Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 02:42 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,098,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Because we're talking about black people and Atlanta, specifically; not other places. To be honest, I've never witnessed black folks hyping up any city the way they do this one.
That still is too abstract, that why I said well I have directly observed people making a lot cities out to be more than they are. There's no need to single out Atlanta. Understand it's an opinion some poster be really trying to argue opinion or there experiences as a fact. besides that I don't know the people who you say hype Atlanta. Then it depends on your view of how good Atlanta is, if it low then someone else who love it, would appear as if they're hyping Atlanta to you.

The reason why it bugs me because it has been used on these forums to bash Atlanta "blacks move to Atlanta because of hype." Also because it's abstract, Atlanta is now overrated base on not being perfect.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:20 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,564,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanti View Post
The D.C./Baltimore region in my opinion is a little more cultured as far as Blacks. Almost all of the major Black associations, fraternities and news media are located in the region. Black households earning $200,000 and above more than triples the Atlanta total and leads the nation in total numbers while being smaller than New York and Atlanta. Including Baltimore it is quadruples Atlanta. Percentage wise Blacks in the D.C. area lead the nation with a bachelor's degree or higher and with Baltimore surpasses every region in the nation in raw numbers. The D.C./Baltimore region has the highest total number and percentage of Black owned businesses. Although the Atlanta area gained 500,000 Blacks this past decade the D.C./Baltimore region gained 220,000 Blacks making it second in raw numbers to Atlanta. The difference is the cost of living between the two regions. Blacks without a major skillset or atleast a bachelors degree are more likely to choose Atlanta over D.C. With all that said D.C./Baltimore still has more black people with 2,250,000 to Atlanta's 1,700,000. As far as Black pop culture is concerned Atlanta is the premier city for that but D.C. was never in the running. D.C. is a political town and image is everything so the Atlanta Black pop culture image just wouldn't make it in D.C. So until those fact are disputed D.C. will remain the Black mecca
Image is everything?? So are you saying CANT lower itself to black celebrity worship or WONT lower itself to that level? I know DC has rappers, basketball players, football players, baseball players, poliitcal peeps, etc etc....it just seem the media does not glorify DC like the do Atlanta...if what you say is true thats a lil odd.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Atlanta doesn't have the crime rate nor the image of Baltimore for the wire to shot here, And yes I know you hate the facts Africans Americans are moving here but anyways. it's like the chicken or the egg with the media though it's something that build up Atlanta has a black pop culture scene that Houston, Philly, Chicago & DC don't have. No one thinks Atlanta is the only city for blacks, that just sound silly anyways to that too. Atlanta has a black LA image to blacks nothing more or less then that. Atlanta has the 2nd largest black population, that why black media cover Atlanta so much. I believe the Georgia Entertainment Industry Investment Act has alot to do with it too.
Lol @ Black LA.....

Old 12-01-2011, 03:42 PM

864 posts, read 1,123,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Perhaps others feel this way, but my ire is directed at Atlanta principally because of Tyler Perry. I just can't shake that association in my mind....Atlanta films = Tyler Perry. His movies are so basic. There are nice black films like Love Jones (this was by far the best, imo) and then really terrible films and shows like "Meet the Browns." I have to go into work every day knowing that my co-workers see commercials for "Meet the Browns."

Good Black Movie

Shoot me please.
What about For Colored Girls and Why Did I Get Married (1 and 2)? He made those and they are very mature and well made.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Yeah, I totally agree. The "black media" presents Atlanta, New York, Los Angeles and Miami (to a lesser extent) as the four "it" cities for African-American culture/success. I think the real problem is that some people feel as if Atlanta is in the mix with the other three illegitimately. They rail against it over and over again on threads like these by skewing the discussion to how the "black media"/City of Atlanta (lol) is pushing an agenda that Atlanta is the only place that counts for black people and how all black people (except for them since they are enlightened, of course) are just mindless zombies to this media onslaught. Quite bizarre if you ask me.
Its true black media pushes Atlanta HEAVY. It is what it is. The Black Media loves Atlanta more than any other city where black people actually live. From Jet, BET, Ebony, Essence, Sister2Sister, Upscale & TV One...to those outlets Atlanta is all you see & read about in them sometimes DC & Chicago get a lil love sometimes. but 85 % of all great black people live or strive in Atlanta according to them. Ok Zombie?

Old 12-01-2011, 03:47 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,331,345 times
Quote:
That still is too abstract, that why I said well I have directly observed people making a lot cities out to be more than they are. There's no need to single out Atlanta. Understand it's an opinion some poster be really trying to argue opinion or there experiences as a fact. besides that I don't know the people who you say hype Atlanta. Then it depends on your view of how good Atlanta is, if it low then someone else who love it, would appear as if they're hyping Atlanta to you.

The reason why it bugs me because it has been used on these forums to bash Atlanta "blacks move to Atlanta because of hype." Also because it's abstract, Atlanta is now overrated base on not being perfect.
I have not personally witnessed blacks from all over canonizing any one city as much as they do Atlanta. There's nothing "abstract" about that statement, whatsoever. It's dead on with what Nairobi has observed. It isn't a fact, and it isn't an opinion. It's an observation; my observation.

I have a high opinion of Atlanta, but there are people who have opinions of the city that I would perceive to be too high, to the point that you can't tell these folks nothing.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:50 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,331,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
What about For Colored Girls and Why Did I Get Married (1 and 2)? He made those and they are very mature and well made.
Those films were terrible.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Atlanta gets more attention in the black media.
Cool.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:33 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyimetro View Post
its true black media pushes atlanta heavy. It is what it is. The black media loves atlanta more than any other city where black people actually live. From jet, bet, ebony, essence, sister2sister, upscale & tv one...to those outlets atlanta is all you see & read about in them sometimes dc & chicago get a lil love sometimes. But 85 % of all great black people live or strive in atlanta according to them. Ok zombie?
smh

Old 12-01-2011, 04:34 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Definitely agree. Every time I visit Atlanta all I can say to myself is, "Seriously? That city is like a 24/7 rap video.

I'd be much more proud of Atlanta as a black "mecca" if it were known more for the Esparanza Spalding, Cornel West and Nikki Giovanni types, or haute black culture, so to speak. Instead it's known for Travis Porter.

For "high" black culture, I think New York and DC are a good ways ahead of Atlanta.
Shorter version of the above: DC and NYC doesn't have a hood element it is known for that sometimes gets in the way of their great black residents and that's all there is to Atlanta.

You know very well that is not the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta