Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 11:19 AM

165 posts, read 482,776 times

Advertisements

Atlanta Business Chronicle article (http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2011/11/09/harris-poll-atlanta-less-desirable.html - broken link) states that a Harris Poll shows that Atlanta is a less desirable place to live.

The problem I see with the poll is that a lot of the cities that are on the least desirable list are also on the most desirable list. Example, New York City is #1 for the most desirable and also #1 for least desirable.

As for Atlanta, I would guess this has to deal with job loss, foreclosure rates, and our crappy schools that have been on the news lately.

I also think that since people are cutting back in this economy and becoming more environmentally aware, no one wants to live in a city where you have to drive everywhere and a region that continues to ignore expansion and implementation of alternate forms of transportation. And although I was raised in Atlanta, and for the most part love the city, these two reasons have been pushing me to live somewhere else for a change (looking at SF, Seattle, Portland).

I unfortunately think that because the education sales tax was extended, the transportation tax vote next year doesn't stand a chance. Most people don't want to jump to that 9% sales tax rate, and most people outside of the perimeter would rather continue their trek monday-friday in 2 hour traffic in their Tahoe, than be open to a rail option that may actually be an alternate for them.

endRant();
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 12:38 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,979,428 times
We all know the real reasons why Atlanta has become less desirable over time.

Who among us is going to have the guts to actually state them on this forum? Not me!

Old 11-09-2011, 01:18 PM

864 posts, read 1,118,727 times
Blah blah Atlanta sucks blah blah.

Just f@&king leave. Jeesh. Maybe my rent will go down if the whiners get out.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:33 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,720,252 times
I live ITP and never drive my car. MARTA has the ability to take me everywhere I need to go. I never travel OTP and never want to unless visiting family in other states. I have been talking-up the transportation tax at work and hope that my co-workers, whom all complain about commuting 2-hours, actually do something to improve their quality of life. By moving in-town my quality of life has greatly improved.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:42 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,259,446 times
That's kind of an interesting poll. As you say, cities like New York, L.A., Dallas, and Atlanta are polarizing -- some people love them, some hate them. But as a former Houstonian, I have to whine a little. It shows up on the "least favorite" and not the "favorite" list, a distinction it shares with cities like Detroit, Cleveland and Newark. WTF??? It's not for everyone, obviously, but despite good press lately Houston is still a really underrated city IMO.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:48 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,915,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
That's kind of an interesting poll. As you say, cities like New York, L.A., Dallas, and Atlanta are polarizing -- some people love them, some hate them. But as a former Houstonian, I have to whine a little. It shows up on the "least favorite" and not the "favorite" list, a distinction it shares with cities like Detroit, Cleveland and Newark. WTF??? It's not for everyone, obviously, but despite good press lately Houston is still a really underrated city IMO.
This comes to mind:

Old 11-09-2011, 02:53 PM

969 posts, read 1,951,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyte3k View Post
Atlanta Business Chronicle article (http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2011/11/09/harris-poll-atlanta-less-desirable.html - broken link) states that a Harris Poll shows that Atlanta is a less desirable place to live.

The problem I see with the poll is that a lot of the cities that are on the least desirable list are also on the most desirable list. Example, New York City is #1 for the most desirable and also #1 for least desirable.

As for Atlanta, I would guess this has to deal with job loss, foreclosure rates, and our crappy schools that have been on the news lately.

I also think that since people are cutting back in this economy and becoming more environmentally aware, no one wants to live in a city where you have to drive everywhere and a region that continues to ignore expansion and implementation of alternate forms of transportation. And although I was raised in Atlanta, and for the most part love the city, these two reasons have been pushing me to live somewhere else for a change (looking at SF, Seattle, Portland).

I unfortunately think that because the education sales tax was extended, the transportation tax vote next year doesn't stand a chance. Most people don't want to jump to that 9% sales tax rate, and most people outside of the perimeter would rather continue their trek monday-friday in 2 hour traffic in their Tahoe, than be open to a rail option that may actually be an alternate for them.

endRant();
Am I the only one who doesn't think this spells the end for the transportation SPLOST?? The only place that will have a 9% sales tax is the city limits of Atlanta... and at least we are getting half of the Beltline built, road repairs, and MARTA maintenance as well as rail line linking Lindbergh, Emory and Avondale.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:57 PM

3,698 posts, read 5,945,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I live ITP and never drive my car. MARTA has the ability to take me everywhere I need to go. I never travel OTP and never want to unless visiting family in other states. I have been talking-up the transportation tax at work and hope that my co-workers, whom all complain about commuting 2-hours, actually do something to improve their quality of life. By moving in-town my quality of life has greatly improved.
I live ITP and just got rid of my car.

The idea you need a car in Atlanta is completely false if your place of work is MARTA accessible. It's nice to have a car, but not necessary. It also would be nice to eat at a restaurant every meal and not to have to do laundry.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:21 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,720,252 times
Quote:
Am I the only one who doesn't think this spells the end for the transportation SPLOST?? The only place that will have a 9% sales tax is the city limits of Atlanta... and at least we are getting half of the Beltline built, road repairs, and MARTA maintenance as well as rail line linking Lindbergh, Emory and Avondale.
I agree the cost is worth the trade off. Plus the tourist won't know the difference. I lived in Alabama and the sales tax is anywhere from 9%-10%. The roads suck, worse schools, and no transit.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:53 PM

3,656 posts, read 3,906,318 times
North Carolina, consistently the 6th most desirable state. Re-affirms my opinion of my home state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta