Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 11:53 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyte3k View Post
"In God We Trust" is optional ($1 more i think),
I'd buy that for a dollar!

Last edited by Bideshi; 12-28-2011 at 12:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 12:33 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
You are totally not getting my point.

My point is that many of these charities have had fallen on hard times with the lack of donations. I am saying if thse religious jerks are so hyped up on showing off their love for Christ, then the coffers of these organizations should be overflowing with donations to help their fellow Americans who are down on their luck.

Why obsess over putting some lettering on a muthafreakin' license plate when there are people in this state who are hurting badly?

It's a monumental sin to me that there are a small group of people in this country sitting on top of 4 trillion dollars in uncirculated wealth while their fellow American citizens are suffering. So there should be a campaign coming from these Christian Conservatives to ask their fellow brethren of ample means to open those wallets up a bit wider to serve their fellow man.

Afterall, isn't generous giving in line with the philosophy of Jesus Christ?

Otherwise, it's time to New Deal these Ebenezer Scrooges and have the government tax them to the level neccessary to help the unemployed and downtrodden.

My opinion and I am sticking to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
The Salvation Army is a church...they do many charitable things but aren't quite like the Red Cross and subject to close scrutiny in how they spend money. You can be a wealthy Christian and not donate to the Salvation Army based on other reasons beyond your philanthropy.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:39 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I don't consider myself superior, other than I don't try to force my religious beliefs on others. What I say is demonstrably true. Southerners in general are all about god in your face and have a hard time keeping religion a private and personal matter. Some are not in that mold.
I'm a native and have never run across that as phenomenon in the South or elsewhere. Getting in somebody's face about religion is obnoxious, no matter what part of the country you're in. Maybe you are running with the wrong crowd, Neil?

That being said, I have occasionally run across folks all around the world who were convinced they'd just discovered the key to life and wanted to share it with me. I was once having coffee in a pleasant cafe on the Via San Prospero when a fellow plopped down and wanted to tell us all about salvation. But I consider him an aberration.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:32 PM

288 posts, read 959,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
You are totally not getting my point.

My point is that many of these charities have had fallen on hard times with the lack of donations. I am saying if thse religious jerks are so hyped up on showing off their love for Christ, then the coffers of these organizations should be overflowing with donations to help their fellow Americans who are down on their luck.

Why obsess over putting some lettering on a muthafreakin' license plate when there are people in this state who are hurting badly?

It's a monumental sin to me that there are a small group of people in this country sitting on top of 4 trillion dollars in uncirculated wealth while their fellow American citizens are suffering. So there should be a campaign coming from these Christian Conservatives to ask their fellow brethren of ample means to open those wallets up a bit wider to serve their fellow man.

Afterall, isn't generous giving in line with the philosophy of Jesus Christ?

Otherwise, it's time to New Deal these Ebenezer Scrooges and have the government tax them to the level neccessary to help the unemployed and downtrodden.

My opinion and I am sticking to it.
Most religious organizations/churches already do donate quite a bit of money to help poor, needy, homeless, so what are you babbling about?? I honestly don't see anything wrong with the "In God We Trust" its on our money, what's the difference of it being on our license plate, plus its an option, otherwise just put your stupid county on there. WHats the big deal?!!

I think just a simple "Peach State" would be a better option, plain and simple.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:47 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan840 View Post
Most religious organizations/churches already do donate quite a bit of money to help poor, needy, homeless, so what are you babbling about?? I honestly don't see anything wrong with the "In God We Trust" its on our money, what's the difference of it being on our license plate, plus its an option, otherwise just put your stupid county on there. WHats the big deal?!!

I think just a simple "Peach State" would be a better option, plain and simple.
The big deal is that there shouldn't be an extra fee, even if it is only a measly $1, for SOME people to exercise their constitutionally guaranteed freedom of religion, but it's government sanctioned for others.

The fact that it's on our currency...look into why that's the case. It's actually pretty embarrassing and sad.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:55 PM

288 posts, read 959,167 times
Either way, it is an option so if people don't like it then don't get it seems pretty simple to me. You can also get one of the specialty plates if both the county or In God We Trust bother ya. Has a different saying at the bottom. It's a bit pricier, but you won't have either of those on your plate if it bothers you that much.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:58 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Where is In God We Trust County?

Old 12-28-2011, 01:59 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,938 times
Quote:
Either way, it is an option so if people don't like it then don't get it seems pretty simple to me. You can also get one of the specialty plates if both the county or In God We Trust bother ya. Has a different saying at the bottom. It's a bit pricier, but you won't have either of those on your plate if it bothers you that much.
One should not have to pay to opt out of displaying governmentally sponsored religious propaganda.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:00 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
You're glossing over the fact that there is a movement in the state legislature to make "In God we trust" the default on license plates, with the option to pay $1 for a sticker to cover "In God we trust." So, while there would be an option if this passed, the option costs money, while the religious version does not.

That is an extraordinarily simple and obvious example of government favoring one religious belief over another.

If they were all free, or all cost the same amount of money, there would be no issue. If one is going to be free by default, it should be the secular one.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:21 PM

43 posts, read 66,676 times
Quote:
Actually on some specialty plates the county name is still displayed.

http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/p...tesamples.aspx

2nd, that's part of the point. We should have to pay to not promote a religion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta