Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:29 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,976,453 times

Advertisements

How can you trust someone who may or may not exist ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 10:25 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,159,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
How can you trust someone who may or may not exist ?
Now, as a believer in our Constitution, I completely support anyone being religious and having faith in whatever religion they want to believe.

Having said that, the really ironic thing is that folks want to put that saying on our license plates, when in reality there isn't a shred of hard evidence to prove that a god exists and that I or anyone should "trust" that god, and if the truth be told, lots of scientific evidence to the contrary (a whole other conversation).

Again...so people don't have a cow...I fully support your right to have faith in and trust your god. I just don't share your faith and trust and don't want it proclaimed on my car.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:14 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,300,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
While I agree with your point, is it new? I recently returned to Florida after 12 years elsewhere, and I seem to remember that was always an option. Am I wrong?
Yes, it's new within the last couple of years

Old 01-09-2012, 01:00 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,614,866 times
I was raised Catholic and went to parochial school. We were taught that the most Jesus-like thing you can do is love your fellow neighbor, and shoving your religious beliefs onto others was rude. It amazes me how Protestants don't seem to share those ideals.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:52 AM

300 posts, read 347,148 times
I was reading the entire thread and I just can't believe the ignorance people have to separation of church and state. People like Stars&StripesForever know nothing about it apparently. Christianity is NOT a Christian Nation and you can find that in the Treaty of Tripoli. Founding Fathers like Thomas Jefferson were deists. I currently live in Wisconsin and I am glad that we don't have a "In God We Trust" plate. Although I live in a part of the state where it is dominated by the tea party and extreme Catholics, I never had to endure what is in the South. As for the Indiana "In God We Trust plate", it is optional and you don't have to pay extra for the county plate. It isn't in the same predicament like Georgia. Enforcement of Christianity in the US and Islam in the Middle East is not apples and oranges. You are saying that because you don't know what it is like NOT to be a Christian.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:43 AM

165 posts, read 483,483 times
And the length of this thread proves how dividing and intrusive religion is in our world.

Look at the license plate issue... look at the anti-gay marriage issue...look at oppressive religious-based governments in the middle east... look at violent religious fundamentalists in the middle east ...look at the violent religious folk in Nigeria...look at the catholic priest/child issue...look at the GOP(i kid i kid ) etc etc

I'm not saying you cannot be religious, but I'm just saying that nothing good ever comes out when a religious group tries to enforce their views upon others.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:28 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,031,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyte3k View Post
And the length of this thread proves how dividing and intrusive religion is in our world.
The problem isn't religion. It's zealotry. That comes in non-religious flavors as well.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:57 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,139,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
I was raised Catholic and went to parochial school. We were taught that the most Jesus-like thing you can do is love your fellow neighbor, and shoving your religious beliefs onto others was rude. It amazes me how Protestants don't seem to share those ideals.
I wouldn't say that all Protestants do this. Some do, however.

That being said, I do agree with your sentiment.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:47 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,031,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Most of the protestant churches in the midwestern US ascribe to those ideals, and going out and recruiting was not that much of a focus when I was growing up in a protestant church. I was taught to set a good example, not to bring in warm bodies.

I'm talking about Presbyterian, UCC, Methodist, Lutheran, and the like.

What you describe sounds like southern Baptist to me, but they tend to dominate this area. That isn't true in many other regions.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:24 PM

69 posts, read 443,581 times
wouldnt the state and county putting religious tags on license plates be in violation of "Separation of Church and State"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta