Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 08:25 PM

81 posts, read 291,637 times

Advertisements

Woodward Academy is Christian-based but fairly secular in their curriculum. They do have chapel services every now and then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 06:46 AM

513 posts, read 1,625,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagmypts View Post
So, so true:-)
It turns out Jesus really does love the little children

I'm debating this issue as well. Love our home, hate our school disctrict. We'll probably move in a couple of years when our daugther starts school, but if we decided to stay put we'll definitely have to look into cheaper private schooling. I'd definitely want to quiz a church about their science views, but I guess that's not much of an issue for a 5-year-old.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:15 PM

297 posts, read 1,533,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windu View Post
You've completely missed the deadlines for Woodward and the other private schools. Admissions letters went out Friday. The ball gets rolling in the fall with application deadlines in early February.
FYI, this thread was initially started in August of 2007. I did not realize that when I first repsonded either!

Old 04-08-2008, 06:22 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,888,478 times
I glad to see this discussion taking place. My children attend a Christian private school and I get very tired of parents voicing their concerns that the kids have chapel too often (once a week and on Holy Days) or that they don't need a separate chaplain for preschool, lower school, middle, high... Parents need to think more about what they are really looking for in a private school - academically and spiritually. With the admission process so competitive, I think many parents are just happy to get their child accepted anywhere and figure they'll "fix" the school after their child starts their.

If you are not interested in a Christian education, don't send your child to a Christian school. As this thread supports, you have other good options.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:27 AM

297 posts, read 1,533,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I glad to see this discussion taking place. My children attend a Christian private school and I get very tired of parents voicing their concerns that the kids have chapel too often (once a week and on Holy Days) or that they don't need a separate chaplain for preschool, lower school, middle, high... Parents need to think more about what they are really looking for in a private school - academically and spiritually. With the admission process so competitive, I think many parents are just happy to get their child accepted anywhere and figure they'll "fix" the school after their child starts their.

If you are not interested in a Christian education, don't send your child to a Christian school. As this thread supports, you have other good options.
Great point, and one that is so true! I think that some time people forget that one school does not fit all kids. There is no one best school in Atlanta. The private school admission process should be about finding the best fit for your child, and as his/her parent, you will know the right fit when you find it. It takes a lot of leg work, but finding a good fit makes it all worth while. Good luck to all of those who are trying to make that decision now!

Old 04-08-2008, 01:46 PM

39 posts, read 244,458 times
I agree- we all want to FIND the best fit for our child- but from what we have experienced and seen with our friends- it is more like the schools choose you. I think people should really only apply if they would truly send their child there. Our friends are accepted at Lovett and not happy and not sure what to do. Then I say give up that spot to a family who would be thrilled with it! Most families I know applied to 3 or 4 schools and were maybe accepted at 1 or 2 - many times wait-listed. Unfortunately we don't get to just go around and say ah yes, this is it and enroll.

I do think it works out how it is meant to be. It is not fun and is so competitive - but in the end, we will all survive. I tell my friends we are lucky to have these "dilemmas" b/c for some - they might want to go private and can't.

We are wait-listed at our 1st choice and accepted at our 2nd. We plan on accepting our 2nd choice on the deadline. I toured 4 schools and only completed the admissions process at two. I knew from one tour I would NEVER send our child there so I withdrew our application b/c I didn't want to "get" a spot I knew we wouldn't accept.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 4,370 times
You should look at McGinnis Woods Country Day School in Alpharetta. It is not affiliated with any religion. I have had my daughter there for 11 years and it is just a fantastic school. The teachers are superb.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:55 AM

381 posts, read 504,717 times
there was a recent ga bill that was passed that allows private school tuition vouchers for student that have attended at least one school year in a public school. unfortunately, when we moved to ga, our son went straight into private school thereby disqualifying him for the voucher.

if tuition is a factor, then send your child to public for at lease a year. then take advantage of the voucher to any private school of your choice. for non-religion based, i recommend international schools.

-a|ex

Old 02-11-2009, 10:55 PM

401 posts, read 1,726,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine Shadow View Post
there was a recent ga bill that was passed that allows private school tuition vouchers for student that have attended at least one school year in a public school. unfortunately, when we moved to ga, our son went straight into private school thereby disqualifying him for the voucher.

if tuition is a factor, then send your child to public for at lease a year. then take advantage of the voucher to any private school of your choice. for non-religion based, i recommend international schools.

-a|ex
That law only applies to special needs kids. However, there is another bill in the GA legislature now that would provide vouchers (of about $5000) to all kids who want to move from a public school to either a private school or to another public school in a different district/zone.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:21 AM

168 posts, read 558,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
You should look at McGinnis Woods Country Day School in Alpharetta. It is not affiliated with any religion. I have had my daughter there for 11 years and it is just a fantastic school. The teachers are superb.
Check the thread date before posting. The last post was 4/2008, so I'm guessing the OP had his/her question answered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta