Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 06:40 AM

249 posts, read 650,095 times

Advertisements

So funny to come across this thread.... just last night my hubby and I were wondering if we'd made a mistake moving here from NJ. Although leaving NJ we think was the right move, just having some mixed feeling if GA was the right place for us to land. Currently renting in Alpharetta and trying to figure out were to settle down. Yes homes are cheaper as are property taxes that's def a plus. We are thrilled about the many choices for private/christian /classical schools in the area as opposed to NJ, somewhat limited and very unaffordable. It just seems many of things we were trying to get aware from are more prevalent here and Im starting to have doubts...
1. Any home you buy/rent has a smart meter= RADIATION :-(
2. Had a hellish time trying to find a pediatrician that would see my daughter because we choose not to immunize only making me realize that NJ seemed to be more accepting of this mindset.
3. Even harder time finding a dentist that doesn't judge or refuse treating her because we are a fluoride free family and make us sign some crazy refusal form that states I am putting my child's health in danger by not using fluoride !
4. Cell towers every where you look = MORE RADIATION
5.the feeling of living in a police state - camera's EVERYWHERE at almost ever intersection ( somehwat disturbing I think)
6. ALLERIES !!!!! My husband and daughter have been a mess since we got here 2 1/2 months ago!
7. TRAFFIC - it's insane and speaks for itself..... folks from NJ TRUST ME WHEN I TELL YOU JERSEY HAS NOTHING ON GA when it comes to traffic !
8. Now I read an article that public schools will start giving parents fines and possible jail time for truency issues... 10 or more unexcused abscences, which having worked in the school system I can assure you unexcused simply means no doctor's note and seriously who takes their kid to the doctor for every little sniffle????? So that just gave me something to think about should we ever need to deal with the public school system.
so anyway just of the things I went to bed thinking about last night and now just left wondering was this the right move??????
What I do know is that when I wake up in the morning I am less stressed
when I go outside I take a deep breath and realize how pretty is is here and how the people are friendlier and I am totaling loving the weather :-)
So .... genuine concerns or am I just looking for Mayberry ?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 11:42 AM

248 posts, read 535,210 times
Default Thanks for the response!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkvidal View Post
So funny to come across this thread.... just last night my hubby and I were wondering if we'd made a mistake moving here from NJ. Although leaving NJ we think was the right move, just having some mixed feeling if GA was the right place for us to land. Currently renting in Alpharetta and trying to figure out were to settle down. Yes homes are cheaper as are property taxes that's def a plus. We are thrilled about the many choices for private/christian /classical schools in the area as opposed to NJ, somewhat limited and very unaffordable. It just seems many of things we were trying to get aware from are more prevalent here and Im starting to have doubts...
1. Any home you buy/rent has a smart meter= RADIATION :-(
2. Had a hellish time trying to find a pediatrician that would see my daughter because we choose not to immunize only making me realize that NJ seemed to be more accepting of this mindset.
3. Even harder time finding a dentist that doesn't judge or refuse treating her because we are a fluoride free family and make us sign some crazy refusal form that states I am putting my child's health in danger by not using fluoride !
5.the feeling of living in a police state - camera's EVERYWHERE at almost ever intersection ( somehwat disturbing I think)
6. ALLERIES !!!!! My husband and daughter have been a mess since we got here 2 1/2 months ago!
7. TRAFFIC - it's insane and speaks for itself..... folks from NJ TRUST ME WHEN I TELL YOU JERSEY HAS NOTHING ON GA when it comes to traffic !
8. Now I read an article that public schools will start giving parents fines and possible jail time for truency issues... 10 or more unexcused abscences, which having worked in the school system I can assure you unexcused simply means no doctor's note and seriously who takes their kid to the doctor for every little sniffle????? So that just gave me something to think about should we ever need to deal with the public school system.
so anyway just of the things I went to bed thinking about last night and now just left wondering was this the right move??????
What I do know is that when I wake up in the morning I am less stressed
when I go outside I take a deep breath and realize how pretty is is here and how the people are friendlier and I am totaling loving the weather :-)
So .... genuine concerns or am I just looking for Mayberry ?????

Wow, we have some things in common! My son is also not up to date on vaccines. We stopped after a terrible reaction at his 12 mo shots, so no MMR or boosters. He also doesn't use flouride. He's also gluten and casein free. Are these things not common down south??? In PA, we have the right to choose or refuse vaccinations. It's very common here for families who have kids with autism to not vaccinate, and not use flouride at the dentist. His teachers at school are used to the gfcf diet also. I did live in FL for 5 yrs, and for me, I love the warm weather and would like to go back down south again, but I have a lot to think about when it comes to my son. Unfortunately, I have to make a quick decision. BTW, I hear Brick, NJ is the best place for kiddos with ASD. But my husband hasn't been able to find a job there.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:48 PM

Funny Sak9210... my hubby was talking about maybe trying PA... we do like it there and not too far from NJ... Brick is nice, but right now NJ is rough place job wise. Don't get me wrong I like it here just starting to feel it is more of what we were looking to leave behind. Oh well... I am know that vaccines are a huge issue for some and I am a nurse so people are usually very stunned by the fact we choose not to immunize. Anywa thanks for sharing and it's so refreshing to read a positive like minded opinion instead of getting bashed and judged for our choices....

Old 12-20-2011, 05:14 PM

Default PA info

Quote:
Funny Sak9210... my hubby was talking about maybe trying PA... we do like it there and not too far from NJ... Brick is nice, but right now NJ is rough place job wise. Don't get me wrong I like it here just starting to feel it is more of what we were looking to leave behind. Oh well... I am know that vaccines are a huge issue for some and I am a nurse so people are usually very stunned by the fact we choose not to immunize. Anywa thanks for sharing and it's so refreshing to read a positive like minded opinion instead of getting bashed and judged for our choices....
Since you're thinking about PA, Bucks Co and Chester Co have awesome services. I'm in Chester Co, and my son goes to school in West Chester. We get Keystone Mercy with an autism diagnosis, so all of his doctor appts and therapies are free, not even a copay! And it doesn't matter how much money you make, or if you already have health insurance. I have met a couple of great doctors here who support me with either choosing not to vaccinate, or using a delayed vax schedule. It's very easy to get wrap around services, behavioral therapist, anything you need. But I'm in between Philly and Lancaster. Bucks Co is very close to NJ, and also have great schools! Now I'm wondering why the heck I'm leaving???!!! LOL!!! Anyway, my husband is an MRI tech and the job is at Piedmont hospital in Atlanta. Peachtree City looks nice, but I hear it's pretty far from Atlanta. Can you tell me what towns I should look into north of Atlanta? never heard of Sawannee (sp?), but I'll check it out,.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:29 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
I definitely wouldn't expect to get that level of care- free or not- here in GA. There's a reason that taxes are lower in the South, and part of it is that they don't offer the social services programs like you're talking about.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:57 PM

397 posts, read 843,135 times
Quote:
It just seems many of things we were trying to get aware from are more prevalent here and Im starting to have doubts...
1. Any home you buy/rent has a smart meter= RADIATION :-
Is this just not technology which will make it's way everywhere?
Quote:
I didn't know there was any proven advantage to not vaccinating
Quote:
3. Even harder time finding a dentist that doesn't judge or refuse treating her because we are a fluoride free family and make us sign some crazy refusal form that states I am putting my child's health in danger by not using fluoride !.
Yeah, mine actually want to use novocaine or some other pain killer before drilling - - kidding - Again, I never heard of any anti flouride benefits. I'm sure if I googled it, I'd find a few.
Quote:
Really? Some look like trees. Are you sure they are not trees?
NJ and PA will have the same amount of towers if you are getting good cell service
Quote:
They are not going away. They are cheap and raise money. Hey they even keep us safe sometimes.
Quote:
With the warm weather, more thing grow and bloom for longer periods of time. Try AZ. It's terrible.
Quote:
It's bad here. But it's bad in NJ, NY and PA too.
Quote:
8. Now I read an article that public schools will start giving parents fines So .... genuine concerns or am I just looking for Mayberry ?????
Maybe it will happen, maybe not. If your kid is not a truant there is nothing to worry about.

Oh, and obviously I think the good here far outweighs the bad.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:33 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,807,520 times
Agree with bdawk. There are probably more cell towers in NJ. Many people here do not vaccinate or use fluoride. Traffic is about the same as NJ. Of course all things depend on where you live/work. There are cameras in NJ, and several states fine for truancy. IMO, north GA has more positives than NJ.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:15 AM

Good points guys.... Like I said, I know leaving NJ was the RIGHT choice... its crazy there ! Over crowded, property taxes and home prices are out of control, very $$$$$ to live comfortably and well the state government is just out of control !
bdawk you are right... technology will just catch up with us where ever we go :-(
I def see a diff in my daughter who is non vaccinated and my friends kids who are. All I know is that my daughter was born at 3 pounds, spent 1 month in a NICU and well needless to say she is as healthy as an ox, never having more than a diaper rash once or twice and yes I do believe that part of that is because her immune system has been allowed to develop naturally and her body has never been invaded with toxins ( vaccine ingredients) but anyway..
Like I said, you all made some valid points and they are well taken... I think we are feeling little homesick and probably being away from the family during the holidays is not helping.
I like GA and I am glad we are here.... i am sure it will just take some time to adjust :-)

Old 12-21-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sak9210 View Post
Since you're thinking about PA, Bucks Co and Chester Co have awesome services. I'm in Chester Co, and my son goes to school in West Chester. We get Keystone Mercy with an autism diagnosis, so all of his doctor appts and therapies are free, not even a copay! And it doesn't matter how much money you make, or if you already have health insurance. I have met a couple of great doctors here who support me with either choosing not to vaccinate, or using a delayed vax schedule. It's very easy to get wrap around services, behavioral therapist, anything you need. But I'm in between Philly and Lancaster. Bucks Co is very close to NJ, and also have great schools! Now I'm wondering why the heck I'm leaving???!!! LOL!!! Anyway, my husband is an MRI tech and the job is at Piedmont hospital in Atlanta. Peachtree City looks nice, but I hear it's pretty far from Atlanta. Can you tell me what towns I should look into north of Atlanta? never heard of Sawannee (sp?), but I'll check it out,.
yes I do believe PTC is far south from the ATL, we are still exploring around but if he will work at Piedmont than yes you need to be close to his job, traffic can be brutal here... I think Dunwoody is very a nice family friendly place and I hear Vinnings is nice too, maybe Sandy Springs? I think you can prob get to piedmont pretty quickly from those places, maybe someone who knows the roads a little better can give some input?????
Definitely find out about the services you will need for your child.. I think that would be the most important in determining where you should live... maybe your hubby can apply at a different hospital if need be. There some nice hospitals in North GA as well.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:00 PM

I hear Fayette Co is the best for special needs kids. If someone knows of another school district that would be better, please let me know! Funny, looks like a lot of people from NJ end up in Suwanee. I wonder why? I'm sure I would like a lot of different areas, just concerned for my son. I don't want him to be put in an autistic support class, but he needs the extra help, and I'm hoping he could be mainstreamed into the regular public school classroom. And I couldn't afford a private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta