Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 10:28 AM

387 posts, read 1,593,675 times

Advertisements

Airports. Or should I say.... airport.

Another reason I want desperately to move back to Florida:

The fares from the Atlanta airport are just absurd. Let's face it, Atlanta is the only airport in the state. I'm sure there are some decently priced, short-haul flights from Savannah or Brunswick, but the lack of choice in airports makes me want to punch my own face in repeatedly for living here.

In Florida, there are so many choices of international airports with amazing deals. You could live in central Florida... find a super deal from Jax and never think twice whether the "commute" would be worth your while. I'm looking for flights to Seattle sometime in this coming month or October... from Atlanta? Nearly 400$, with awful times. Can someone explain this to me? Is it Delta? Because I really don't get it. Flights from Jacksonville, Tampa, and Orlando are - at the cheapest- 187 round trip, from MULTIPLE airlines. Same with flights from Florida to Costa Rica. There are also more "obscure" European airlines that fly right into many Florida airports, even small ones like Ft Myers. They will take you long-haul to Europe at incredible fares.

Add this to the list of reasons why the day I leave this place will be among the happiest in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 11:23 AM

247 posts, read 1,289,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post
Airports. Or should I say.... airport.

Add this to the list of reasons why the day I leave this place will be among the happiest in my life.

And when will that day be?

Old 08-27-2007, 11:35 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Sounds like you fly a lot. You should have looked into airfares from Atlanta before you came to live here. You only have yourself to blame.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:36 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,538,018 times
This reminds me of the people that always complain at work....if it sucks so bad, why don't you quit? It's not like someone's putting a gun to your head and ordering you to spend your life in Atlanta. I'm sure no one will be crushed if/when you leave - why not stop complaining and actually do something about it? It's not quantum physics, the solution to your problem is pretty easy - MOVE!

Old 08-27-2007, 12:09 PM

Hence the "the lack of choice in airports makes me want to punch my own face in repeatedly for living here"...

Of course, leaving a state is not always as easy as somebody writing "JUST MOVE THEN IF U H8 IT SO MUCH OMG OMG!!!!" As much as I would love to pack my entire place up tonight and leave, things aren't that simple. People stay because it takes a while to find a job, especially in another state... I've heard the rule of a month to find a job for every 10k you want your salary to be. There are also other reasons beyond ones self, like someone near and dear to you only being able to practice law in the state of Georgia at the moment, and on and on and on.

I'd honestly like someone, perhaps an Atlanta native, or someone with airline and airport knowledge to explain to me the situation here. Is it a Delta monopoly? Or the fact that there is only one major airport in the state?

Old 08-27-2007, 12:38 PM

276 posts, read 1,127,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs964 View Post
And when will that day be?
Hello,
Other than the lack of airports that we have here in FL( I am happily moving to GA next month or in Oct) why is it that you moved to GA and why is it that you cant wait to leave GA? I am curious. I live in FL and absolutely hate it...to expensive, snobby people, houses, taxes and homeowners so far our of reach no normal family can afford to live here and have money left in thier budget to actually enjoy your family life and of course lack of good paying jobs without having to go thru all the nasty traffic and last but not least the tourist and the traffic....Horrible...Nice place to visit and I will as I still will have family here but not to live here that is for sure...Thanks..Lisa

Old 08-27-2007, 12:46 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post

Of course, leaving a state is not always as easy as somebody writing "JUST MOVE THEN IF U H8 IT SO MUCH OMG OMG!!!!"
Now you are coming across like a spoiled child.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibseysgirl View Post
Hello,
Other than the lack of airports that we have here in FL( I am happily moving to GA next month or in Oct) why is it that you moved to GA and why is it that you cant wait to leave GA? I am curious. I live in FL and absolutely hate it...to expensive, snobby people, houses, taxes and homeowners so far our of reach no normal family can afford to live here and have money left in thier budget to actually enjoy your family life and of course lack of good paying jobs without having to go thru all the nasty traffic and last but not least the tourist and the traffic....Horrible...Nice place to visit and I will as I still will have family here but not to live here that is for sure...Thanks..Lisa

Which part of Florida are you coming from?

I'm probably in a way different situation than you are. I do not yet have a family, nor am I looking to buy a house right now. I moved here because it seemed like a logical thing coming out of college. I lived in Florida my entire life, and I thought it was just a stupid place. It felt like Florida was the laughing stock of the entire nation, which is it... anyway, I thought Atlanta would be a refreshing new place but would still have elements that I was used to - like warm weather... Publix... etc.

If you are moving to Atlanta, and you don't want to be around snobs or traffic, I feel that you may be disappointed, as Atlanta is chock full of both. I miss the ocean, my family & friends, access to cheap travel, and the "diversity" of Florida. What I've seen of Atlanta is welcomed segregation, traffic, snotty people living way beyond their means, lack of water, poorly kept nature reserves (the "Chattahoochee Reserve" by Roswell is a JOKE if you're coming from places in Florida), and a winter that was colder, darker, and longer than I expected. That's my experience, and I wish you luck.

JPD. I asked a question mixed with a very obvious facetious undertone, in return all I got was "MOVE OUT IF U HATE IT!!! DUH!!!".

Old 08-27-2007, 12:58 PM

Sorry - I see you're from Naples nibsey. I know very little about Naples, so I can't say much... but good luck.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:03 PM

11 posts, read 29,496 times
Yes mg83, I agree with the other posters- You only have yourself to blame. Why did you not research every aspect of Atlanta down to average airfares to major American and European cities? And why didn't you interview the residents to see if they were snobby, cliquish, or rude? To me it just sounds like poor planning on your part.

WAI DUN U JUZT MOOV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta