Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 10:04 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
You're correct. I should have been more clear. Originally, nothing relating to alcohol was stated in the Constitution. It was prohibition by way of an amendment which made it illegal, and it was its overturn which legalized it.

That said, it doesn't mean that alcohol should be legal. It's simply legalized poison.

There's nothing to support that interpretation when it is thoroughly analyzed and researched.

Alcohol should be banned because it causes harms to others, not necessarily because it causes harm to one's self. High fatty foods do not cause harm to anyone other than the people who are eating it. In other words, only those who eat it face life-ending harm.

Regardless of whether you think it is debatable, a well-armed citizenry makes it less likely for the government to send troops into one's home. Even the founding fathers argued this point.

I haven't contended otherwise.

Here's your problem. Alcohol kills OTHER people. It harms OTHER people. I haven't argued that government should harm other people. I'm simply talking about alcohol.

With alcohol, it is not an issue of "rights", given that the presence of one to consume alcohol often leads to the harm of other people, taking away their life and, hence, their rights.

You can't go up to someone and shoot them. Someone may feel that such is their right, but they can't do it, because it harms someone. Likewise, someone can't rape someone at will, even though they may feel they have the right to do it. Why? Someone is harmed in the process. Likewise, arguing about "rights" and drinking alcohol is tantamount to saying that one has the right to do anything, even if it harms someone else.

Actually, I despise big government. Speaking out against the dangers of alcohol and giving reasons for why it should be banned is not being supportive of big government. After all, if someone were being robbed, do you think that the person committing robbery should go scott-free? Therein lies your argument. Being against alcohol is sound and logical, and it makes sense for why it should be banned.

By your logic,everyone should have acces to nukes,grenades,fighter planes ,etc..Did the founding fathers think of that?
I'm sure the answer would be much difrent.
Besides handguns and the type that are accessible to public are basically pointless in todays world where a governement can be overtaken by terroristic actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 03:09 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times
Afonega, you're a better man than me to continue debating that guy. I just can't get how someone can entertain so many contradictions in their head without feeling a deep sense of cognitive dissonance about it.

How can a person argue without restraint that alcohol kills and ignore the fact that a handgun by its very nature is designed to kill? And then easily demand that the former should heavily regulated while the latter not all? WTF!

And where are the so-called libertarians to argue against this nonsense? So let's get this straight: I can be accused of being a troll for pointing out the contradictions but this hypocrisy goes unanswered by the so-called city-data libertarians/less-government conservatives? Man, this is definitely why I don't have any respect for southern politics.

But I guess it's this same topsy-turvy counter-logic that's enabled our government to go into heavy debt while still entertaining the notion of being a world-power with military in nearly every country of the world (if you include the embassies).

Go figure.

I need a shot of the ol' Jack Daniels to stomach this contradiction. Pass me a bottle, afonega!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
By your logic,everyone should have acces to nukes,grenades,fighter planes ,etc..Did the founding fathers think of that?
I'm sure the answer would be much difrent.
Besides handguns and the type that are accessible to public are basically pointless in todays world where a governement can be overtaken by terroristic actions.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:00 PM

864 posts, read 1,122,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Afonega, you're a better man than me to continue debating that guy. I just can't get how someone can entertain so many contradictions in their head without feeling a deep sense of cognitive dissonance about it.

How can a person argue without restraint that alcohol kills and ignore the fact that a handgun by its very nature is designed to kill? And then easily demand that the former should heavily regulated while the latter not all? WTF!

And where are the so-called libertarians to argue against this nonsense? So let's get this straight: I can be accused of being a troll for pointing out the contradictions but this hypocrisy goes unanswered by the so-called city-data libertarians/less-government conservatives? Man, this is definitely why I don't have any respect for southern politics.

But I guess it's this same topsy-turvy counter-logic that's enabled our government to go into heavy debt while still entertaining the notion of being a world-power with military in nearly every country of the world (if you include the embassies).

Go figure.

I need a shot of the ol' Jack Daniels to stomach this contradiction. Pass me a bottle, afonega!
Are you blind or stupid? I already addressed that guy and his nonsense on multiple pages in this thread so don't even go bring up libertarians.

//www.city-data.com/forum/21699773-post80.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/21702806-post85.html

Old 11-16-2011, 05:03 PM

Where the heck are those libertarians/less-government conservatives when you need them?

Old 11-16-2011, 05:20 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Where the heck are those libertarians/less-government conservatives when you need them?
Trying to make a few dollars so we can pay for the needs of the less fortunate. You've got a lot of people who want their food and their cable TV.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:42 PM

If they would just layoff on the whiskey and bourbon there would be more dollars in the coffers for the less fortunate, darn it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Trying to make a few dollars so we can pay for the needs of the less fortunate. You've got a lot of people who want their food and their cable TV.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:58 PM

906 posts, read 1,745,767 times
Quote:
That's my question every time an election rolls around and they tend to vote Republican (or not vote at all). It's odd to me how often libertarians sort of throw the "no government intervention" stance out the window whenever social issues are on the table, but then they seem uber-passionate whenever anti-tax issues pop up.

Or at least that's been my experience with most libertarians I've known, especially in Georgia.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Are you blind or stupid? I already addressed that guy and his nonsense on multiple pages in this thread so don't even go bring up libertarians.

//www.city-data.com/forum/21699773-post80.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/21702806-post85.html

Old 11-16-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
That's my question every time an election rolls around and they tend to vote Republican (or not vote at all). It's odd to me how often libertarians sort of throw the "no government intervention" stance out the window whenever social issues are on the table, but then they seem uber-passionate whenever anti-tax issues pop up.

Or at least that's been my experience with most libertarians I've known, especially in Georgia.
Those aren't libertarians.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:02 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Libertarians are just Republicans who want to smoke pot and have lots of no-strings attached sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta