the land of the free!!!!!!!

b.b.b

Old 09-06-2007, 11:49 AM

371 posts, read 1,555,078 times
There are plenty of white kids dressed like this so it isn't a race thing, banning a clothing style that isn't lude is crazy anyway, if these kids want to dress like circus clowns, let them, what harm does it do? All that will happen if a ban went ahead is that some civil rights campaigner will use it as another example of how "x,y and z" are oppressed, probably while getting it at least half wrong and creating unrest that just doesn't need to be there, banning things like this just gives politic another axe to grind.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:52 AM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Banning sagging pants won't work. It is a waste. Why not spend time on other things like how the transit in metro Atlanta is a joke, but no let's spend time picking out petty crap. Besides, banning sagging pants won't deter crime.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:18 PM

77 posts, read 332,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro-black View Post
scared + ignorance = prejudice
my experience + your ignorance = you have no clue

Did I say black kids? Nope, I didn't, because I know its not just black kids. Its white kids, black kids, hispanic kids, etc. I've been told by people that I've pulled guns and drugs off of that the main reason that they wear baggy pants its because its easier to hide stuff. A lot of officers are afraid to grab a guy's balls, hence why they stick stuff there and you can't easily feel the balls if they have baggy pants.

And yes, I am prejudice....against criminals. In my experience a majority of street crime is committed by people wearing a certain type of clothing, hence my prejudice against anyone who wears a certain type of clothing. If a saw a majority of street crimes being committed by guys wearing tutus, then I'd want to stop every guy wearing a tutu on the street that looks like he's doing something illegal. Its kinda like seeing a guy wearing a "Legalize Pot" shirt and realizing, "Hey, I bet he smokes pot!"

Old 09-07-2007, 08:27 PM

233 posts, read 906,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoutthroughit View Post
I do not agree with the person who grew up in the hood and said that most moms are either on drugs or work long hours.. I am a single mom who lives in the "hood" and I work during the day. I am not on drugs I am not looking for a man and I do not need the government dictating what my children can wear. I feel that if we allow them to express themselves through clothing they will be less tempted to do it through drugs. They need to be able to wear what they want as long as they are not exposing themselves. I dont like looking at men who wear those stupid toupee but that does not mean that i want them banned. Well anyway. I just hate it when people judge someone by the way that they were raised. Some of us "hood" moms love and care about our children and we think that it is okay for them to wear baggy pants. What else are we going to allow the government to dictate in our lives. Give me a break. What happened to the land of the free!!!!!!!

b.b.b
I think what I was trying to get across is that not every child has a capable (parental skills or know how) parent/guardian at home that is monitoring their everyday life. I guess I get tired of people saying that parents should be more involved, when personally I know of many of the issues faced by families living in the hood. -(Not to say that every hood is the same)

Getting back on topic:
I think that it is fine to express yourself through clothing; unfortunately this look has been identified as a look that most young criminals also wear to express themselves.

And just for the heck of it, we should add toupee to the list considering Donald Trump refuses to pay for a good one...

Last edited by NYnowNC; 09-07-2007 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: Add more text

Old 09-09-2007, 09:31 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,531,821 times
Nice to see where the tax dollars of Atlanta are going... especially that 8.25% sales tax; because we all know that C o Atlanta has NO other problems, except this one. Crime is low, traffic flows freer than waters in the mountains, and their schools are churning out the most educated individuals in America.

This reminds me of that ordinance made in Los Angeles County because there was a small cross in the background of the gov. seal. It cost them $10 million to impose the ordinance. Again, they had NO other problems to tackle.

Ay ay ay, when are governments going to tackle the real issues instead creating them to make it look like they're doing something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta