Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 01:44 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Phoenix is becoming a mecca for African Americans as well. The affordable cost of living and being centrally located to other major cities such as San Diego, Las Vegas, Los Angeles make it a great choice for relocation. Also not to mention theres a lot growth and opportunities there that could be
hugh advantage to living there. Aside from heat, which is a dry heat Phoenix really is on the come-up. Don't sleep on Phoenix.
Perhaps, but there is another thing that would make me pass of Phoenix: Bad public transportation, worse than Atlanta.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:45 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
Welcome to the dysfunctional mess that is Atlanta. The city that time forgot.

I definitely high-tailed out of there as soon as I could. As you can tell from the posters on BOTH sides of this argument there is some serious disconnect going on. Its boosters appear to be grasping at straws while Atlanta implodes and Georgia fails to attract high-paying jobs, refuses to accept tax raises to improve infrastructure/education and shirks from tackling its pollution and sprawl issues effectively.

I suggest you move to a real city, not this strip mall capital under "a canopy of trees" - you may pay more in taxes, but your quality of life will rise and you won't be caught in these circular race arguments.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Atlanta's supposed implosion is again nothing more than your twisted, delusional wish. Don't hold your breath.

As far as race matters go, I'll take Atlanta ANY DAY over your extremely polorized, overpriced hell-hole.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:56 PM

40 posts, read 70,858 times
In an attempt to post some relevance to the topic, is there data that details the types of jobs that are held by blacks (and other races)? That may help answer the thread's question.

If a black physician is making mid-6 figures with his own practice, I find it improbable he would call <insert blighted area> home. On the other side of the coin, my Filipino uncle making $9 per hour, 20 hours per week, would probably not be living in a 10-bedroom house in Alpharetta.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:43 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMikeJAX View Post
In an attempt to post some relevance to the topic, is there data that details the types of jobs that are held by blacks (and other races)? That may help answer the thread's question.

If a black physician is making mid-6 figures with his own practice, I find it improbable he would call <insert blighted area> home. On the other side of the coin, my Filipino uncle making $9 per hour, 20 hours per week, would probably not be living in a 10-bedroom house in Alpharetta.
My point exactly. My father is Black, he is an airplane engineer. His job involves sitting in front of the computer and designing plane parts. He also works in another state. Why would he lived in a blighted area? If The Bluff was populated by Black doctors, engineers, and professionals, the crime rate in the Bluff would be much lower, as there would be more educated people there. The question is, why aren't Black professionals living in the Bluff? Better yet, why would anyone of any race live there at this moment?

Old 01-23-2012, 04:04 PM

538 posts, read 926,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
The world is awash in positive stuff about blacks. Why? Of course it's absolutely verboten, its considered ignorant, racist, etc for anyone to ever say anything negative about blacks. People get sued for it, apologies are demanded, jobs are lost, my god it's impossible to say anything bad about blacks in a public forum.

Meanwhile whites are mocked, ridiculed, lambasted and scorned for being "too white". Whites are linked to native american genocide, slavery, third world colonization, war mongerering, abuse of indigenous people, racism (constantly), and so on. Movies are made today so that, almost universally, the white guy is the bad guy, the villain, the fool, the jackass, the cretin, while blacks are portrayed as noble and admirable, often because of difficulties forced upon them by whites.

The general narrative is definitely in your favor. Pardon me for daring to engage in free speech, and challenge conventional wisdom.
Great post Tigers........the main difference between the "negative" images of blacks and whites in the media is that the black " negative" images are generally on the news (i.e. Facts) , whereas the white negative images are usually made up......commercials, sitcoms, dramas, etc..... The assault on white kids self-esteem right now is unprecedented in the history of propaganda....

Old 01-23-2012, 05:13 PM

714 posts, read 813,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
Great post Tigers........the main difference between the "negative" images of blacks and whites in the media is that the black " negative" images are generally on the news (i.e. Facts) , whereas the white negative images are usually made up......commercials, sitcoms, dramas, etc..... The assault on white kids self-esteem right now is unprecedented in the history of propaganda....
Absolutely NW. It's beyond anything I could have ever imagined.

At some point the pendulum swings too far, and I think we are getting nearer that point. Otherwise I truly do fear for our nation's future.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Absolutely NW. It's beyond anything I could have ever imagined.

At some point the pendulum swings too far, and I think we are getting nearer that point. Otherwise I truly do fear for our nation's future.
You and I are constantly maligned on this forum as "racists".....but I can tell that you are very much like me and yearn for better race relations in this country. The problem is that "the other side" wants to have better race relations in a one-sided manner....."whites are evil....blacks are noble.....etc.". They refuse to acknowledge the incredible contributions of White Western Civilization to the uplifting of mankind including blacks, and want to, instead, pretend like whites are the root of all evil in the world. Moreover, they want to ignore the realities with regard to race relations......e.g. black on white crime is epidemic.....not just in this country but worldwide. For example, the majority of rapes in Sweden are perpetrated by "people of color". Until we can have an honest, factual, reality based discussion of race then we will never move forward on the subject. Thanks for your informative and honest posts....and your refusal to cave in to the usual PC BS.....

And back on topic.....I think blacks are generally moving to places that whites have created as good places to live (I don't see a great influx of whites into Central Africa for example)....what happens next for those areas is the topic for another thread I suppose.....(see Clayton County over the last 30 years or so)....

Old 01-23-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
So, the root of your racial animosity stems from the fact that a hard working Alonzo Herndon "made it" while your family did not? This hardly validates the venom you regularly spew here.
On the contrary.......I don't have "racial animosity"....just call reality like I see it. My family has done quite well. After working his way through law school during the great depression and serving this country for four years in WWII, my father was a very successful attorney. The fact that his father lost most everything in the Great Depression has never been something we tried to hide or felt shame over.....many people lost their fortunes in the Great Depression....what their families did thereafter is the true story. I point out the juxtaposition between my family's fortunes and the Herndons as proof positive that this is a great country that allowed/allows people of all walks of life and colors to excel. Something that people who want to use race as a "crutch" don't want to admit. If the Herndon's could make it in the early part of the 19th century in a "racist", "Jim Crow" society....then why can't all the young blacks crying "racism" while driving their leased Escalades do the same thing......

Old 01-23-2012, 05:56 PM

864 posts, read 1,123,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
You and I are constantly maligned on this forum as "racists".....but I can tell that you are very much like me and yearn for better race relations in this country. The problem is that "the other side" wants to have better race relations in a one-sided manner....."whites are evil....blacks are noble.....etc.". They refuse to acknowledge the incredible contributions of White Western Civilization to the uplifting of mankind including blacks, and want to, instead, pretend like whites are the root of all evil in the world. Moreover, they want to ignore the realities with regard to race relations......e.g. black on white crime is epidemic.....not just in this country but worldwide. For example, the majority of rapes in Sweden are perpetrated by "people of color". Until we can have an honest, factual, reality based discussion of race then we will never move forward on the subject. Thanks for your informative and honest posts....and your refusal to cave in to the usual PC BS.....

And back on topic.....I think blacks are generally moving to places that whites have created as good places to live (I don't see a great influx of whites into Central Africa for example)....what happens next for those areas is the topic for another thread I suppose.....(see Clayton County over the last 30 years or so)....
The problem is your idea of "an honest discussion about race" is using statistics and stereotypes to blame every black for everything another one does instead of seeing then as individuals. You don't want to talk about how most black are not criminals or stereotypes but you want use to take the blame for the lowest common denominator. No dice. Yeah, it's sad if black gangsters ruin some neighborhood ms but I don't participate in that so how is that relevant to me aside from skin color?

Old 01-23-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
The problem is your idea of "an honest discussion about race" is using statistics and stereotypes to blame every black for everything another one does instead of seeing then as individuals. You don't want to talk about how most black are not criminals or stereotypes but you want use to take the blame for the lowest common denominator. No dice. Yeah, it's sad if black gangsters ruin some neighborhood ms but I don't participate in that so how is that relevant to me aside from skin color?
Well now...you can start by calling out the blacks that cause the problems....instead of reelecting them to office (see Alcee Hastings and Marion Barry)........or pretending that the problems don't exist e.g. black on white crime in this city and all over the world is a "stereotype"...quit apologizing and making excuses and calling folks like Tigers84 "racist" instead of calling out your own people. If Alcee Hastings or Marion Barry were white, living in white voting districts, they would never have been reelected to public office.....get it? The majority of crime in Atlanta is created by black folks....that's a fact....you want to call that fact a "stereotype" and call me a "racist" for stating a fact......see the problem dude? We have a black DA in Fulton County and not one person has been prosecuted for the Atlanta Public Schools cheating scandal.....I suppose its "racist" to bring up that point. Where is Andrew Young, Jesse Jackson, the King family, Al Sharpton, you....calling for prosecutions. Had that happened in Alpharetta the community would be up in arms to have someone prosecuted.....see the difference.....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta