Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 08:44 PM

9 posts, read 31,561 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all so much for your suggestions. We are planning another trip down to explore some more. For those who seem upset with my posting, it was not my intent. I am not trying to disrespect your state. I have alot of family in GA (Duluth, Dunwoody, Fayetteville, Loganville, and Grayson)and have been there more times than I can count during the last 20 years so I think Im pretty qualified to make an observation about the changes I saw. Which, by the way, Im pretty confident having been there for 2 decades. I also have lived in NY my entire life and feel I am pretty qualified to state that yes it is wonderfully diverse. Diversity was never my issue here. It is also a place where people are guilty of being very busy and rushed but I cant remember the last time someone was rude to me. Dont think the rudeness I experienced last weekend had much to do with GA transplants... interesting thought though???? I do think Dacula is a lovely area as well, just not what Im looking for anymore. I dont want to move again in 3-5 years. I still have school age kids and wouldnt want to move them to another area and change schools again unnecessarily. So, I think I will just continue to explore and hopefully find what feels right. If not, GA will continue to be a wonderful place to visit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 08:59 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,802,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWagner View Post
The area around Buford Highway to Peachtree Industrial is slowly being bought up and transformed into high Chinese population area. A developer has been buying up and rezoning property even parks for a tourist area similar to Chinatown in San Francisco. This has been a ongoing project that I don't hear a whole lot about anymore. They were pretty serious about it a couple of years ago.
I think you're talking about the "International Village at Chamblee" which does seem to be going at a snail's pace... but they still have a web site on it.

The main page: International Village at Chamblee
There is a PDF document you can download to see the plans for it all and everything (broadband needed - 7 pages).

Old 08-30-2007, 09:46 PM

663 posts, read 1,859,072 times
To the OP,

That's the way it is in any big city (or metro area in this case). People in general are friendly when they want something from you. As a New Yorker you should know this very well. Also, people not making eye contact? That's the status quo in the northeast. You might as well not even exist up there. Unless you're a good-looking woman, but that falls under the "people (men) want something from you" category.

If you were from Iowa, I wouldn't be surprised at your complaints. But you really don't sound like a jaded New Yorker. Or you're really a sheltered resident of Mahopac or somewhere.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:18 PM

697 posts, read 3,012,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I think you're talking about the "International Village at Chamblee" which does seem to be going at a snail's pace... but they still have a web site on it.

The main page: International Village at Chamblee
There is a PDF document you can download to see the plans for it all and everything (broadband needed - 7 pages).
Actually, International Village is only designed as a 30 acre development, was sort of sponsored by DeKalb County, and is in Chamblee, not where Bill described.

I suspect he was referring to the development plans for an "Asian Village" near Peachtree Industrial. I won't subject you to the link for the development itself -- it's a textbook example of what not to do on the web. Google a bit and you'll probably find it if you're that curious.

Current status, as far as I can tell, is that the Gwinnett County commission has tabled the rezoning proposal again, delaying construction at least until this fall.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:01 AM

145 posts, read 337,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
Whether you are into diversity or not, this is the demographic future of the United States, not just Georgia, and it is something that is not going away anytime soon.
I understand that ...I welcome all cultures and hope that we can all live together and joyously celebrate eachother...however the language of this country is English...be grateful to the place that allowed you a better life and conform..otherwise stay in your country. I don't mean to start another crazy forum about this topic and I truly am open to other people but it just seems so disrespectful to live here and start a business with the main lettering in another language...

Old 09-04-2007, 06:37 AM

136 posts, read 477,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forresthills View Post
hey cl what part of the state did/do you live in? Its just the areas in/around atlanta that are on the rude side in my experience of living here.
I've lived in Fulton, Cobb, Cherokee and Bartow counties.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:49 AM

985 posts, read 5,746,465 times
"I understand that ...I welcome all cultures and hope that we can all live together and joyously celebrate eachother...however the language of this country is English...be grateful to the place that allowed you a better life and conform..otherwise stay in your country. I don't mean to start another crazy forum about this topic and I truly am open to other people but it just seems so disrespectful to live here and start a business with the main lettering in another language..."

I believe city of Duluth and several other cities (maybe Chamblee as well) already have ordinance that required businesses to have English sign along with other language sign for public safety reasons. But English only sign law is highly unlikely to be passed since that probably violates US constitution.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:22 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,011,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygabs View Post
I understand that ...I welcome all cultures and hope that we can all live together and joyously celebrate eachother...however the language of this country is English...be grateful to the place that allowed you a better life and conform..otherwise stay in your country. I don't mean to start another crazy forum about this topic and I truly am open to other people but it just seems so disrespectful to live here and start a business with the main lettering in another language...
When my grandfather was being raised in a small town in South Dakota, his family spoke German in the house, he and most of his friends spoke German outside of school (at least when they were younger), and I've been given to understand that many of the stores and such had signs written in German as well as English because so many other residents of his hometown spoke that language natively.

That sort of pattern wasn't uncommon at all among towns and settlers in the northern prairie states, many of whom came from Germany or Scandanavia.

Now, of course, the non-English languages are almost gone, and while there is still some pride and rememberance about the places folks' ancestors came from especially in places like New Ulm, most places are as typically American as you'd find anywhere else in the country.

I suspect you'll find that things will change with time, but it can sometimes take a lot of time.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:56 PM

481 posts, read 2,816,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
I think Metro ATlanta may not be the place for you -- it grows more diverse everyday. I can't think of an area where you won't find some diversity or anticipate diversity heading that way in the near future.

Even in Buckhead, the oldest established area, there are many, many Hispanics and Asians. Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, as well are growing more diverse each year.

Perhaps an enclave in East Cobb?
East Cobb isn't any less diverse than those other areas, especially the when you compare to suburban Sandy Springs and Buckhead - take the multi-family housing out of the question and Buckhead is like 90% or more white... it's true that there aren't many hispanics and blacks in East Cobb, but the southern part is 15% asian which is decent... there's a asian church on Old Canton and asian students are mostly responsible for Walton's high SAT average.... though the asians in East Cobb are american asians, not the immigrant types like in chamblee or the buford highway area...

Old 10-10-2007, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 6,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
I moved here from NY 14 years ago. I remember it as being much friendlier back then. I was just in NY a few weeks ago and I found that the people THERE were friendlier than here. How times have changed!
If you are looking for a nice area to live that has all of the conveniences but is not (yet) as mean as some of the Atlanta area has become, look in Marietta, Powder Springs, Kennesaw.
It also makes a difference how things seem to you depending on where you are coming from... coming from Brooklyn or Mount Kisco will have two completely different perspectives.
People in general dont care about manners no more you might get a hand full of people to be polite and considerate but usually when i hold a door they usually just give me a smile or a nod thats the response i get when being polite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta