Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2011, 12:42 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
I can't be sure, but the car behind that trolley sure looks like a '55 Chevy...

ETA: Might be a '53. Definitely wasn't manufactured in the 1940s.
Right, but as waronxmas says, this isn't a photo of Atlanta.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:51 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Right, but as waronxmas says, this isn't a photo of Atlanta.
Yes, I read that. Thanks for clearing it up, waronxmas.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:03 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
One of my granddaddys was a trolley man for Georgia Power, which morphed into the Atlanta Transit Company and ultimately became MARTA. He made the transition to the "trackless trolleys" (electric buses) and became a supervisor, but he never quit fuming about how cantankerous they were.

Those of you who recall riding on them know that they were infamous for the contact points becoming disengaged from the overhead wires. This typically happened right at rush hour.

The operators had long poles they used to try to get them back onto the lines but it was akin to trying to pick up a single noodle with a two foot long chopstick. When that didn't work, guys like my grandpa would come out and climb up on top of the car and manually re-engage them. Very precarious work, especially if it was raining.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:09 PM

864 posts, read 1,123,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Of Deen View Post
Come on, mate. You're not really suggesting that Atlanta is as urban or more urban than Washington, DC. Have you ever been to your nation's capital city? Atlanta is definitely not nearly as large, nor as dense. It's not as well-served by multiple mass transit nodes like Washington. The high number of pedestrians on Washington's streets is second only to New York in quantity. The abundance of multiple parking lots in between Atlanta's buildings was quite off-putting to me as a pedestrian tourist.

It's been about 10 months since I was last in Atlanta, and I don't list it in my top favourite American cities. I was a victim of a street mugging and had to walk miles to my hotel due to no readily available public transport. I'm putting together my itinerary for my East Coast U.S. tour during the winter holiday season. The way you lot treated MDAllstar was disgraceful and definitely a turn-off for any potential visitors.
You are either trolling or you haven't read the thread. Please no one is arguing about density and this this is about Downtown developments and designs rather the rail and density.

We are also tired of people from other cities trying to tell us about our city, often with bad information. We are not desperate for more people to move here so we don't need your advice on that.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:25 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
You are either trolling or you haven't read the thread. Please no one is arguing about density and this this is about Downtown developments and designs rather the rail and density.

We are also tired of people from other cities trying to tell us about our city, often with bad information. We are not desperate for more people to move here so we don't need your advice on that.

He's talking about johnatl saying "Atlanta was more urban than D.C. in it's core". I didn't even waste time responding to that comment by johnatl. D.C.'s built environment and density is apples and oranges compared to Atlanta. Honestly, I have read many threads on the city vs. city board where johnatl is going off and attacking people. I am not surprised to see him address people in a rude manner which is why I asked him why he was so mad at the world.

Where are you from originally? Im wondering why you have such an attitude. This must be the fourth time in this thread where reading comprehension failed on your part. It's amazing with that being the case how you still have an attitude.

On an urban planning side note, rail density is what downtown's develop around. TOD = Transit Oriented Development. In a downtown, those TOD buffer zones should overlap to create a CBD.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 11-16-2011 at 01:34 PM..

Old 11-16-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
He's talking about johnatl saying "Atlanta was more urban than D.C. in it's core". I didn't even waste time responding to that comment by johnatl. D.C.'s built environment and density is apples and oranges compared to Atlanta. Honestly, I have read many threads on the city vs. city board where johnatl is going off and attacking people. I am not surprised to see him address people in a rude manner which is why I asked him why he was so mad at the world.

Where are you from originally? Im wondering why you have such an attitude. This must be the fourth time in this thread where reading comprehension failed on your part. It's amazing with that being the case how you still have an attitude.

On an urban planning side note, rail density is what downtown's develop around. TOD = Transit Oriented Development. In a downtown, those TOD buffer zones should overlap to create a CBD.
The argument is dumb because Downtown Atlanta was developed around rail and has 0 lot development and urban canyons. The problem is no one lives down there so of course the density number are going to be low. Even talking about density and the built environment is trolling this thread because the foundation is there. Downtown Atlanta just needs to get more people living and setting up shop there by getting rid of the homeless and crime which was what this thread was about before people who don't live here started doing the whole "Atlanta hates density" bull.

John is probably mad at people bashing Atlanta from other cities. No one from Atlanta is pushing this city on anybody, yet people feel the need to "teach Atlanta a lesson". Only on city-data. This is why people like me stay out of those city vs city forums because it is all a stat and anecdotal pissing contest that normal people just don't care about in real life.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:52 PM

725 posts, read 1,279,448 times
Quote:
The argument is dumb because Downtown Atlanta was developed around rail and has 0 lot development and urban canyons. The problem is no one lives down there so of course the density number are going to be low. Even talking about density and the built environment is trolling this thread because the foundation is there. Downtown Atlanta just needs to get more people living and setting up shop there by getting rid of the homeless and crime which was what this thread was about before people who don't live here started doing the whole "Atlanta hates density" bull.

John is probably mad at people bashing Atlanta from other cities. No one from Atlanta is pushing this city on anybody, yet people feel the need to "teach Atlanta a lesson". Only on city-data. This is why people like me stay out of those city vs city forums because it is all a stat and anecdotal pissing contest that normal people just don't care about in real life.
I also have a problem with the bull that "no one lives downtown" last i checked the population of downtown was at about 1,000 thats not alot but it is alot more than "no one" Also i belive GSU students are not counted in that number.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:33 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:

So that justified rude exchanges? Also, maybe you need to read page 10 and 11 of this thread because that is where the conversation changed and those posters are from Atlanta. But of course you decided not to respond to the originators that high jacked the thread. You just felt compelled to misquote my posts and completely misread what I said. By the way, I think the reason people are hard on Atlanta is because this is an urban city data forum and Atlanta is actually wrote about and used in textbooks for what not to do. In a different setting, this would not be the case though. I can understand how people can be offensive. I didn't attack Atlanta and even complimented Atlanta saying it doesn't need to be like the urban cities up north. It is fine how it is. But you completely changing what I said multiple times trying to frame me in a negative light was unacceptable.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
I also have a problem with the bull that "no one lives downtown" last i checked the population of downtown was at about 1,000 thats not alot but it is alot more than "no one" Also i belive GSU students are not counted in that number.
I don't think anybody seriously think 0 people live there so lets not even play that game. 1000 doesn't really make much of a difference for a metro of 5+ million.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
So that justified rude exchanges? Also, maybe you need to read page 10 and 11 of this thread because that is where the conversation changed and those posters are from Atlanta. But of course you decided not to respond to the originators that high jacked the thread. You just felt compelled to misquote my posts and completely misread what I said. By the way, I think the reason people are hard on Atlanta is because this is an urban city data forum and Atlanta is actually wrote about and used in textbooks for what not to do. In a different setting, this would not be the case though. I can understand how people can be offensive. I didn't attack Atlanta and even complimented Atlanta saying it doesn't need to be like the urban cities up north. It is fine how it is. But you completely changing what I said multiple times trying to frame me in a negative light was unacceptable.
Where is this in the site description? Maybe this the case for city vs city but on the individual forums?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta