Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 06:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,221 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My name is Kisha. I am new to the forum and am looking for whatever information I can find. I will be a single mother of seven kids (ages from 16-1) moving from Maryland to Georgia. I am currently employed with the USPS but I am not sure if there will be an opening me in Georgia, so employment maybe up in the air.

I am so overwhelmed. Deciding to make this move has been a back and forth decision, but I have made up my mind, we are Georgia bound (Conyers area). My mother, sister, and uncles have all left me or have decided to move within the next few months. They are my biggest support system. So I have decided to make the move as well. But I just dont know where to start. Funds are limited so hiring someone to do all the leg work for me is just out of the question.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start? Books to read? Resources that I should know about?

Anything that you can share would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you

Kisha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 06:44 AM

2 posts, read 2,221 times
1. Budget - I have no clue
2. House/Condo/Townhome? - house would be ideal (renting)
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - trying to stay with USPS but if not would love to work from home
4. Children(public school vs. private) - public
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - mix of the two
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - we have a car
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:57 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDmomof7toGA View Post
Hello,

My name is Kisha. I am new to the forum and am looking for whatever information I can find. I will be a single mother of seven kids (ages from 16-1) moving from Maryland to Georgia. I am currently employed with the USPS but I am not sure if there will be an opening me in Georgia, so employment maybe up in the air.

I am so overwhelmed. Deciding to make this move has been a back and forth decision, but I have made up my mind, we are Georgia bound (Conyers area). My mother, sister, and uncles have all left me or have decided to move within the next few months. They are my biggest support system. So I have decided to make the move as well. But I just dont know where to start. Funds are limited so hiring someone to do all the leg work for me is just out of the question.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start? Books to read? Resources that I should know about?

Anything that you can share would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you

Kisha
Search for rental homes at www.craigslist.com for a house to rent in the Conyers area. Also, if you know a realtor, then he or she can help you search for a house to rent as well. In addition, go to www.rent.com to search for homes in the Conyers area as well.

As far as jobs go, I am not to sure about USPS but I am sure something is available. Just go to their website and check USPS Employees.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:48 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,816,242 times
I have a couple cousins here in metro Atlanta who work for the USPS and really I wouldn't bet on getting a job with them any time soon as they are doing big cut backs due to limited budgets. Honestly, in your position, I probably would not move since you have a stable position and the employment situation here in metro Atlanta is not all that great. But I can understand your desire to be close to family.

I know when I move I prepare by tossing things that I don't need. Clothes the kids have outgrown, books I don't read, furniture I don't need. I make a pile and donate these items (ones that aren't too beat up) to charities like Goodwill or Salvation Army. Many charities will come and pick up donated items for you, especially large items like furniture. I am guessing some of your kids are older. I would employ their help with the move and have them go through their items as well.

I would get my packing material and look into transporting my items. I am leary of moving companies as one lost a whole truckload of my items in the past so I always ask relatives to assist me with driving a rental truck (usually I don't use U-Haul because they are a horrible company IMO) cross country. I label my items very well. I make a schedule and include all of the items on a list/spreadsheet that I print out so that things will go smoothly. For the younger kids, I would probably send them to GA ahead of time and go back and move the household/personal items since for me it is easier to move without having to look after small children.

I wish you luck on your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: