Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 09:34 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylzj View Post
Thanks Mattie and Tamlym, really encouraged. We planed to attend Milton high for the reason of not so many asian students. But we also want to try to apply to top private schools like Westminster/Pace/Lovett/Wesleyan, in wish my daughter can get best education from there. From the forum, it looks more graduates from these private schools go to ivy league than public schools, is it right?
In answer to your closing question, top private schools are quite selective. It would be extremely surprising if they didn't send more graduates to Ivy League colleges than even the best public schools, since public schools are obliged to educate every student in their attendance zone. When comparing universities attended by graduates of a public school and a highly selective private school, it would be more realistic to compare only the top X% of the public school's graduates with the private school's graduates. (How much is X? I don't know, and it would vary by school, I suppose. Maybe around 25%?)

That said, I went looking on Westminster's web site and found a list of universities attended by graduates. It's on this page: Westminster: About Us » Facts & Figures
There are some impressive schools there, but on the other hand, the individual school attended by the largest number of graduates is far and away the University of Georgia. It's a respectable university, but needless to say, a public school will do fine for getting your kid into UGA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 02:55 AM

11 posts, read 29,729 times
Tamlym, gald to know you are Chinese, and Mrpanda?

The reason I choose Milton as the first is from reviews of greatschool, it is said that Milton teachers pay attention and help struggling students very much, my daughter definitely will struggle for english at the first beginning, maybe months or years long, and I also have seen some bad words to Northview and others.

Maybe you are correct, Milton is too rural to my family, especially, my wife's english is poor,(I am better, but still poor, hehe). We are new immigration from China. In a community with some Chinese will help us to adapt new enviroment, Johns Creek and Alpharetta maybe better to us, near Asian market will be much convenient.

I have never thought about Lambert HS, from schooldigger, It ranked higher than Northview and Walton, which has the best reputation. I will put it on my list.

Tamlym, your experience is so interesting, it is one of my concern about my daughter, but in opposite, I think maybe some new Chinese friends will help her to get used to her new life. My wife's idea is a school with some Chinese but not too many as Northview, from this view, maybe Johns Creek/Chatahoochee/Walton is the best? Embarrassing!

Old 12-19-2011, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
In answer to your closing question, top private schools are quite selective. It would be extremely surprising if they didn't send more graduates to Ivy League colleges than even the best public schools, since public schools are obliged to educate every student in their attendance zone. When comparing universities attended by graduates of a public school and a highly selective private school, it would be more realistic to compare only the top X% of the public school's graduates with the private school's graduates. (How much is X? I don't know, and it would vary by school, I suppose. Maybe around 25%?)

That said, I went looking on Westminster's web site and found a list of universities attended by graduates. It's on this page: Westminster: About Us » Facts & Figures
There are some impressive schools there, but on the other hand, the individual school attended by the largest number of graduates is far and away the University of Georgia. It's a respectable university, but needless to say, a public school will do fine for getting your kid into UGA.
Thanks Rainyrainyday, what about the situation of best high schools like Northview? Are there some graduaters go to top colleges every year? How is the qty?

Old 12-19-2011, 08:44 AM

183 posts, read 353,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylzj View Post
The reason I choose Milton as the first is from reviews of greatschool, it is said that Milton teachers pay attention and help struggling students very much, my daughter definitely will struggle for english at the first beginning, maybe months or years long,

Hi johnnylzj

Are you moving here with a daughter ENTERING 8th grade? If yes, keep in mind she will change school once she enters 9th grade. Depending on where you live, she may lose her new friends if her middle school breaks off into two high schools (so make sure you check the middle AND high school districts during your house search)...

As new Chinese immigrants, you will "feel" more at home in Alpharetta and Johns Creek I think. Almost all CHinese we meet here are Mandarin speakers. Unfortunately, we speak Cantonese.

I have heard from my daughter that there are MANY Korean families that come here for work purposes, and their kids enter middle school without much English, but do well anyways, so I wouldn't worry about your daughter learning English. Kids learn fast.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 12-19-2011, 09:41 AM

418 posts, read 906,723 times
I would caution you to base your housing decision on the reviews and test scores of the public schools. We made that mistake last year and will be putting our son into private school.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeinBoston View Post
I would caution you to base your housing decision on the reviews and test scores of the public schools. We made that mistake last year and will be putting our son into private school.
Wannsbeinboston
What is the mistake? Do you mean the reviews and test score are just untrue?

Old 12-19-2011, 04:55 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeinBoston View Post
Are you living in Midtown? As in, APS schools?

We can confirm that the teachers at Milton are incredible when it comes to responding to parents. An email during the day never failed to get a call after school hours. One son had a learning disability, and his support was beyond reproach.

But, OP, if your daughter is not reasonably fluent in English, the size of schools in GA may make it hard for her to acclimate. In that case, private may be a better option, at least initially.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:51 PM

528 posts, read 1,284,391 times
I know that Sharon Elementary which is one of the elementary schools in the Lambert cluster does not support students who don't speak english. My daughter's class had a boy in it at the beginning of the year that had to go to a different school. You should make sure your school district can support ESL.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:38 PM

Livinginbuffalo, Have sent email to Northwestern middle school to ask if they have ESL. It is important.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:08 PM

418 posts, read 906,723 times
Yes, we WERE at at APS elementary school that was just named a GA School of Excellence, one of 26 I understand. Our experience was horrible. No effort to communicate by the class room teacher (we were kept at bay after numerous attempts to gain insight into what was being taught), the homework made absolutely no sense, ie. there was no particular linkage in progression of materials being introduced. Others in the neigborhood rave about it but perhaps it's perspective as we have a basis of comparison moving here from somewhere else. We struggled with pulling our child given the friendships formed there but it clearly underwhelmed our expectations given it's reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta