Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 05:35 PM

22 posts, read 35,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
OP should probably just do some driving and see how the areas seem to him/her.
That's my plan for this weekend, or maybe next. I definitely need to get the vibe in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg24 View Post
Check out this place on .75 acres in Ormewood Park/East Atlanta -- I only know of it because we bought the house next door and are fixing it up currently, and went inside this one the other day. This house needs a lot of work but has TONS of original features. It was probably one of the best houses on Moreland in its prime -- and its on a triple lot.

935 Moreland Ave SE, Atlanta, GA 30316 MLS# 03154403 - Zillow
Heh - I've looked at that place (online) 2 separate times. From the photos it looks like a real hazard inside! But also looks basically untouched for the last 40+ years and it's all original, as you said. The lot is nice, and the curb appeal (once cleaned up) would be great - that rock wall and all. I'm not sure if I'm ready for that much work - I don't mind doing things myself but when it gets to expenses like replacing plumbing, electrical, heating, cooling, replacing roofs, bringing fireplaces up to code etc, I don't have a pile of cash to throw at anything...would need something I can live in (and work in) while I tackle smaller projects. But I agree - that house is pretty sweet and would be a great project for the right person. And congrats on your purchase!

Old 12-07-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW30303 View Post
I would look at Hapeville / East Point based on what you describe. When you drive around, you will get a better idea. Happy house hunting!
I think you're right - definitely need to get down there, do some tooling around, take a few walks around. Thank you.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:54 PM

Someone left a "reputation comment" on this topic, which I cannot seem to reply to directly, so will reply here. The comment was:
"hello. why did you move here? we just moved from portland as well and are miserable. i'm already lining up a transfer back. the crime and the religion and the politics here are unsufferable."
I moved here because I work from home (telecommute) and can live just about anywhere. My pockets are not deep and wanted to buy a house, which for a single middle-class person is impossible in Portland (unless you want a 1BR/1BA 500sf shack of house on the wrong side of 82nd Ave - for the same price as what you'd get 4 times more land and living space here). I don't necessarily agree with your comment about crime - I have not been a victim of, nor a witness to, any criminal activity since moving here. As far as religion and politics, well, you have a choice as to who you associate with and who you vote for. I also have immediate family here so it was an easy move. The suburbs north of the city as nearly as beautiful as the Oregon countryside, though I'm sure I'll hate the summer humidity, but there are trade-offs no matter where you live unless you can afford summer & winter homes. Now go back to Portland you leftie pinko! Hah - just joshing - I'm sort of a fish out of water here too, but am making the best of it.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:01 PM

Well folks, thank you all for your suggestions, and after a number of trips around town, well as looking at scores of places online and in person, I'm staying put in Acworth. Made an offer on a house and it was accepted, contingent on all the usual stuff. Not the bungalow of my dreams, but a reasonable facsimile thereof, all remodeled last year, with some land to boot. If all goes well, I'll have keys in hand by mid-Feb. My first home - at the age of [cough cough]!

Old 01-14-2012, 07:14 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJ67 View Post
Well folks, thank you all for your suggestions, and after a number of trips around town, well as looking at scores of places online and in person, I'm staying put in Acworth. Made an offer on a house and it was accepted, contingent on all the usual stuff. Not the bungalow of my dreams, but a reasonable facsimile thereof, all remodeled last year, with some land to boot. If all goes well, I'll have keys in hand by mid-Feb. My first home - at the age of [cough cough]!
Welcome to Georgia! There are always those who move from out of state and can't handle the change, but you are very right about being able to choose who to asscoiate with. Most of us are very friendly, and much more diverse than we get credit for. Generally, I'm of the opinion that those who are so unhappy have two problems. First, they come with preconceptions of the place that effect their experiences, and second, their attitude makes it very hard for them to make any friends since the locals can spot it a mile away. Glad you found a spot in Acworth, but let me know if you ever want a good tour of Rome from a local!

Old 01-14-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Welcome to Georgia! There are always those who move from out of state and can't handle the change, but you are very right about being able to choose who to asscoiate with. Most of us are very friendly, and much more diverse than we get credit for. Generally, I'm of the opinion that those who are so unhappy have two problems. First, they come with preconceptions of the place that effect their experiences, and second, their attitude makes it very hard for them to make any friends since the locals can spot it a mile away. Glad you found a spot in Acworth, but let me know if you ever want a good tour of Rome from a local!
Thank you G'frog! It really is a beautiful state if one gets out & about, and in close proximity to a lot of cool things both natural and man-made. Over new year's I went up to Cave City KY and slept at the Wigwam Village motel, and this coming summer I plan to head to Kiawah Island SC for the first time since I was a little kid - - not to mention plenty to do & see in GA proper. I have always been "from out of state" no matter where I've lived so am used to being spotted as a non-local - but that's part of the fun! You're right - come with an open mind and and friendly attitude and it's pretty easy to get along. I spent a long weekend day in Rome recently and loved it - roamed downtown, got semi-lost on side streets with lovely southern homes - you live in a great town! And who knows - I might take you up on that tour offer someday!
Best regards,
-Daniel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta