Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 02:27 PM

369 posts, read 655,848 times

Advertisements

So the unemployment rate dropped a lot in November 2011 to 9.2% from 9.9% in October 2011 and its said to be driven by the addition of new jobs. IMO I can believe that, it seems more likely than people just dropping out of the labor pool (Why would they drop out now and this many at once?).

how much of a role did the Hire One Atlanta program (http://www.atlantaga.gov/media/hireatlanta.aspx - broken link)play in bringing it down?

The latest report I could find was this below,
Hire One Atlanta hits 10,000 hires by 1,100 companies | SaportaReport
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 02:30 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,768,868 times
I just hope it continues. I know my company has hired 5 new people in the past month and we will hire 2 more next month.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:16 PM

4,688 posts, read 7,998,457 times
Probably some of those are seasonal holiday workers but we plan on hiring 3 people next year

Old 12-22-2011, 06:38 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,392,551 times
Has to be holiday jobs

Old 12-22-2011, 06:41 PM

969 posts, read 1,953,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Has to be holiday jobs
Do people even bother reading?

"Most of the growth was in private service-related industries, such as trade, transportation, warehousing, professional and business services, education, health care and financial services.

Also, there were fewer layoffs in construction, manufacturing, wholesale trade, administrative and support services, and accommodation and food services, the labor department said."

Old 12-22-2011, 08:37 PM

369 posts, read 655,848 times
Metro Atlanta jobless rate tumbles *| ajc.com

Old 12-22-2011, 08:46 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,786,482 times
What about people who are no longer on unemployment, but have not found jobs?

Old 12-23-2011, 07:22 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,294,859 times
I wonder about that inconvenient little detail too. But it seems as though everyone is sold on the official corporate media cover(up) story and don't care to be bothered by such minutiae.

After all, the truth is much scarier than fiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
What about people who are no longer on unemployment, but have not found jobs?

Last edited by AcidSnake; 12-23-2011 at 07:37 AM..

Old 12-23-2011, 07:30 AM

876 posts, read 2,272,347 times
While it is good news on the surface, I don't think it means a lot yet. I say wait and see. I know some firms in my field are hiring large numbers of people, but just like you guys, what I know is anecdotal evidence and probably not enough in sheer numbers for counting towards the employment rates. I think some people give up looking for work at various times and it can skew the numbers. Let's just hope the unemployment rate continues to decrease.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:32 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,344,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I wonder about that inconvenient little detail too. But it seems as though everyone is sold on the official corporate media cover(up) story and don't care to be bothered by such minutiae.

After all, the truth is much scarier than fiction.
They are still counted. Unemployment is done via survey and not based on unemployment insurance counts. You are counted regardless if you owned your own business and were ineligible for UI. As long as you are looking, you are counted. If you curl up in a ball in your parents' home b/c rejection has crushed you, then you have left the workforce and are not counted. This has been the case for decades. Unemployment filings is a separate statistic.

How the Government Measures Unemployment

Quote:
Who is counted as unemployed?
Persons are classified as unemployed if they do not have a job, have actively looked for work in the prior 4 weeks, and are currently available for work. Actively looking for work may consist of any of the following activities:

Contacting:
An employer directly or having a job interview
A public or private employment agency
Friends or relatives
A school or university employment center
Sending out resumes or filling out applications
Placing or answering advertisements
Checking union or professional registers
Some other means of active job search
Passive methods of job search do not have the potential to result in a job offer and therefore do not qualify as active job search methods. Examples of passive methods include attending a job training program or course, or merely reading about job openings that are posted in newspapers or on the Internet.

Workers expecting to be recalled from temporary layoff are counted as unemployed, whether or not they have engaged in a specific jobseeking activity. In all other cases, the individual must have been engaged in at least one active job search activity in the 4 weeks preceding the interview and be available for work (except for temporary illness).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: