Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 03:35 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Looks like the light rail to.Cobb still has a chance

This is the portion I am praying for...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 03:44 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,317 times
Welcome to Georgia where moving forward is actually moving in reverse.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:05 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
I forgot to realize this is only Atlanta.

If rail is to come to Gwinnett, it will likely be handled by the county itself and not MARTA (which I find to be a good thing.)

In fact, it has already been studied: Gwinnett Village Community Improvement District - I-85 Corridor Light Rail Transit System

If transit ever evolves in Atlanta, I bet this is what we will see. Many community systems connecting to MARTA. Probably not the most efficient model, but I can totally see why residents would would to maintain control over their systems and not let MARTA run them.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:37 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
NC's first modern toll road. Look at the gorgeous cantilevered signage. I would give anything if Georgia would hire NCDOT to do Atlanta's signage. Right now there are 4-5 different typefaces being used, crooked gantries over the roads, and cantilevers aren't allowed anymore which is idiotic.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:41 PM

67 posts, read 250,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
This is an idiotic statement. Even if it may have possibly at one time been true, I highly doubt it is still the case. Perhaps you should forget some of the notions that you picked up while growing up in Atlanta and see it for the city that it has turned into before your eyes, if you can.
What is your basis for being so confident that racism is not a factor in this matter? I have heard these statements from people's mouths. It doesn't become any more real than that.

As a lifelong Atlantan I am incredibly aware at the city that this has become. We are a lot more sophisticated, have a lot more people, have more shopping choices, more white collar jobs, but we also have racism. You must be living in a constant drunken stupor if you think otherwise.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:48 PM

67 posts, read 250,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
I strongly agree, but isn't there SOMETHING Atlanta can do to stop it? Is it really TOO LATE to take a page from Portland and try to stop the sprawl before Atlanta becomes another LA?
(Not that I have any problem with LA, because I LOVE LA. What LA is works for LA. But I don't think it will work for Atlanta in the long run when business start to leave in boat loads because the city got out of hand. I don't think Atlanta can survive that).

Could Georgia draw up an urban growth limit and make it law, forcing all future development to happen inside of the boundaries, make Atlanta a more urban core, which would also force more people to move inside the growth boundary, making their commutes shorter and making it easier to have new transit options that will have ridership.????
There are plenty of things that Atlanta could do, but there is nothing that Atlanta will do. Oregon's politics are almost the polar opposite of Georgia's. Urban growth boundaries drive up real estate prices. One of Georgia's primary growth drivers has been cheap real estate. Politicians, businesspeople, and most Atlantans will not go for such a radical proposal that could effectively stop the growth that Georgia relies on like a life support system.

Atlanta is worse than LA. LA is the densest metropolitan area in the country. It may sprawl on for miles and miles but there is not a lot of empty land in between the sprawl. Atlanta has tons of land in between the sprawl. In my view we are worse off than LA when it comes to leapfrog development and sprawl. Pretty soon we're going to start have developers building subdivisions in Alabama marketing them as being in the Atlanta area.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:44 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl85 View Post
As a lifelong Atlantan I am incredibly aware at the city that this has become. We are a lot more sophisticated, have a lot more people, have more shopping choices, more white collar jobs, but we also have racism.
agreed, I'm tired of all of those Black politicians doing everything they can to keep non-Blacks out of govt.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:57 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
agreed, I'm tired of all of those Black politicians doing everything they can to keep non-Blacks out of govt.
Now u see how blacks felt for 400 years

Old 01-03-2012, 09:24 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Now u see how blacks felt for 400 years
Good excuse for poor governing.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:53 PM

40 posts, read 84,313 times
Atlanta already has MARTA which cost billions and is barely ridden and the routes have recently been reduced due to poor ridership , so what makes everyone think light rail should go out to the less densely populated areas? Most of the major counties have busing which ties into MARTA. The public subsidy on light rail is much higher per rider than streets and thus more roads is the logical choice. The main driver (pun intended) is the cheap cost of fuel... if it was taxed like in Europe more would use public transportation.

I laugh that the Atlanta beltway is even considered a transportation project as if you do the math you will see with all the stops planned, the number of miles of the route and the speed the "train " would travel it would take 2 hours to make a full circle! It is a public parks project which the city should fund itself.

The transportation issue probably could easily be solved in 10 years by requiring all vehicles to be computer controlled like the jetsons.... You could immediately triple the highway capacity without adding a single square foot of road and further increase efficiency of vehicle travel by reducing accidents. Did you hear me Ga Tech????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta