Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 09:29 AM

165 posts, read 483,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniJe View Post
Single family living is like a low income house or apt? What is it all about?
Single family home is a detached home, as opposed to a multi-family home, such as an apartment, condo, townhome, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 02:46 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,854,118 times
You people need to update your ignorance ... Clayton County Schools got their accredetation back 3 years ago and are making improvements, albiet slowly. For a single mom (who is presumably black) it's probably about the only affordable place to be in Metro Atlanta. About 50 percent of the population in Clayton is single black moms.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:00 PM

864 posts, read 1,121,064 times
How do we know she is black?

Old 11-26-2011, 06:40 PM

864 posts, read 1,121,064 times
Quote:
Small Town Girl moving... 11-26-2011 08:55 PM We know she is black because the only people who would want to move to Atlanta these days are blacks. Atlanta has lost its appeal to whites in the past decade.
Lol@whoever sent me this. Some of you people need lives.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:03 PM

10 posts, read 18,435 times
Look on Remax Atlanta. They have some pretty good stuff on there. And you can talk to a relator who will take you to view properties etc. Hope it helps!!

Old 11-26-2011, 10:48 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,031,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
You people need to update your ignorance ... Clayton County Schools got their accredetation back 3 years ago and are making improvements, albiet slowly. For a single mom (who is presumably black) it's probably about the only affordable place to be in Metro Atlanta. About 50 percent of the population in Clayton is single black moms.
Why not some areas in Cobb with arguably better schools? It's not like a lot of Cobb is expensive, especially if she's looking for an apartment.

To the original poster: it would be helpful for us if you could provide the answers to some of the following questions:

1. Budget
2. House/Condo/Townhome?
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
4. Children(public school vs. private)
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:58 AM

6 posts, read 8,993 times
Oh wow to the race com
ments ,seeing that ha snothing to do with it. Im looking for a nice inexpensive apartment under 600 a month. As far as school, public is preferable. The reason I chose the area is because the job will be in riverdale.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:18 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,015,985 times
Quote:
We know she is black because the only people who would want to move to Atlanta these days are blacks. Atlanta has lost its appeal to whites in the past decade.
If this statement was rephrased to "because no white person would move to Clayton county" it would be a little closer to the money.

Take it with a grain of salt....obviously there are SOME white people in Clayton county, but also be realistic. You know it's mostly true.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:27 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,676,336 times
These are my words of wisdom. Those who are ahead of the curve gain while those who come in at the tail end of a curve lose out. The Atlanta boom, while not completely over, has run its course. I assume you are African American because every African American seems to think that Atlanta is the land of milk and honey in regards to relationships and jobs. If the area is the land of Milk and Honey then why is the black poverty rate so high and why is the state’s unemployment rate nearly as bad as the State of Michigan and why has the state lost 33,000 jobs, since this time last year, while Michigan, with all its reported woes and problems, gained 48,000 jobs during the same period?

Many AA are attracted to ATL because of its reputation as a black mecca and all the fine black women and men there are to see and have in such a place (if you are not AA...ignore this thread). When I hear people give their rationalizations for wanting to go to Atlanta, it’s rarely things like good schools, safe community, and better place to raise a family, but I have often heard OPPORTUNITY mentioned. Well, the opportunities have severely contracted in the ATL and the other popular reasons given seem to all centers around excitement and getting ones freak on. Housing cost in the ATL are low when you compare it to the East Coast cities and California, but given that you are from Michigan you are not going to find housing much cheaper in the ATL.

My feeling is that if one values and appreciates black culture then you can find what you need in a metro area that has about half a million blacks, give or take. You don’t need to move to one of the larger black population centers. Only you know what you value the most. I am also from Michigan originally. I moved to the ATL for a hot second while going to college. Then I went back to Michigan and finished my degree at Wayne State. Then I moved to Minnesota. It was culture shock because there is a small percentage black population. I have to say that the opportunity here is better than Atlanta, the schools are good and it’s a safer environment. It’s also cold as hell….lol. However, my quality of life here is good.

If I were you I would consider Houston, Dallas, DC and the like, if you really desire living in a big city with lots of blacks, because the economy in those places are still growing. However, the best place for opportunity is in the North Central states……but they are not very diverse. I am really not bullish on the prospects for the Georgia economy anytime soon. Michigan's economy will grow faster than Georgia's the next several years......but Michigan is coming from such a big job loss, the last decade, that even with all the growth it still will not make up for all the jobs lost anytime soon.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 12-01-2011 at 01:08 PM..

Old 12-02-2011, 07:34 AM

6 posts, read 8,993 times
Ok, let me clear somethings up because everyone is getting off the subject of my post, especially since nobody answered any of my questions. I am moving down there for a job that I already have waiting on me that in Riverdale. I wanna stay close to that area. I could careless about race and where most of a certain race lives. Im just trying get a feel for the area and to make the best of it. I honestly believe that no matter where you live, its what you make it. I don't wanna make a long commute daily.

And as far as moving to any other city like the person above stated, I have family in ATL and that is important to me since I do have a child. If anything was to happen at school or if I got called intso work I like the fact that I have around the clock child care. I have to take my son into consideration also. I thank you guys for your responses but could we please stay on subject. Im just looking for an apartment and school in a area no more then 15-20 minutes away from riverdale. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta