Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 07:26 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,618 times

Advertisements

If the economy doesn't get better soon and the unemployment benefits aren't extended, we may be hearing more and more stories like these...

Man moves into empty home, lives rent and mortgage free | www.wsbtv.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 08:23 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
If the economy doesn't get better soon and the unemployment benefits aren't extended, we may be hearing more and more stories like these...

Yes I USED to be friends with him for over 10 years since college.He is a conspiracy theorist type person.
He also is a Real Estate agent(license maybe expired by now).He;s a smart guy but is very volatile.If you dont believe the way he feels you should ,then in his mind you are just too stupid. I stopped being friends with him because of this attitude.He is skirting the law but its a hassle.He feels like he is just playing the same game that the movers and shakers of the world play.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:28 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post

Yep, and one of them may be me. I'm at least going to have to stop paying my own mortgage. I hate my house anyway, as its where I lived with my now ex-wife. Yet, I'm stuck in a house worth less than I paid for it 9 years ago and unemployed. Wonderful. Happy Holidays.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:38 PM

876 posts, read 2,278,549 times
There have been some other stories like these in Georgia, but I doubt in time any of the squatters will keep their "free" house. I think it has been going on in different states recently, just forget which ones, Texas comes to mind for one.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:14 PM

651 posts, read 1,562,757 times
the mans, real facebook page.
Adverse Possession Services - Education - Douglasville, GA | Facebook

its already happening across the country..

here is another guy doing it in TX

Buying A House For 16 Dollars - YouTube

Old 12-22-2011, 03:10 PM

258 posts, read 534,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Yep, and one of them may be me. I'm at least going to have to stop paying my own mortgage. I hate my house anyway, as its where I lived with my now ex-wife. Yet, I'm stuck in a house worth less than I paid for it 9 years ago and unemployed. Wonderful. Happy Holidays.
If ur house is worth less now than it was 9 years ago, how can that be?? Was it the beginning of the housing bubble?

Old 12-22-2011, 03:59 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adio View Post
If ur house is worth less now than it was 9 years ago, how can that be?? Was it the beginning of the housing bubble?
My parents house is worth a bit less than what they paid for it in '91. They live in Snellville and they built tons of empty McMansions nearby that are causing the area to tank. Unfortunately for them...the house is paid off so walking away would only have downside.

As for the squatters...they're still squatters. Gutsy move in Texas...I'm sure a neighbor will "catch" the guy burglarizing a home and put 2-3 shotgun blasts in his back. Banks may be a complete mess but letting people walk off w/ 200-300k homes w/o a fight is kind of anathema to their existence. I'm wondering about the PR nightmare if you hired goons to start cracking skulls of these worthless individuals.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoez View Post
the mans, real facebook page.
Adverse Possession Services - Education - Douglasville, GA | Facebook

its already happening across the country..

here is another guy doing it in TX

Buying A House For 16 Dollars - YouTube

This case is a little different than the other.The bank went of business and no one has claimed the house as an asset .The home owner simply walked away.
I would never do it but if what he is doing is legal and he cannot afford a house himself,I say more power to him.I have seen houses in neighborhoods(including mine)that are nice but are in limbo.No one taking care of the grass,the house get vandalized because they are empty and by then there is no chance of anyone getting the house legally.
As long as they are not doing illegal stuff and taking care of the property,so be it.Not how I would like to live but if its between this and being homeless....Then Beverly Hills here I come.LOL.People shoot themselves in the foot by being too righteous sometimes.

Last edited by afonega1; 12-22-2011 at 06:46 PM..

Old 12-22-2011, 06:58 PM

714 posts, read 813,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
This case is a little different than the other.The bank went of business and no one has claimed the house as an asset .The home owner simply walked away.
I would never do it but if what he is doing is legal and he cannot afford a house himself,I say more power to him.I have seen houses in neighborhoods(including mine)that are nice but are in limbo.No one taking care of the grass,the house get vandalized because they are empty and by then there is no chance of anyone getting the house legally.
As long as they are not doing illegal stuff and taking care of the property,so be it.Not how I would like to live but if its between this and being homeless....Then Beverly Hills here I come.LOL.People shoot themselves in the foot by being too righteous sometimes.
Indeed. If someone leaves their car unlocked and unattended, it really is anybody's for the taking, isnt it? As long as they take care of it and pay for the insurance, right? I mean, if you cant afford it, it doesnt mean you dont DESERVE it, right? Paying for stuff should be optional, and based purely on one's ability and willingness to pay. Next time you eat a nice meal at a restaurant, and then afterwards discover that, because their food was soooo good and tempting, you couldnt help but order more than you could afford, so really its their fault you cant pay, right? Surre. Certainly the waiter doesnt deserve a tip for selling you on the expensive items! Or, at worst, the rich guy sitting next to you should be forced to pick up your tab, because he clearly has more money than he needs.

ITS ONLY FAIR! After all.......

Old 12-22-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Indeed. If someone leaves their car unlocked and unattended, it really is anybody's for the taking, isnt it? As long as they take care of it and pay for the insurance, right? I mean, if you cant afford it, it doesnt mean you dont DESERVE it, right? Paying for stuff should be optional, and based purely on one's ability and willingness to pay. Next time you eat a nice meal at a restaurant, and then afterwards discover that, because their food was soooo good and tempting, you couldnt help but order more than you could afford, so really its their fault you cant pay, right? Surre. Certainly the waiter doesnt deserve a tip for selling you on the expensive items! Or, at worst, the rich guy sitting next to you should be forced to pick up your tab, because he clearly has more money than he needs.

ITS ONLY FAIR! After all.......
Is it fair that we live in a society where gender and race determine whether the ability you have to succeed is measured before given the chance to try to compete?Or even just to live?
Lets not be so naive.
So of course there are extremes but hes FOLLOWING the law.LAW DOES NOT EQUAL MORALITY!!!!!!!
I never made the rules nor would I teach my kids to think good things in life should be given to you.However what I will teach them is when all else fails and they have exhausted all means,they should do all that is within the laws of society to protect themeselves and live knowing that they made a way by using and keeping their wits to survive.
Tax breaks for wealthy like corporate welfair,subsidies,and tax havens and shelters are destroying this country.Change the laws and maybe the need for people to do deparate things in bad times will dimish.
Do you really think I or anybody else would care a rats ass if I was doing what I had to survive?

This is why I had issues with the dude doing this.He has a college degree,another license and was in the military.He has no need to do any of this accept that he is greedy and has some type of complex where he feels hes getting over.I feel sorry for him because after his mother died I feel like he just wants to screw the world.Those not with him are against him.

I agree that if everyone did this it would be the collapse of our economy and way of life so I do NOT condone it under his reasoning.Especially to be so cavalier about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta