Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2011, 10:44 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times

Advertisements

Ok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 10:47 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
So? Whose expanding their light rail when all the nimbys in Atlanta keep preventing any expansion of Marta. Guess who has more freeways? It's not Atlanta.
Do you REALLY want to turn this into a pissing match between Atlanta and Houston? I can guarantee you that this will end badly, and that Houston will fail miserably.

And the thread will be shut down.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:48 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!

This is the most ridiculous argument ever! There are a handful of cities that can claim to be better than Atlanta (San Diego, New York, maybe a few others), but Houston? HOUSTON? What a dump that city is!!!!

Near the beach? That's a laugh. Galveston is disgusting. The closest decent beach to Houston is South Padre Island, and it's further away than the panhandle of Florida is for us. Plus it's not nearly as nice.

NASA in Houston barely does anything except ground control for missions. The NASA in Florida does more. The NASA in Huntsville does even more than that. But everybody really knows that the true economic powerhouses are not NASA at all but private contractors like JPL.

I have lived in a lot of places. Some are good, some not so good. Houston is bar none the worst place I have ever lived. It's like they took a gigantic area and just paved it. And the Galleria? You know what a Galleria is, don't you? It's just a mall that is built after the original Galleria in Venice. Birmingham has one. And it's nicer than Houston's.

I would entertain "my city is better than yours" arguments from a lot of cities. Houston, though, is not one of them. In fact, most cities have fans and detractors, but I've never met anybody from Houston before who even tries to defend it. To each his own, but Houston, Texas is a laughable comparison to Atlanta.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:55 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,093,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Do you REALLY want to turn this into a pissing match between Atlanta and Houston? I can guarantee you that this will end badly, and that Houston will fail miserably.

And the thread will be shut down.
Obviously it's not productive to start an argument like this, but sometimes I can't help it since there's a mentality soo pervasive in Atlanta which many locals have thinking their city is the best in the country or the world just because it has a large airport and is a entertainment mecca for terrible modern day hip hop music, if you can even call it actual hip hop.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:00 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
...anyhoo...

No city needs an Atlantic Station. Sunbelt cities need something much better than AS. If you ask me, they had the opportunity to do something much better, but they dropped the ball. You can't expect an urbanist to take any development that includes a Target and an Ikea in it seriously.

Glorified lifestyle center.

Oh, and Houston says "hi".

Old 12-15-2011, 11:00 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
You are so missing the point.

Atlanta is a good place to live DESPITE being a mecca for awful hip hop, not BECAUSE of it.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:05 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,093,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

Atlanta is a good place to live DESPITE being a mecca for awful hip hop, not BECAUSE of it.
I agree with you, there are many desirable places in Atlanta I'd rather call home then Houston has. Inman/Candler Park, the neighborhood south of I-20 on Moreland and Glenwood, the Highlands, Ansley Park, but as far as the suburbs go, I'd take Houston's suburbs over Atlanta's.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:15 AM

864 posts, read 1,122,937 times
Quote:
Houston is in another league, it'll take Atlanta 20 years to even come close to present day Houston.

People don't feed the troll. I knew something was up with guy.

The Atlanta bashers can't stand the fact Atlabta posters aren't in City vs City much anymore do they come here trolling. You can't get more obvious then this.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:16 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

Our hip hop is better than Houston. Outkast>>>>>Houston hip Hop

Say what u want about the music industry but it brings in $604 million, over 5000 jobs and tax revenue over $40 million annually to our state

Old 12-15-2011, 11:18 AM

864 posts, read 1,122,937 times
Quote:
Are you implying that you can live in Atlanta without a car? Better entertainment? Please, and yeah Houston is more humid, but it's near the beach too. You consider Marta heavy rail? It's a subway system, not a high speed rail system. Sorry that poor old Houston is too close to sea level to put in a subway system, but is that why they're investing in light rail? Who's the more powerful economic powerhouse? Where's NASA in Atlanta?

Oh and that 30 year old subway system that hasn't been updated since it was originally built, come on, Houston will clean its clocks when it starts going with its light rail expansions, high speed Texas Triangle train corridor, is a major financial center, major industrial center, major energy center.
Trololol. This guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta