Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 02:25 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
Would you say it is more or less overblown than the rhetoric that anyone living within Atlanta city limits needs to own a large dog and/or gun, can't get a good education for their kids, or are snobs who cling to narrow definitions of "diversity" and "urban living"?
They are probably about the same on the bogometer.

Very few suburban livers spend have their lives cooped up in cars.

Likewise, most of us city dwellers are just as safe as folks in the suburbs. We don't need dogs or guns (although we may have them by choice), and we have lots of kids and fantastic schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 02:35 PM

538 posts, read 926,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

And on the bold area, it is always interesting to me that people here in GA think that some areas have the best schools in the country. Personally I feel all the schools here are subpar because the Georgia Professional Standards IMO are lower than other areas of the country so what many consider good schools, I see as average schools. For example based on the new high school ratings only one high school made it in the top 100 schools here in GA. They ranked #100 and they were in Augusta not in metro Atlanta or the north suburbs. Not wanting to start battles about schools but just wanted to point out that pretty much all schools in GA are not that good when compared nationally to other areas.

Source:

Gold Medal List | US News Best High Schools
"As reported in Newsweeks annual ranking of the top High Schools in the nation, Milton High School ranked number 313, down slightly from last years ranking of 311, and is the highest ranked high school in North Fulton. Milton comes in just in front of Alpharetta High School but well behind Walton, North Gwinnett and South Forsyth High School. There are 19 Georgia high schools in the top 500, with 13 of them being located in North Atlanta"

Alpharetta Real Estate » Milton High School Ranks in Top 500 Nationally According to Newsweek

Just sayin'.....

Old 11-11-2011, 02:54 PM

668 posts, read 994,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
They are probably about the same on the bogometer.

Very few suburban livers spend have their lives cooped up in cars.

Likewise, most of us city dwellers are just as safe as folks in the suburbs. We don't need dogs or guns (although we may have them by choice), and we have lots of kids and fantastic schools.
Great answer.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:03 PM

725 posts, read 1,279,448 times
I would stay, i think that area has some potential especially being located on the beltline.

If you feel unsafe than

Install a good security system if you dont have one
Lock your doors at night
Turn the lights on if you feel that helps( Interesting to note that MLK floodlight his house during
the montgomery bus boycott, not suggesting this just pointing out a interesting historical fact.)
You Have a gun, that pretty much covers everything, just keep it handy if you feel unsafe.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:57 AM

10 posts, read 15,759 times
So, as I said before, I'm not here to make a profit. I bought the house because it was dirt cheap and in a nice looking area. Of course, the 100% section8 apartment complexes are an eyesore, but my street is otherwise very pretty and has a natural landscape and built layout that would be impossible to replicate in a gated community in Cobb County (where I work). Personally, I either want to live in an urban environment or a completely rural, country environment. I don't see any reason, other than a sense of security, to choose to be in a suburb. My family actually lives in Asheville, NC and I work in ATL during the week. If my kid was here, I'd still be okay with peoplestown, he'd just be at a private school.

I know peoplestown has potential. There are some nice houses and the location is perfect, however, I'm not expecting to make any money. I would like to try to make the community better. I hope to start planting a giant free garden on the back half of my lot. It would be fun to make a difference.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:03 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkinlyon View Post
Yah, I'm certainly not planning on "flipping" the house. I am going to live here. Many people have come up to me and asked when it's going to be for rent and if it's going to be section 8. When I say that I plan on living there, I've received shocked and genuinely warm reactions.

I've got my AC caged in, dogs on his way, cameras will be up soon, and lighting is happening. I don't look at it as an investment, just a nice(ish) place to live that has true possibilities. Thanks for the support.
I know how you feel.I had the feling 6 years ago when I moved in an area that is part of Historic Westside and Vine City.My parents thought I was crazy,and so did my friends.The house I have was brand new.I now have 3 on the same street and I rent to college students.

Ive had some things occassionally that pushed my level of comfort but overall I feel safe.

You and others are right,I strongly reccomend:

1)Motion Floodlight on every corner ofthe house.
2)A fenced in Back yard and maybe a picket fence around the front with a gate.
3) I have 2 dogs.Not vicious but vicious looking.They bark whenever anybody ven walks by on the sidewalk.
4)Alarm
I have never been broken into.And since I have done all those things,I feel safer.I do have a built up guard that I never let down but I don't live in fear either.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:05 AM

738 posts, read 1,377,705 times
We recently moved from rural Cherokee County to Kirkwood. (arjay57, I was one of those "very few" people who spent half my life in the car - my commute was 1.5-2 hours each way, or 3-4 hours/day). The single biggest adjustment I've had to make is regarding security. Our neighborhood is not especially bad, but has some sketchy spots and the crime rate is exponentially higher than it was out in the middle of nowhere.

We already had the dog and the guns, and it wasn't hard to get in the habit of locking all the doors and never leaving anything in the car. We leave the outside lights on all night, but we also invested in a monitored alarm system - which I have never had before. It has the usual siren if anyone breaks in, plus a panic sequence that silently calls the police if you get accosted on the way in the door and forced to enter an alarm code. I like that I can set the alarm when I'm home by myself and it will at least give me some warning if someone enters the house. And it does work - as I found out when I set it off by mistake and got a visit from the boys at Zone 6. Worth every penny of the ~$20/month monitoring fees.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:45 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
We recently moved from rural Cherokee County to Kirkwood. (arjay57, I was one of those "very few" people who spent half my life in the car - my commute was 1.5-2 hours each way, or 3-4 hours/day).
researchnerd, I won't ask you how that happened but you have my condolences. That's a heck of a drive!!

Old 11-14-2011, 01:25 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
To researchnerd,
Where in Kirkwood do you live? I know every street is different, but we live on Hosea L. Williams Drive and never any any problems.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:16 PM

738 posts, read 1,377,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
To researchnerd,
Where in Kirkwood do you live? I know every street is different, but we live on Hosea L. Williams Drive and never any any problems.
We're just east of "downtown" Kirkwood, between Hosea and Oakview. In general the vibe feels comfortable here, and I don't anticipate any problems. A single mom lived in this house before us for >5 years and said she'd never had any trouble. Still, I'd rather be prepared and not need it than the other way 'round.

arjay57, my former commute was truly soul-crushing. It's now six miles instead of 50, which is much more reasonable. There are some definite tradeoffs, but that's a whole other thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta