Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 09:11 AM

12 posts, read 41,245 times

Advertisements

How much is the gym membership and what have been your experiences with that particular gym?

I have a gym at my university but since I commute, I am always ready to go back home and would like to workout in an area close to my home.

I am trying to research all of these gyms and see about their prices but everyone seems to hide it, and I do not feel like calling these mofo's and have them try to drag my credit card number and all of that just to ask a question about the pricing.

So how do you all feel about Gold's Gym, LaFitness, Bally's etc?

Old 12-11-2011, 09:39 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,305,662 times
Why dont you tell us what gyms are close to you. Or are you planning on traveling if need be to a gym?

I would think you would find every gym within say 15min/mi and pick from those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 10:20 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,754,033 times
I think LA Fitness is somewhere around $35 per month - I joined LA Fitness many years ago and pay much less based on deals that were offered at that time. I pay for the whole year and not monthly.

LA Fitness also has two types of plans. One where you can go to any gym and one where you are restricted to one location. That can affect the price.

I have been totally satisified with LA Fitness. The machines are almost always working (they are never down for any significant period), the place is kept clean.

I have no complaints. There are gyms that offer much more services but nothing that I need or willing to pay more for.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:32 AM

3,229 posts, read 6,264,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ada.junila View Post

So how do you all feel about Gold's Gym, LaFitness, Bally's etc?
I despise the slimeball sales tactics of those overcrowded corporate chain gyms. Look at Ripoff Report for numerous horror stories about those places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada.junila View Post

And what are some cheap gyms in your opinion in the cobb county area?
Coffee's Gym. This is a true hardcore warrior's gym!

Coffee's Gym Marietta GA

Old 12-11-2011, 09:26 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,516,749 times
I've been thinking about trying out the Snap Fitness down the street from my house. A 24 hour gym would be pretty convenient with my schedule right now. I could also join GSU's Fitness Center(Alum, alumni? wtf ever) which has pretty much everything but then I'd have to deal with going downtown every time I wanted to work out. Also I don't need all the fancy stuff like raquetball court, sauna, etc. A pool would be nice though.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:36 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,240,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
I despise the slimeball sales tactics of those overcrowded corporate chain gyms. Look at Ripoff Report for numerous horror stories about those places.

Coffee's Gym. This is a true hardcore warrior's gym!

Coffee's Gym Marietta GA

LOL, but your name is capoeira. DUH!

BTW, I love watching Capoeira. Could never do it because I just run a lot. But it's gorgeous stuff.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:08 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,355,344 times
Before you sign an agreement with any gym, read the contract thoroughly!

Every gym I have dealt with requires a commitment of at least a year, whether you use their services or not. There are stiff penalties for backing out early and for non-payment. This won't matter to you if you truly use the gym on a regular basis. But if you get 1 month in to your new workout regime and lose interest, you will still have to pay for the remaining time on your contract even if you never go.

Most contracts also require a certain number of days notice for cancellation, even after the commitment period has expired.

Make sure you understand what is in the contract before you agree.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:54 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,760,580 times
I was a member of LA Fitness for nearly two years because they were the only gym near me that offers childcare. Mine was 29.99 per month, this included childcare. They will basically offer you a much higher amount though. They first offered me $50 per month (insert eyeroll) with an extra $10 for childcare. I told them what I was willing to pay ($30) and that if they couldn't give me what I wanted I would go to Bally's. They gave me the price I asked for.

A friend of mine goes to Snap Fitness and he pays $29.99 per month. Both Snap and LA Fitness offer a "no-contract" pay as you go plan. I recently cancelled my LA Fitness membership since I have not been able to go as much as I like. It was no problem to cancel at all. I also enjoyed my time there. I mostly went to the Atlantic Station location. They have 2 hours free parking so I was satisfied.

Really though, if you are a resident of the city of Atlanta, you should join the city rec centers. Before going to LA Fitness I joined the rec centers. It was $90 for the whole year which is a great price. I saw recently it was increased to I think $110 or $120 but still that is not bad. They have pools and they have weights and treadmills, ellipticals, bikes, and most other fitness equipment. I mostly went to the Washington Park natatorium until someone broke into it and messed it up then I had to go to Adamsville where they told me I couldn't bring my baby who was sitting in a stroller while I worked out so then I joined LA Fitness. I am considering joining the rec center again though since it is so inexpensive and my baby is now a preschooler so she can take swimming lessons while I work out.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:55 AM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,721,883 times
WE joined the YMCA, $61/couple/mo. We got a referral from another member (all members periodically get referral emails), otherwise I believe the regular fee was $75/couple/mo. I believe these rates have increased by $5 recently. There is also a one-time $99 membership fee that is good for the rest of your life. You can also use your membership at any YMCA in the world.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:12 AM

14 posts, read 29,524 times
FYI... For anyone considering Bally's, it is now official that LA Fitness has bought out all the Bally's in the Atlanta area and will be converting them to LA Fitness, the one exception being the Northlake Bally's which will be closing due to an LA Fitness located just down the street from it. In the long run this will probably mean higher prices for gym goers since Bally's was always LA Fitness's main competitor, but the existing Bally's will most likely get upgraded with new equipment and be kept up better.

Anyways, For the month of December existing Bally's members can go to any LA Fitness but with the beginning of the new year they will have to pay extra for this priviledge. (Not sure exactly how much extra!!!!) Bally's members can continue going to all existing Bally's + the Northlake LA Fitness with their existing membership however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: