Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 10:47 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,512,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
I'm just used to direct flights. If I have to change flights i will not go
Seriously? Its not that big of a deal, you get off of one flight and onto another. Different airports have different layouts that can make it easier or harder for connections.

About 80% of passengers at Hartsfield are just connecting through, only around 20% actually have Atlanta as their origin/destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
I am originally from south and move to New York about a year ago. The first 3 reasons that the OP listed are more than enough to make a person want to move to ATL.

New York City is an amazing place to live and work, but the high cost of living and quick pace of life can weigh a person down. I absolutely love it here but just can't see myself settling down and having a family. I make close to $80K a year and can tell you that I have a good life but in no way am I balling. I have a small studio apartment, a nice car, and I go out maybe two or three weekends per month. Buying a house anywhere near the city is out of the question. Property taxes, city, and state taxes, and car insurance are unbelievable.
Where do you live? You should be able to easily get a 1 bedroom in most parts around here on 80k. I've heard car insurance in the outer boroughs is crazy, but for some reason in Manhattan it isn't so bad. I pay $115 a month for full coverage on a top of the line Accord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 11:09 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,034 times
Quote:
I'm just used to direct flights. If I have to change flights i will not go
Overdramatic much?

Old 11-26-2011, 11:38 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,356,130 times
For me, the direct-flight thing was important when I moved here. Anyone who travels enough will understand that. Anyone who doesn't travel often might not. I absolutely hate connecting flights.

Another big thing for me is something my wife repeats often. She says this all the time. Even if you don't love the city of Atlanta, within a few hours' drive you can be on the beach (either the Atlantic or the Gulf), at Lake Lanier (or many others), white water rafting or chilling in a cabin in the North Georgia mountains, skiing in North Carolina, hiking in various mountainous regions, and do all this from your city life.

Almost all cities have some combintion of the above, but few have all of that available within 6 hours' drive, and much within just a couple of hours.

And the general cost of living is great. For housing, it was great if you got in at the right time, or if you don't mind living out there. I unfortunately got in at the wrong time and am way underwater on my house. I've been doing some home searches recently as we're wanting to move, and haven't been able to find anything even remotely close to my $250k budget in an area that I actually want to live (or that isn't very old) that isn't a townhouse. But, if you're more flexible about where you live, then absolutely!

Old 11-26-2011, 11:54 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,627,328 times
Stars Flock to Atlanta, Reshaping a Center of Black Culture

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/26/us...l?pagewanted=1

Old 11-26-2011, 01:57 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,130,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Glad to see so many mention higher education, but specifically the University System of Georgia which does not get nearly enough credit for what it contributes to this state. With 35 institutions, 311,000 students and a $2.5 billion endowment, it's the 4th-largest university system in the nation after Ohio State, SUNY and Cal State. Created in the 1930s, it's one of the few things that Georgia did right at a time when most of the rest of the South was regressing. Since the advent of the HOPE Scholarship it has only grown bigger and more vital to the overall quality if life and economy in Georgia, with billions of dollars in new investment that has literally transformed and expanded EVERY campus in every corner of the state. If you don't understand the huge value and efficiency of our state university system, just spend time in neighboring states with competing public systems (North Carolina) or go to Alabama, which has NO higher education system at all, but instead two dozen independent campuses that all compete against each other for students, programs, funding. We're very fortunate.
That's debatable. The University System of Georgia is not all that well coordinated and many schools are experiencing "mission creep". The recent proposal for consolidation of campuses suggests that the University System has inefficiencies. Georgia schools do compete with each other for students, programs, and funding with Kennesaw State of late being the most vocal. Granted that they have to do all that through the BOR, but the BOR seemingly doesn't like to say no very often.

We probably have too many schools and schools were at times located for political reasons. As for the endowment, GT and UGA account for most of that. No other school's endowment even come close to GT and UGA. And North Carolina has a good university system with UNC Chapel Hill being better than even UGA. And GT had better watch its back as NC State is really gearing up to be a major research center. Alabama does alright but they probably have too many engineering schools when it should have concentrated on a few or just one. Georgia recently is expanding the number of schools that offer engineering. There are plenty of other good state supported southern universities.

Last edited by MathmanMathman; 11-26-2011 at 02:15 PM..

Old 11-26-2011, 02:13 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,130,121 times
I looked at a lot of it but I didn't feel like going through all of it. But I couldn't find anything there that authoritatively shows that Atlanta is the most treed city anywhere and of all time. Most of it seems subjective to me.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:12 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,018,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
For me, the direct-flight thing was important when I moved here. Anyone who travels enough will understand that. Anyone who doesn't travel often might not. I absolutely hate connecting flights.

Another big thing for me is something my wife repeats often. She says this all the time. Even if you don't love the city of Atlanta, within a few hours' drive you can be on the beach (either the Atlantic or the Gulf), at Lake Lanier (or many others), white water rafting or chilling in a cabin in the North Georgia mountains, skiing in North Carolina, hiking in various mountainous regions, and do all this from your city life.

Almost all cities have some combintion of the above, but few have all of that available within 6 hours' drive, and much within just a couple of hours.

And the general cost of living is great. For housing, it was great if you got in at the right time, or if you don't mind living out there. I unfortunately got in at the wrong time and am way underwater on my house. I've been doing some home searches recently as we're wanting to move, and haven't been able to find anything even remotely close to my $250k budget in an area that I actually want to live (or that isn't very old) that isn't a townhouse. But, if you're more flexible about where you live, then absolutely!

I think people who arent used to direct flights just don't understand.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:26 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I looked at a lot of it but I didn't feel like going through all of it. But I couldn't find anything there that authoritatively shows that Atlanta is the most treed city anywhere and of all time. Most of it seems subjective to me.
Does it have to be "the most treed city anywhere and of all time" to use it as a legitimate selling point? The City of Atlanta has 36% tree cover, which is a higher percentage than any other large city in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta#Tree_canopy

Old 11-26-2011, 05:30 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
I think people who arent used to direct flights just don't understand.
When I lived in the Twin Cities (one of the main two hubs for Northwest Airlines), the local airline (NW) was dragged over the coals for higher prices, but most folks didn't seem to care that having a large airline based there presented advantages. Like lots of direct flights from MSP.

I suspect they are slowly learning what they've lost as DL phases routes out. MSP is still a hub, but ATL is the home hub.

I didn't mind MSP-ATL-MSP with a brief layover in MKE when I used to fly Midwest, but that's mainly because the other bennies they provided (large leather seats, warm cookies) outweighed the layover. But direct flights ARE nice.

It's nice to see people appreciating their local airline...

Old 11-26-2011, 05:43 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,761 times
Cost is a big factor for many people traveling on their own dollar.

Ironically, I'm typing this in a large airport... have been on en route from the west coast of Canada for 9 hours already, and am now awaiting arrival of the delayed inbound flight from Chicago in order to finally get away on the last leg of my long journey.

Oh well, the airport WiFi is free.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta