Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 06:38 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times

Advertisements

How is it that a person with the name "northwinds" is complaining about people who move down here from up north?

But then again, this is the south. Contradictory bubba-logic reigns supreme here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 06:41 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,046,590 times
All over is right. Not just other states but many from all around the world. We moved here from the pacific northwest.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:34 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
All I know is that too many dam! yankees have moved here in the last 30 years or so......completely changed the quality of life here.....when was the last time you let someone merge in traffic and they gave you a friendly wave in the mirror?....never happens anymore and it used to be the norm. Not to mention they're always talkin' about how much better everything is done "up north" and "back home"....to which I always respond "Delta is ready when you are".....
You do realize that it isn't just those, and it's spelled "DAMN yankees" aren't the only transplants that moved here, right? Perhaps that person that moved from Asia or Africa doesn't exactly know the "southern" customs.
Besides, isn't it a part of "southern hospitality" to be welcoming to ALL people, regardless of their origin? ...See, this is why I don't believe in this southern hospitality thing. Sure, yeah, a southerner will be nice to your face, but they'll sure talk a lot of smack behind your back!
THIS southerner welcomes ALL whether you're from New York, Boston, Chicago, Bangkok, Tokyo, London, etc.. you get the picture.
..and by ALL means, PLEASE cut off that slow southerner in the left lane who can't drive worth a flip... wouldn't blame you if you game 'em the finger either! haha

...ok, rant complete.

For the record, this transplant is from Savannah. Not too far of a migration, but a noticeable difference in weather IMO!

Old 11-12-2011, 05:29 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
How is it that a person with the name "northwinds" is complaining about people who move down here from up north?

But then again, this is the south. Contradictory bubba-logic reigns supreme here!
I sympathize with him, as I feel the same way. Non-southern transplants, at least from most areas of the country, are just different. A few would be okay, but when they're numbering in the thirty to fifty percent of your population, and outnumbering you in some areas, on your turf, there's something wrong about that.

Northern accents are downright annoying. Those from much of Ohio, Indiana, Maryland, southern Illinois, parts of Pennsylvania and Missouri are okay, but just about everywhere else, the tone of their speech sounds odd. It's either a nasally sounding shrill, or something that sounds overly snobby and pompous.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
You do realize that it isn't just those, and it's spelled "DAMN yankees" aren't the only transplants that moved here, right? Perhaps that person that moved from Asia or Africa doesn't exactly know the "southern" customs.
Besides, isn't it a part of "southern hospitality" to be welcoming to ALL people, regardless of their origin? ...See, this is why I don't believe in this southern hospitality thing. Sure, yeah, a southerner will be nice to your face, but they'll sure talk a lot of smack behind your back!
THIS southerner welcomes ALL whether you're from New York, Boston, Chicago, Bangkok, Tokyo, London, etc.. you get the picture.
..and by ALL means, PLEASE cut off that slow southerner in the left lane who can't drive worth a flip... wouldn't blame you if you game 'em the finger either! haha

...ok, rant complete.

For the record, this transplant is from Savannah. Not too far of a migration, but a noticeable difference in weather IMO!
I don't know of suburbs in the northern states where domestic migrants (transplants) from other regions of the country make up a majority of the population.

This seems to only happen in the South, by and large, and of course a few western areas, but the latter doesn't have as strong a presence of regional identity for the transplants to dilute.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:49 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
Not to mention they're always talkin' about how much better everything is done "up north" and "back home"....
Kinda reminds you of the way some Southerners are always talking about how much better everything is done "down south" and "around here."

On the traffic thing, I have people let me over with a friendly wave all the time. I always try to do the same, especially if it's an attractive young lady.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Kinda reminds you of the way some Southerners are always talking about how much better everything is done "down south" and "around here."

On the traffic thing, I have people let me over with a friendly wave all the time. I always try to do the same, especially if it's an attractive young lady.
Why only attractive young women? Why try to be a white knight? Do you think that you're going to benefit personally? What makes a young attractive woman better than anyone else? All treating attractive young women better than others does is feed their over-inflated sense of self worth and makes it worse on young men being able to obtain dates.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:00 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Why only attractive young women? Why try to be a white knight? Do you think that you're going to benefit personally? What makes a young attractive woman better than anyone else? All treating attractive young women better than others does is feed their over-inflated sense of self worth and makes it worse on young men being able to obtain dates.
Oh, there's no justification for it. I guess it does feed my ego, but at this stage of life there's not much else feeding it.

I pretty much let everybody else over too, unless I can tell they're a jerk.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:41 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times
They brought most if the crime and stds to Atlanta

Old 11-12-2011, 06:53 AM

876 posts, read 2,278,167 times
I would guess by sheer number of American transplants in the ATL metro hail from New York, Ohio, Illinois, Florida and Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta