Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 05:49 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,523,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongirl View Post
Thanks again for the info. Still leaning towards renting the one in Saddle Ridge--trying to decide now though whether renting or buying is the best choice. We are all very excited about the move!
Best of luck! Feel free to send me a direct message for any specific information about the area or schools should you go the Saddle Ridge route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 07:13 AM

37 posts, read 85,342 times
Having an extremely gifted kid, I can not say enough about Shallowford Falls Elementary. The smaller size makes it ideal for smart kids to be noticed and shine. The Target program is good but the regular teachers have been really great with giving my son extra things to do as well. Even the principal and other teachers that have not had him all know his name. We were recommended by Professionals that he needed to be at Walker School but we could not pay that tuition. We choose to try Shallowford Falls and have been very happy with it.

I think Murdock is good but Mt Bethel is way too big. Timber Ridge would be nice and small too.

We are still in elementary so not in the middle and High yet but personally I would not send my kid to Walton "Anxiety High" even though it is excellent academically. I feel that the atmosphere at Lassiter and Pope is less "rich kid". Just my opinion from living here and knowing teachers who have taught at both.

Yes commute is an issue of course but everywhere in Atlanta has that problem. We looked at it when we moved here from Chicago that DH is commuting no matter what but I am the SAHM and will be in the neighborhood and schools daily and that atmosphere was more important than an extra 15 minutes.

Good Luck

Old 07-14-2012, 08:43 AM

550 posts, read 988,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curacao08 View Post
Having an extremely gifted kid, I can not say enough about Shallowford Falls Elementary. The smaller size makes it ideal for smart kids to be noticed and shine. The Target program is good but the regular teachers have been really great with giving my son extra things to do as well. Even the principal and other teachers that have not had him all know his name. We were recommended by Professionals that he needed to be at Walker School but we could not pay that tuition. We choose to try Shallowford Falls and have been very happy with it.

I think Murdock is good but Mt Bethel is way too big. Timber Ridge would be nice and small too.

We are still in elementary so not in the middle and High yet but personally I would not send my kid to Walton "Anxiety High" even though it is excellent academically. I feel that the atmosphere at Lassiter and Pope is less "rich kid". Just my opinion from living here and knowing teachers who have taught at both.

Yes commute is an issue of course but everywhere in Atlanta has that problem. We looked at it when we moved here from Chicago that DH is commuting no matter what but I am the SAHM and will be in the neighborhood and schools daily and that atmosphere was more important than an extra 15 minutes.

Good Luck
Thanks for the info., I hope it is useful to a future poster. That is really great the classroom teachers have been good at meeting your son's needs, esp. because I just don't think a one day pull-out is sufficient. I am hopeful my youngest will have teachers willing to do the same. We ended up in Timber Ridge/Dodgen/Walton. I also spoke to teachers/parents/students at Walton, and while I understand the concerns, I think there is more to it than the stereotype. Timber Ridge was a good transition for my dd who finished 5th grade there when we moved in March and is skipping 6th to be a 7th grader at Dodgen. Mt. Bethel is big, but we have still been happy with it. My son with special needs is at Mt. Bethel. We will see how my youngest does at Timber Ridge when she starts kindy next month! I am very happy so far with what I have seen and heard from other parents. I totally agree with your last paragraph--I love having everything we need so close!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: