U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 01:10 PM

77 posts, read 184,306 times

Advertisements

I have always been interested in demoography---and in particular, black migration patterns. But I am also interested North-to-South migration patterns across all demographic groups, and Atlanta intrigues me. I was just wondering what are the largest groups of migrants in the ATL.

Judging from what I have read (and seen with my own eyes on TV when watching sporting contests), there appears to be a lot of New Yorkers, Detroiters, New Jerseyans and Chicagoans, but perhaps I am wrong. Well, I read an article a few years ago that stated that there were an estimated 225,000 New Yorkers in Metro Atlanta, but I am thinking that might be a conservative estimate. Anectodally speaking, everytime the Knicks come to Philips Arena it seems that the Knicks fans make up a heavy contigent of fans at the games, and it has been that way for a number of years. And when the Yankees, Mets and Red Sox come to Atlanta it seems as though their fans take over Turner Field.

I also perceive that there are a lot of black New Yorkers, Philadelphians and New Jerseyans in Atlanta, which makes a lot of sense, given the fact that many (if not most) black Georgians moved to the Northeast during the Great Migration period in American history (1915-1970). Notable black New Yorkers with Georgian roots include the late Ossie Davis, the late Lena Horne, Spike Lee (paternal side), and Mary J. Blige (family hails from Savannah, Georgia).

I also sense that there are a large number of Ohioans and Michiganders in the area (I mentioned the Detroit area earlier). I am not so certain about Chicago, though I spoke of it earlier in this post. I know that a lot of Chicagoans are in the Twin Cities area---well, black Chicagoans---and many are starting to move to Madison, Wisconsin and Iowa, especially Eastern Iowa.

Well, I hope to get some interesting answers to this thread. Have at it people!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 01:25 PM

23,728 posts, read 20,322,697 times
My wife and I moved from Alabama. Not much migration there?

Old 11-11-2011, 01:40 PM

4,688 posts, read 7,165,740 times
Basically everywhere. I have met someone from just about every state here

Old 11-11-2011, 01:44 PM

257 posts, read 421,573 times
There are a lot of Chicagoans in Atlanta. Go to a Braves game when they play the Cubs in Atlanta, and you'll see what I mean.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:44 PM

668 posts, read 890,126 times
I don't think you want to use attendance at sporting events for estimating population size. Most Yankee, Mets and Red Sox fans I've met are not from NYC or Boston - they became fans from seeing those teams on tv all the time, or because they had the big name players. You're probably just as likely to find Atlanta natives wearing those opposing caps as your are transplants from those cities.

I'm not sure I get what you're saying about having a large population from the Northeastern cities due to the the Great Migration. Do you mean to say that they are moving back?

I know there are a lot of Chicagoans that live here, but that is because I am also from Chicago and probably more attuned to finding other transplants. Very few of them, though, are actually from the city itself. Usually when I ask people which part of town they're from they answer with a far-out suburb that's closer to Wisconsin.

I imagine you would be able to find some type of census data either online or in a library that takes city of birth into account. That would certainly be the most authoritative answer. I don't know if city of origin was a long-form question, though.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
I don't think you want to use attendance at sporting events for estimating population size. Most Yankee, Mets and Red Sox fans I've met are not from NYC or Boston - they became fans from seeing those teams on tv all the time, or because they had the big name players. You're probably just as likely to find Atlanta natives wearing those opposing caps as your are transplants from those cities.

I'm not sure I get what you're saying about having a large population from the Northeastern cities due to the the Great Migration. Do you mean to say that they are moving back?

I know there are a lot of Chicagoans that live here, but that is because I am also from Chicago and probably more attuned to finding other transplants. Very few of them, though, are actually from the city itself. Usually when I ask people which part of town they're from they answer with a far-out suburb that's closer to Wisconsin.

I imagine you would be able to find some type of census data either online or in a library that takes city of birth into account. That would certainly be the most authoritative answer. I don't know if city of origin was a long-form question, though.

Well yes, many AAs are moving back to the South, and Georgia is at the top of the list (or perhaps Texas). Many of the transplants are moving for jobs, but there's also the added pull of ancestral roots in the region (South Atlantic, but that would also include VA, NC, SC and FL). If you research the reverse migration statistics (and through my own anecdotal accounts from relatives and friends), many people are moving back to cities and states where their ancestors toiled the soil. Hence, the large numbers of Black Californians in Texas and Oklahoma, and Black Chicagoans in the Mississippi Delta towns.

But that's not my primary focus for discussion. I am curious about the migratory patterns in general. Do you tend to find people from certain areas of the country living in your neighborhood, town, or county. And I know about the Census maps for migration, but when you click on highly populated counties it's a hot mess, making it very difficult to read.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:20 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,217,068 times
Lots of Floridians here. For those of us born in hot weather environments, Atlanta is about as far north as we can bring ourselves to move.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Lots of Floridians here. For those of us born in hot weather environments, Atlanta is about as far north as we can bring ourselves to move.

LOL...Beautiful quote. Hey, why don't you take plunge and move to the Upper Midwest...lol. Just kidding.

I seriously thought about moving to Orlando, but the job in question didn't come through---this was in 2008. Coming from Iowa, I would find it strange enough to have just a few inches of snow in Atlanta most Winters; I couldn't imagine living in a state where there wasn't any, though I am open to living in Florida...lol.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:43 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,386,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky2012 View Post
LOL...Beautiful quote. Hey, why don't you take plunge and move to the Upper Midwest...lol. Just kidding.

I seriously thought about moving to Orlando, but the job in question didn't come through---this was in 2008. Coming from Iowa, I would find it strange enough to have just a few inches of snow in Atlanta most Winters; I couldn't imagine living in a state where there wasn't any, though I am open to living in Florida...lol.
Squeaky, this is my 10th winter in metro Atlanta (specifically, the Roswell-in-East-Cobb area). I would personally find it exceedingly strange to have just a few inches of snow in Atlanta most winters. The reason I would find this strange is that in my 10 year experience, Atlanta gets far less snow than you appear to think. Most winters we don't get any snow at all. At least, not any that accumulates in the ground. I suppose maybe most winters we get at least a few flakes in the air that melt on hitting the ground, on at least one day. Having lived in snowy climates previously, I wouldn't personally call that a day of snow.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:29 PM

538 posts, read 828,361 times
All I know is that too many dam! yankees have moved here in the last 30 years or so......completely changed the quality of life here.....when was the last time you let someone merge in traffic and they gave you a friendly wave in the mirror?....never happens anymore and it used to be the norm. Not to mention they're always talkin' about how much better everything is done "up north" and "back home"....to which I always respond "Delta is ready when you are".....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta