Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 06:38 PM

6,514 posts, read 7,507,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
What about the winter before when everyone was stuck in there house and couldnt go no where because of snow and ice.. How about its still november and last nights temps were down to 28 degrees....

Its fair to say Atlanta has a real winter here and there.. some are worse than others
Winter is specific to place and subjective to its residents. Is there anything like a Minnesota winter in Georgia? No. Not by a long shot. Would I consider that hellish ice storm the other year winter? Absolutely.

I think anytime it gets cold in a particular season, that could be considered 'winter.' I'm confusing myself more just thinking about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 06:43 PM

3,655 posts, read 3,897,785 times
Atlanta can get cold at night because it's 1100 feet above sea level, and because it lies at the base of the Appalachian mountain range which shield the mid-Atlantic from cold air blasts (but also sometimes locks in the cold for extended periods), there is nothing to block occasional severe blasts of cold air coming down from the Midwest.

Atlanta's southern latitude does enable a quick warmup though.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:55 AM

254 posts, read 416,750 times
I hope we do get some snow.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:58 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,886,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Winter is specific to place and subjective to its residents. Is there anything like a Minnesota winter in Georgia? No. Not by a long shot. Would I consider that hellish ice storm the other year winter? Absolutely.

I think anytime it gets cold in a particular season, that could be considered 'winter.' I'm confusing myself more just thinking about it.

There are harsh winters and there are mild winters . To be considered a real winter is subjective to whoever puts there on definition to the word winter..

Old 11-27-2012, 03:02 PM

10,729 posts, read 13,261,500 times
Well, it's 55 F and sorta misty in Midtown today. To me, that's winter.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:07 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,886,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post

Its supposed to get down to 36 degrees tonight and in the morning.. I guess thats fall weather ifs getting to be 36 degrees now what will it be come January.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:21 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,081,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
There are harsh winters and there are mild winters . To be considered a real winter is subjective to whoever puts there on definition to the word winter..
No, "real" winter means the stereotypical elements of the season. Snow...ice...consistent low temperatures such that the snow and ice don't go until spring. That ain't Atlanta. When Atlanta gets hit by snow, in a day or two, it's gone.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:00 PM

563 posts, read 2,765,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Before I left Atlanta, I used to think that was cold...then I moved to the mid-Atlantic. It was 39 degrees and raining yesterday. If it hits 55 up here in the wintertime, the weather forecasters call it a mild day.

While it does get really cold at night in Atlanta...it really does warm up during the day. IMO, the winters in Atlanta are quite mild when compared to other parts of the country.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:50 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,968,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoveDiva View Post
Before I left Atlanta, I used to think that was cold...then I moved to the mid-Atlantic. It was 39 degrees and raining yesterday. If it hits 55 up here in the wintertime, the weather forecasters call it a mild day.

While it does get really cold at night in Atlanta...it really does warm up during the day. IMO, the winters in Atlanta are quite mild when compared to other parts of the country.
This, to me, is a normal northern Minnesota winter (Esko, MN, late December, temperature in the single digits F). That snow didn't go away for a few months, I suspect. Notice the packed snow on the road ... it ain't going anywhere.

This looks like winter in many ways, and the 5" of snow we had stuck around for a few days in this case, but the difference in overall weather is actually fairly large (Mableton, GA, January 2011, temp in the high 20's F).

The second scene is more typical for a late fall or early spring in the upper midwest.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:50 PM

20 posts, read 40,101 times
This thread hasn't been updated in over a year, but I'm going to comment anyway.

First of all, to say that Atlanta doesn't have a real winter is, well, true and false. Average highs for January are around 50 and lows about 30-35, so it is far more mild than cities further north. Snow is rare, but rain and sometimes sleet is abundant. Having a Humid-subtropical climate just means that the average winter temperature is right at or above 32 degrees Fahrenheit (0 Celsius). Avg temp for a day in January is 43, which is pretty darn nippy!

BUT..., we just recovered from having highs in the teens and lows close to zero on Monday and Tuesday. This is downright arctic for us! Luckily it's back in the 40s for highs and mid 30s for lows, but we could very well have another cold spell before this winter's over.

While it almost never gets that bad, a typical winter morning consists of me scraping the frost off of my car and heating it up for 10 minutes. What Northerners fail to understand is that Atlanta is higher elevation than most other Southern cities. I can't stand wearing gloves and being a Kansas City native, I can get away without wearing them most winter mornings in GA.

So, yeah, Atlanta has real winters. Very mild winters, but cold compared to Gulf Coast cities and Florida.

Last edited by maddux0817; 01-09-2014 at 11:53 PM.. Reason: More text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta