Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 04:57 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,690,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i don't know if blacks are moving out of the intown area but if that's true i wish they'd stay. for so long blacks and whites have been playing cat and mouse, first it was the whites who didn't want to live where the blacks lived, and now the whites are moving back in town and the blacks are moving out. i wish people would just get along. can't we have nice in town communities where blacks and whites can live in peace together?
I live intown and wish we could get more diversity in my neighborhood! I have a pretty diverse group of friends that I associate with and even though we are all friends it seems that we kind of live in segregated neighborhoods. Most of my black friends live in SW Atlanta(Cascade) and my white friends in Druid Hills, Ansley Park, Buckhead etc. I am in an interracial marriage most people do actually realize since my wife is half white half black and I am Hispanic/white. I look white and she looks light black but most people think she is Mediterranean. I wonder what neighborhoods intown have pretty equal amounts of each race?

Old 01-08-2012, 02:39 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
i don't know if blacks are moving out of the intown area but if that's true i wish they'd stay. for so long blacks and whites have been playing cat and mouse, first it was the whites who didn't want to live where the blacks lived, and now the whites are moving back in town and the blacks are moving out. i wish people would just get along. can't we have nice in town communities where blacks and whites can live in peace together?
I wish the same too. Unfortunately, what you describe is happening all over the nation. It has been happening for over 300 years. Black people have been unwanted by Whites and White people have been resented by many Black people. This is historical. Out in LA, Mexicans and African-Americans are killing each other and some African-Americans have left California to get away from the growing Hispanic population(it doesn't apply to every African-American leaving California, as many leave due to the cost of living/job opportunities elsewhere).

Old 01-08-2012, 08:26 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,072,906 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why that can't be done. It's being done in other parts of the Atlanta metro, and certainly in other parts of the country.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:29 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,846,478 times
Quote:
I don't think blacks are moving out to get away from whites. I think inner city blacks are moving out by being forced out (projects), bought out, or many can no longer afford to stay intown...

But I agree with you sentiments though...

Old 01-10-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
I live intown and wish we could get more diversity in my neighborhood! I have a pretty diverse group of friends that I associate with and even though we are all friends it seems that we kind of live in segregated neighborhoods. Most of my black friends live in SW Atlanta(Cascade) and my white friends in Druid Hills, Ansley Park, Buckhead etc. I am in an interracial marriage most people do actually realize since my wife is half white half black and I am Hispanic/white. I look white and she looks light black but most people think she is Mediterranean. I wonder what neighborhoods intown have pretty equal amounts of each race?
I totally agree...

Old 01-11-2012, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
The Black population in Atlanta is declining, at least the latest Census data will say so.

Where are the blacks relocating? Are they still remaining in the south?
South Dekalb, South Fulton, Clayton, Henry, Douglas, South Cobb, South Gwinnett, Conyers, Covington, Austell, etc. Although many Blacks move to the northern suburbs (like North Fulton, etc.), I don't think that many of them are the blacks that are moving out of the city...

Old 01-11-2012, 05:13 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,096,899 times
Everyone this is a good link to look at for this. County population at the bottom.

Census 2010 | atlantaregional.com

Old 01-11-2012, 05:40 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,096,899 times
Quote:
Preach )

But think it's black trying get away from whites, it's really 2 things. Yes Gentrification is one. The other I believe blacks are more into the fantasy of the suburban American dream thing. And whites are little pass that.

Old 4 ward example whites are moving in because Gentrification it's becoming nicer. Blacks are moving away because A some can't afford it now, B. Middle class, upper class are less of urban pioneers. I'm black and just hate that but it's the truth.

I also want the Asian, Latino and etc populations to grow in the city.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:43 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,888,943 times
Default Miss Becky

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
I wish southerners would realize we aren't being disrespectful by not saying "ma'am" or "sir", we just don't talk that way. And, if my kids pick that up, I'll be fine with it but it would be awkward for me to teach them that since we don't speak that way! We also say Mrs. Smith as opposed to Miss Becky and I think the former is more respectful but I have no issue with my kids addressing people the latter if that's what is done but again, we don't talk that way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
As to the "sir" and "ma'am" thing, maybe that is southern, though I've heard it all over the country and around the world. To my ears it's simply a term of respect. I still say sir and ma'm when I'm in a business setting or dealing with strangers. However, if someone doesn't follow that usage it's entirely inappropriate for a teacher to single them out.

As to the Miss Becky thing, I'm not sure that's a southernism. If so, it's pretty uncommon in my experience. Like you, we were brought up to simply say Mrs. Smith or Mr. Jones. That's how we addressed our teachers and other grownups.
When we talk about northern and southern it's probably worth noting that the vast majority of Atlantans are transplants from somewhere. So trying to define how "authentically" or "typically" southern this place is about like catching eels.
arjay's last paragraph about knowing what's "southern" is right on, but nonetheless, as a transplant from Canada I'm completely with livinginbuffalo on the stuff about kids and forms of address. I've particularly noticed this at church. Maybe it's peculiar to southern Episcopalians (me) and Roman Catholics (buffalo).

I've had all kinds of experiences along the lines of saying to a child at church "Did you have a nice Christmas?", the child responding "Yes, and Santa brought me a Barbie doll!" and the child's parent stepping forward to correct: "Yes, ma'am!" This stuff always made me feel awkward when my own child was young as, like buffalo, I never prompted her to say "ma'am" and "sir" because it's not natural to us. But when other people corrected their kids for not saying "ma'am" to me, I couldn't avoid the thought that they must think my child rude and badly brought-up.

I also get the "Miss Becky" form of address all the time from other peoples' kids at church.

livinginbuffalo, my child is now a high school senior and has lived here for the last 10 years. However, she's never picked up the southern (well, I think they're southern) forms of address. She doesn't use "ma'am" or "sir". "Mr X" and "Mizz Y" are her standard forms of address.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:12 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
... This stuff always made me feel awkward when my own child was young as, like buffalo, I never prompted her to say "ma'am" and "sir" because it's not natural to us. But when other people corrected their kids for not saying "ma'am" to me, I couldn't avoid the thought that they must think my child rude and badly brought-up.
Yep, it sounds like you've raised some pretty rude younguns there, Rainy.

Just kidding, of course -- "sir" and "ma'am" are definitely optional but I've always liked them because they convey a touch of respect. Not subservience or anything like that, simply a small courtesy to our fellow planetary inhabitants. I enjoy seeing the smile that it sometimes brings, and occasionally you even find someone who holds their head a little higher or has a bit of spring in their step.

At the same time, I'm in no way put off by those who don't use those terms. It's simply their choice.

My first grade teacher, who was as sweet as pie but perhaps prone to take a nip to get her though the afternoon, used to write on the blackboard what she called the magic words:

Please
Thank you
Yes, ma'am
No, sir.

"These words will take you far in life and open many doors for you," she told us. Looking back from 60 years later, in my estimation she was quite right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta